• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF stge 2 Monaco-Brignoles, 187 km

Now that Stage 1's ITT is over, the race begins for mostly the sprinters, just inland from the Mediterranean seaboard. Stage 2 is a good start as there are several small climbs to entice early KOM riders, and a few sprints, and maybe, just maybe a breakaway. Here's a profile:

PROFIL.gif

Weather forecast continues to look good, with warm temps, and mostly sunny skies. Link here.

Let's hear some predictions! :)

Stage 3 goes from Marseille to La Grande-Motette, another for the sprinters, before Stage 4's 39km TTT in Montpellier.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
i think we will see tommy voeckler doiing the breakwaay thing perhaps pulling on the kom at the end of the day.it will come down to a sprint though probably 1) Cav 2) Thor 3)Tylar

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Escape from the start with a select number of people (Skil, some Frenchies, and the odd Italian), some of them who will want to pick up the mountain points and steal it away from the best climber in the peloton. Then QST and COL will reel in the break away and Cavendish wins.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Early attack including Nicholas Roche will be caught 15k from finish, Cancellara will go in last k and be piped on line by Cavendish, 1 favourite will lose time/crash.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Boonen, suffering from diarrhoea today, will be found beaten to death in the toilet. Monaco police looking for A. Daves.

Cavendish leads the mourning peloton over the white line.

A

Anonymous

Armstrong attacks Contador immediately and hopes for a long breakaway win.....I mean there are some bumps. It would be fun to see Hincape have to help chase him down.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Armstrong attacks Contador immediately and hopes for a long breakaway win.....I mean there are some bumps. It would be fun to see Hincape have to help chase him down.

You either have a naturally rampant imagination, or you've got some good ****! :D An unlikely scenario, don't you think?

Numerous French riders will break away together with some lesser known Italians and Menchov, who will try to conceal himself in the breakaway. They will, of course, be caught in the last 10 kms, after which Cav will beat Farrar, Boonen and Freire in the sprint.

I agree with the suggestion to have a pre-stage topic like this, then a separate topic for during the race, though I'd be amazed to see another 49 page effort like today. Possibly also a post stage topic where fanboys and hateboys can gently insult one another? ;)

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
You either have a naturally rampant imagination, or you've got some good ****! :D An unlikely scenario, don't you think?

Numerous French riders will break away together with some lesser known Italians and Menchov, who will try to conceal himself in the breakaway. They will, of course, be caught in the last 10 kms, after which Cav will beat Farrar, Boonen and Freire in the sprint.

I agree with the suggestion to have a pre-stage topic like this, then a separate topic for during the race, though I'd be amazed to see another 49 page effort like today. Possibly also a post stage topic where fanboys and hateboys can gently insult one another? ;)

My imagination is quite interesting, but I recognize that the only reason it won't happen is because of the improbability of it succeeding.:) The reality is that Lance will never be able to attack Contador because you cannot attack someone who rides you off his wheel on steep climbs. And Contador will drop Lance.

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:

of course it is... he goes to sleep thinking lance..... wakes up thinking lance... fondles lances water bottle.. gazes at the photos he took.:D

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
My imagination is quite interesting, but I recognize that the only reason it won't happen is because of the improbability of it succeeding.:) The reality is that Lance will never be able to attack Contador because you cannot attack someone who rides you off his wheel on steep climbs. And Contador will drop Lance.

Now there's a risky prediction for ya.

He's the favorite to drop everybody.

Problem is, he'll think it means something.

But this thread is supposed to be about tomorrows stage.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Here's a scenario that might just happen - Lance attacks (or is 'sent' ahead) in the final kilometers to 'help' AC break the rest of the field. AC is then meant to follow, overtake and win, but by some miracle he has an off day while Lance has a great day, with the result that Lance takes over the lead.

To be clear - this is not a prediction and I don't really think it's likely, but something like this could happen in a certain set of circumstances.

It will be the usual, manic, first road stage fare of French rabbits jumping all over the place, then left to stew up the road.
Tempo, tempo in the peloton.
Speedo, speedo, in the last 40-50kms.
Crasho, crasho for the unlucky. (maybe)

The big cheeses will be staying in the safety of the team fridge.:rolleyes:
This is apperitif time.

A

Anonymous

jacky durand miraculously appears in the middle of the pelaton, breaks away after 10km, and ends up out on his own for 177km, winning the stage by 32 minutes and the rest of the field are thrown out for being outside the time limit..

The entire tour is cancelled as jacky rides an adjusted shortened course direct to paris finishing on the champs elysees on tuesday..

On the other hand, it will be interested to see how cav copes with the intermediate sprints.. we will find out tommoro if he is serious about green. .

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
One of the japanese riders will tie a hachimaki around his head at the start and then launch a long banzai attack.

yeaaa bro deal!!! Banzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!! wow,, yea .. cool!!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
i will be a lot harder for Cav this year at the tour because this year he has a lot more pressure on him and a few more sprint teams. I personally have a feeling that Boonen will win the stage because he has a point to prove due to all the controversey around him and his team over the past few days. Is it really that great for the Schleck Bros before the ttt having to take charge of the peleton and wasting some energy? I don't actually see Schleck beating Contador at all because he may be able to match Conti in the mountains but in the time trial we saw yesterday he lost a lot of time and will lose a lot of time in the Annecy TT.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Here's a scenario that might just happen - Lance attacks (or is 'sent' ahead) in the final kilometers to 'help' AC break the rest of the field. AC is then meant to follow, overtake and win, but by some miracle he has an off day while Lance has a great day, with the result that Lance takes over the lead.
I can see this one happening too. Maybe Contador will have a mysterious mechanical or will be knocked over by Leipheimer.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Over relatively short, flat stages like this, the Aussies are always a chance. Usually later on in Le Tour, but I would have a bob each way tonight.

Early on, le peleton doesnt worry so much about a breakaway.

A

Anonymous

mickkk said:
Over relatively short, flat stages like this, the Aussies are always a chance. Usually later on in Le Tour, but I would have a bob each way tonight.

Early on, le peleton doesnt worry so much about a breakaway.

any aussie in particular?????

I dont think a breakaway has a hope personally, quick step and columbia (for the sprint) and garmin (aspirations for yellow after the TTT) will make sure of that...

as before, i think the intermediate sprints are going to be more interesting in the first instance to judge cavs intentions

TRENDING THREADS