• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF stage 16 betting , where to put the money ?

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Stage 16 - Winner
9/2
Vincenzo Nibali
6/1
Cadel Evans
9/1
Jurgen Van Den Broeck
9/1
Pierre Rolland
10/1
Chris Froome
16/1
Bradley Wiggins
20/1
Alejandro Valverde
20/1
Frank Schleck
28/1
Thibaut Pinot
33/1
Juan Jose Cobo Acebo
33/1
Vasil Kiryienka
40/1
Chris Anker Sorensen
40/1
Michele Scarponi
40/1
Rein Taaramae
40/1
Tejay Van Garderen
50/1
Alexandre Vinokourov
50/1
Daniel Martin
50/1
Janez Brajkovic
50/1
Luis-leon Sanchez
50/1
Peter Velits
50/1
Rui Alberto Costa
50/1
Sandy Casar
66/1
Fredrik Kessiakoff
66/1
Simon Gerrans
80/1
Christopher Horner
80/1
Thomas Voeckler
100/1
Brice Feillu
100/1
Christophe Kern
100/1
Christophe Riblon
100/1
Denis Menchov
100/1
Jelle Vanendert
100/1
Michael Albasini
100/1
Nicolas Roche
100/1
Peter Sagan
1/4 Odds Place 1,2,3

i think the 9/2 nibali has to be the bet doesnt it guys ? he has to try and close the gap in GC and the stage does look taylormade for him ?

opinions please .

shades1 said:
Stage 16 - Winner
9/2
Vincenzo Nibali
6/1
Cadel Evans
9/1
Jurgen Van Den Broeck
9/1
Pierre Rolland
10/1
Chris Froome
16/1
Bradley Wiggins
20/1
Alejandro Valverde
20/1
Frank Schleck
28/1
Thibaut Pinot
33/1
Juan Jose Cobo Acebo
33/1
Vasil Kiryienka
40/1
Chris Anker Sorensen
40/1
Michele Scarponi
40/1
Rein Taaramae
40/1
Tejay Van Garderen
50/1
Alexandre Vinokourov
50/1
Daniel Martin
50/1
Janez Brajkovic
50/1
Luis-leon Sanchez
50/1
Peter Velits
50/1
Rui Alberto Costa
50/1
Sandy Casar
66/1
Fredrik Kessiakoff
66/1
Simon Gerrans
80/1
Christopher Horner
80/1
Thomas Voeckler
100/1
Brice Feillu
100/1
Christophe Kern
100/1
Christophe Riblon
100/1
Denis Menchov
100/1
Jelle Vanendert
100/1
Michael Albasini
100/1
Nicolas Roche
100/1
Peter Sagan
1/4 Odds Place 1,2,3

i think the 9/2 nibali has to be the bet doesnt it guys ? he has to try and close the gap in GC and the stage does look taylormade for him ?

opinions please .

I think a breakaway rider or a last minute attacker for the GC contenders will win. Rolland or VDB should be safer bets than Nibbles. Pinot looks decent at 33/1. Age is the problem with him. This is his first tour, so not sure about his recovery powers, but worth taking a punt.

shades1 said:

I don't know, 9/2 looks way risky to me. Nibali is probably the favourite for the stage out of the GC group, but who knows if they'll even come into the finish first?

I kind of like Froome there more, I could see a scenario where Nibali attacks on the Peyresourde, Froome follows, then drops him and Nibali doesn't catch up on the descent.
Or maybe Scarponi in a similar way, he hasn't done anything yet in the Tour that I saw so he should be well rested. ;)

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
spalco said:
I don't know, 9/2 looks way risky to me. Nibali is probably the favourite for the stage out of the GC group, but who knows if they'll even come into the finish first?

I kind of like Froome there more, I could see a scenario where Nibali attacks on the Peyresourde, Froome follows, then drops him and Nibali doesn't catch up on the descent.
Or maybe Scarponi in a similar way, he hasn't done anything yet in the Tour that I saw so he should be well rested. ;)

well my original thought was schleck for same reason as yours and that he has not done a thing yet and will surely want to rescue something out of the 3 weeks , but having looked at thursdays route which is a summit finish i think frank would be far more suited to make an assault here rather than day 16 .

i cant see froome making a break unless they are all in a bunch with a short distance to go , he will not be allowed to leave wiggins unless wiggins has cracked somewhere along the stage and has nothing left to give .

i think cadel evans has pretty much given up so im not putting him in the equation .

i would normally look for better value than 9/2 but i think im going to have to make an exception tomorrow .

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Breakaway should take it again, sky are happy to let them go and save the domestiques legs, and none of the big contenders have the balls to attack from way way out. Cadel may try a big attack somewhere again but I think it will end the same as the last one.

Polka contenders will be out in force tmw so Sorensen and Kesakioff will likely be in the break, then guys like Gerro and Vanendert who have been fairly invisible I can imagine having a go too. Maybe Menchov has a dip from way out. 17 mins down with not much to lose at 100-1 might be a decent bet. Of the favourites its hard to look past nibali and evans if hes there, but I think they are both too short to bet on.

bet on Wiggo & the UK Postal controlling the damn stage from the start line to the very end:mad:

I honestly wish Nibali could win this one & hurt the Sky train, but is unlikely to happen- If not - then the stage must be won by a rider in a small breakaway with 10 minutes ahead by the last climb.....

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Nibali will win or die.. since he will be playing the Game of Yellow Jersey tomorrow.

It might be wishful thinking, but I hope he will try something