• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF Wiggo's Winning Margin

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
the asian said:
The arrogance of these delusional Brits is unbelievable. The tour is yet to reach the Pyrenees, there are two mountain stages to come which could shake up the general classification, and yet they are talking about winning margins.
Why are they so confident, that a rider who has never podium the tour before, has only one third place in a grand tour behind his own domestique, and who has shown weaknesses in the high mountains previously, as well as in this years' tour
will win the Tour, and that too by a huge margin?:confused:
From the stage 10 thread:
the asian said:
Moose McKnuckles said:
This tour looks to be over. :(
Another parade tomorrow will confirm it:mad:

So, which is it?

It is looking as though only the sudden recruitment of platoons of flare throwers can stop the Sky duo as much as I hate to say it. I wonder what Contador and Schleck think of it all ? It looks as though the performances in the Vuelta last year from Sky were much better than many thought. Still does not explain Cobo's totally anonomous 2012 unless he has been injured or ill. Then again Rodriguez was mediocre by his standards in the Vuelta but got much closer than I thought he would in the Giro. It's been a strange 12 months in pro cycling and Hejesdal winning the Giro !

Bernie's eyesore said:
He wasn't dropped though, Wiggo ALWAYS rides even tempo when there are attacks and then brings them back in. Just ignoring the fact that this is how he rides to suit your argument smacks of desperation. Of course it is possible, anything is possible. Certainly mo more likely than Nibali losing time though.

Really? Can you remind which stages he has done this when Alberto and Andy were on the rampage? Thanks.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:
Really? Can you remind which stages he has done this when Alberto and Andy were on the rampage? Thanks.

Not sure how that is relevant to be honest, they are superior climbers to Wiggins and he wouldn't be able to bring them back if they were on a strong day.

King Of The Wolds said:
Nibali still has a chance. A mountain descent finish when he could easily take a minute is still to come, and he seems to be getting stronger all the time.

As big as a fan I am of Vincenzo, he needs Wiggo to collapse to win this Tour.
He wouldn't be completely safe even with a 2.30 advantage before the last ITT.
And then there's Robofroome anyway.

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
As big as a fan I am of Vincenzo, he needs Wiggo to collapse to win this Tour.
He wouldn't be completely safe even with a 2.30 advantage before the last ITT.
And then there's Robofroome anyway.

So true.

Nibali is not a true mountain climber and he's not very explosive.

His only major advantage over Wiggins is in descent, where he can never hope to make up the time that he'd lose to Wiggins in the TTs.

Apart from a collapse by Wiggins, his only hope is a Wiggins collapse which is engineered by a very unlikely coalition of anti-Wiggins teams ... not going to happen.

To answer the original question: 4-5 minutes.

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I remain hopeful that Basso, Szmyd & the rest of the Liquigas domestiques are being saved up for one all or nothing attack on the slopes of the Peyresourde on Stage 16, with Nibali to then descend away to the finish at Bagnères-de-Luchon.

However, I can't see him making back the 2 minutes 23 secs he is already behind, plus he will again lose plenty of time on the final time trial...

Assuming Froome is not allowed to contend for the win, my prediction is therefore Wiggins to win by 2 minutes from Froome, Nibali third 3 minutes behind, Evans fourth 3 minutes 30sec behind...

Does it really matter how much will Wiggo win this Tour for when it appeared to the entire world the Tour was already decided in the 1st week? He may well win it by 20 minutes if he likes- it won't change anything about the general perception that he and the UK postal have reached about the "how it was won"

Did you even read that post?

I said that the OP had to be either a Team Sky Fan, or someone with an annoying defeatist attitude because he was either praising the dominance of Wiggins even when the Tour was far from over or talking as if the Tour was already over. Such behaviour is just obnoxious and has nothing to do with Team Sky in particular.

But yeah, hindsight is a beautiful thing I guess.

P.S. : Sky fans are indeed annoying ;)

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Lol, I never said in that post that Wiggins would not win or anything like that. :rolleyes:

I know. I was just joking ;)

It's fun to read the statements we do before Tour and how they plan out in general ;) :)