• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

tdf winner was dope doc losa customer? who?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
It was Jacques Anquetil. But I don't think Coppi was on bread and water only either.

Coppi was asked did he take a pill known as "La Bomba" - which contained amphetamines, caffeine, opiates, ether, cocaine, chloroform and alcohol!

He replied, “Only when I have to“. Pressed to define when that was, he acknowledged, “Almost all the time".

Anquetil also admitted using saying "everyone in cycling dopes himself, those who claim they don't are liar's".

Ferminal said:
I have some weird sort of respect for Kloden... Unfortunately as soon as he gets his hands close to some silverware, the skeletons would come out (although maybe that's why he rides under the JB/LA protection). He's managed to dodge a few bullets thus far, maybe he's invincible.

Klöden is Mr Teflon. It's like someone decided he looks so smooth on a bike we'll let him do whatever he likes as long as he doesn't actually win anything.
&quot said:
i am not sure the pereiro argument is solid for that very reason.
sure pereiro couldof gotten scared after his recovery but that does not convey the spirit of the as.com article. 'getting scare shytless' to me is a reflective spur of the moment reaction. Sastre and Kolybnev(sp?) from riis's squad come to mind.

Pereiro crashed on July 20th 2008; Dueñas was announced positive on July 16th 2008. Dates from Wikipedia so they must be right. :rolleyes:(July 20th was stage 15, is that the confusion?) So Oscar was still at the Tour when Dueñas was popped.

The wagons will circle around Pereiro. Nobody wants to see a reopening of 'who won the Tour in 2006?'. Nobody wants the Tour given to Klöden because he's a dead man walking and the Tour officially becomes a joke if you systematically cross out the first three riders before you get your winner. And all after the best three riders weren't even allowed to start the race. Pereiro is safe; he will stay the winner.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
R.0.t.O said:
Klöden is Mr Teflon. It's like someone decided he looks so smooth on a bike we'll let him do whatever he likes as long as he doesn't actually win anything.

Pereiro crashed on July 20th 2008; Dueñas was announced positive on July 16th 2008. Dates from Wikipedia so they must be right. :rolleyes:(July 20th was stage 15, is that the confusion?) So Oscar was still at the Tour when Dueñas was popped.

The wagons will circle around Pereiro. Nobody wants to see a reopening of 'who won the Tour in 2006?'. Nobody wants the Tour given to Klöden because he's a dead man walking and the Tour officially becomes a joke if you systematically cross out the first three riders before you get your winner. And all after the best three riders weren't even allowed to start the race. Pereiro is safe; he will stay the winner.

Good catch!

Dueñas was indeed declared positive Wednesday July 16th.
Oscar crashed on Sunday July 20th- he was lying 15th overall.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Coppi was asked did he take a pill known as "La Bomba" - which contained amphetamines, caffeine, opiates, ether, cocaine, chloroform and alcohol!

He replied, “Only when I have to“. Pressed to define when that was, he acknowledged, “Almost all the time".

Anquetil also admitted using saying "everyone in cycling dopes himself, those who claim they don't are liar's".

Yes that is the quote I remember from Coppi.

I think Anquetil also said once "how do you think those people get over those mountains. On water alone!"

I have to say I hope we don't get another winner test positive, although with a lot of these so called big stories lately, retesting of the samples, Astana medical waste etc they all seem to just end up dying a death with no big story at the end of them

icefire said:
Sorry, wrong translation here by Google misled by the bad Spanish writing. The original in Spanish (Otro cliente, que ya se ha borrado) is very ambiguous. 'Borrado' can be translated as cleared, but also as removed. And the verb tense is impersonal, so it could be that the subject in question removed himself (not by others) from the list of customers, a coloquial form for no longer being a customer.

Wouldn't it simply translate into "Another client, who'd already taken himself off of the list"?

The tense of the verb is the Present perfect indicative. Borrar(se) is the infinitive that is being conjugated, se is a reflexive pronoun which means that the subject is doing the action to himself, or in this case, had already done the action to himself.

Sorry, my formal spanish grammar training is many years in the past, so I don't remember how to diagram the sentence or explain it, but I don't it is that ambiguous - or is it? :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

joe_papp said:
The tense of the verb is the Present perfect indicative. Borrar(se) is the infinitive that is being conjugated, se is a reflexive pronoun which means that the subject is doing the action to himself, or in this case, had already done the action to himself.

there are times when i really dont know what people are on about...

this is one of those times..

the wifes and english teacher (mainly dance but some english) and her response was "if someone said that sentence to me i'd be like *raises eyebrows* bye then..." :D

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
there are times when i really dont know what people are on about...

this is one of those times..

the wifes and english teacher (mainly dance but some english) and her response was "if someone said that sentence to me i'd be like *raises eyebrows* bye then..." :D

come on dim, from all the talk about action done on himself, it's fairly obvious it's something to do with a wãnker. so i guess it is another lance thread :p

joe_papp said:
Wouldn't it simply translate into "Another client, who'd already taken himself off of the list"?

