• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF underdog sprinters

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
*This is not the Green Jersey/Sprints Thread*

Cavendish will be good. Sagan will be good too.
Kittel and Greipel will be up there.

But who else contends in sprints?
I.e. who consistently top 5s or even top10s?

I'd go with:

Farrar
Bouhanni
Goss
Kristoff? (good form)
Renshaw? (has he done anything since Tour Down Under?)
Feillu (Good in 2011 TdF, not since)
Hutarovich?

I'm not in on Hushovd, EBH, Rojas this year.

Let's see some lists!

May 28, 2012
Visit site
To OP: Kittel is an underdog sprinter, hasn't shown anything in GT's apart from his one stage win in the Vuelta. Can't even climb the smallest côte when the pace is high, like in the TDF.

06-finish-Tour%20of%20Oman%20Day%206%20Stage%206%20063-640.jpg

Of course to win a stage, muscles, aggression and luck will be needed.

10-12 opportunities....

May the force be with you, Bouhanni.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Younger sprinters

What about Davide Cimolai at Lampre? Is he the main sprinter at Lampre in this years TdF?

And what about Geoffrey Soupe? Will he be given opportunities to sprint, or will FDJ focus be on Bouhanni in the sprints and Soupe as the lead-out man instead?

Does anyone know anything about these two young sprinters?
:cool:

Steady said:
And what about Geoffrey Soupe? Will he be given opportunities to sprint, or will FDJ focus be on Bouhanni in the sprints and Soupe as the lead-out man instead?

I do know that Soupe is a fairly decent lead-out man, so Bouhanni won't be completely left to his own devices. The lead-out that Soupe did for Demare in one stage of that race where Demare won everything, was phenomenal.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Steady said:

I'm not sure about Soupe going to the tour. I know that he's the designed leadout man for Démare and normally, Murilo Fischer is for Bouhanni. But that might be different for the tour, as Démare is not going.

nobody has mentioned Viviani so far. I am still not sure if he is on the Tour list. However he is fast - not fast as Cav - but that is nobody ;)

His situation is difficult having Sagan on the team and Green jersey as a main team goal. But anything can happen in The Tour, especially if Farrar is ryding. :D

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I expect Goss will finish pretty consistently. He may not in the mix for many wins, but should be consistently in the top 5.

Bouhanni could do well. I like what I've seen from him this year.

And maybe Degankolb as well. He'll most likely be working for Kittel in the truly flat stages, but there are plenty of hilly stages that should finish in a sprint as well. I expect he'll be one of the favorites on those.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Who are the favorites for stage 3? And stage 2?
Who will be sprinting for each team, and which second tier sprinters can we expect the most from?

Omega: Cavendish
Lotto: Greipel
Cannondale: Sagan
Argos: Kittel (Degenkolb when Kittel is dropped)
Katusha: Kristoff
Orica: Goss
FDJ: Bouhanni

Sky: EBH?
Saxo: Bennati?
Radioshack: Gallopin?
Movistar: Rojas?
AG2R: Dumoulin?
Astana: Gavazzi?
Lampre: Cimolai? Vigano?
Garmin: Rasmussen? (Farrar isn't riding)
Vacansoleil: Boeckmans? D. van Poppel? B. van Poppel?
Cofidis: Garcia?
Europcar: Arashiro?
Euskaltel: Lobato? Perez?
Sojasun: Simon? Hivert?
BMC: None (Gilbert?)
Blanco: None?

TRENDING THREADS