Sorry, my formal spanish grammar training is many years in the past, so I don't remember how to diagram the sentence or explain it, but I don't it is that ambiguous - or is it? :rolleyes:

Bottom line: an "ex-Tour de France" used to be Losa's client whom? Oscar Pereiro which happens to be team mate of LL Sanchez.
Sastre? no way, since CSC/Saxo/Riis & Co. have always used Ceccini since the OP blew over and got spooky when Frank Schleck was linked to Fuentes. they just don't even want to get near Spain even to get an Aspirin...

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Bottom line: an "ex-Tour de France" used to be Losa's client whom? Oscar Pereiro which happens to be team mate of LL Sanchez.
Sastre? no way, since CSC/Saxo/Riis & Co. have always used Ceccini since the OP blew over and got spooky when Frank Schleck was linked to Fuentes. they just don't even want to get near Spain even to get an Aspirin...

Kolobnev got more than an aspirin in Spain though...

A

Anonymous

python said:
i am not sure the pereiro argument is solid for that very reason.
sure pereiro couldof gotten scared after his recovery but that does not convey the spirit of the as.com article. 'getting scare shytless' to me is a reflective spur of the moment reaction. Sastre and Kolybnev(sp?) from riis's squad come to mind.

yes that's what I was thinking. You're right, the article implies the rider saw a positive test, then immediately shat himself and got off the juice. So i think periero is out, because he was in hospital recovering from the crash..

Sastre on the other hand, if he shat himself, why did he pull off a monster effort on Alpe'dHuez a few days later?? That would put him in the spotlight, and then he would of known he would get tested for winning the stage, so it would seem silly for him to do that. Scared, and then put your hand up for a test doesn't really make sense (i may have may days wrong here, but I think Alpe'dHuez was after the Duenas positive)

That only leaves one other tour winner that could be the guy, if it's not 2006, not 2008, then its....

workingclasshero said:
come on dim, from all the talk about action done on himself, it's fairly obvious it's something to do with a wãnker...:p

lmfao ... cmon I was just trying to explain the grammar and that there was no ambiguity in the meaning to be derived from the Spanish text. But as far as ****ing it goes, I'd give that straight away to LA - definitely. But not Vino.:p

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
yes that's what I was thinking. You're right, the article implies the rider saw a positive test, then immediately shat himself and got off the juice. So i think periero is out, because he was in hospital recovering from the crash..

Sastre on the other hand, if he shat himself, why did he pull off a monster effort on Alpe'dHuez a few days later?? That would put him in the spotlight, and then he would of known he would get tested for winning the stage, so it would seem silly for him to do that. Scared, and then put your hand up for a test doesn't really make sense (i may have may days wrong here, but I think Alpe'dHuez was after the Duenas positive)

That only leaves one other tour winner that could be the guy, if it's not 2006, not 2008, then its....

If I'm not mistaken, Pereiro was still in race when the Dueñas' positive was announced, so he isn't out. And that description of "I'm not ambitious" points directly to him.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Anquetil basically bragged that he doped. Do people think anything less of him because of what he won? If not, why?

CentralCaliBike said:
Great question to ask - should have been posted on the thread re: "LA haters" last week.

Best answer I can come up with is who knows. Who knows how many fans at that time wished that the sport was cleaner? Who knows before the internet age how many people even had much of an idea what was going on? Every past champ is looked on through rose colored glasses after a certain period of time passes, who knows maybe LA will be too. Heaven knows he already is by his fan-nation.
As for putting it in the other thread I'm pretty sure it was raised, but either way I think a lot of people raised complaints about Armstrong well beyond the doping issue, so I guess I have to ask, what's your point?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Anquetil basically bragged that he doped. Do people think anything less of him because of what he won? If not, why?

Yes........

I don't think Anquetil 'bragged' about doping - he just didn't agree with the hypocrisy of the system. He felt that there was no way to survive a 3 week race without the use of PED's.

A

Anonymous

Cogombre said:
If I'm not mistaken, Pereiro was still in race when the Dueñas' positive was announced, so he isn't out. And that description of "I'm not ambitious" points directly to him.

OOOOOOPPSSS.... sorry about that guys, I got my dates totally confused, Pereiro did crash AFTER..:eek::eek:

I swear I'm dislexic - I confused Oscars crash on the 15th of July, to Duenas positive on the 16th stage, hence why I stated the 'one day before'... apologies

Ignore all my posts in this thread haahaha - i'm back on OP is the guy train now!!

In some ways little has changed in the last half-century, and in other ways, a great deal has.

I do think less of Anquetil because of his doping. But he's not racing anymore. As a matter of fact, he's no longer alive. But it's also a given understanding that amphetamines and pain killers used by riders in his era are no where near the level of sophistication, potency, and efficiency, that doping programs of today can do. Back then a clean rider had a good chance. In the last fifteen years, nearly impossible.

Yet Anquetil also once made the statement that if doping were that serious of a problem, the police would be involved, and they were the only ones he felt would be impartial in their judgment.