• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Astana newcomers: Simoni, Tiralongo, Plaza, Fofonov, Gasparotto, Davis & more

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Ruben Plaza
Bradislav Samoilau
Fofonov
Gurov
Tiralongo
Allan Davis
Caruso
Gasparotto
Simoni
Kunitsky

source: astanafans.com & sport.gazeta.kz (russian)

BroDeal said:
If Simoni joins then even I may have to become an Astana fan.
Me too! I believe it, when I see it.
I thought he was re-signing with Lampre to be Cunego's team leader again.:rolleyes:
Seriously. If the list is fairly accurate, that's the Giro sorted, at least.
How come I am more familiar with these late signings, than the Shack's non pensioners?
Some handy riders in that bunch.

A

Anonymous

Delicato said:
Davis? Is he mad or something? Way more safe to be in Quick Step than in Astana...

why... in the form of his life this year and dumped out of the tour last minute for a clearly out of sorts boonen...

id be telling quick step to shove it up their **** and find a team where i was no1 sprinter and getting the support i deserved...

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Davis was on a two year deal with QuickStep. So i find it hard to believe he would go to Astana. Plus he is mate with Armstrong, so i think Shack would be more likely if he broke contract.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
A few names on that list are a bit dodgy, is that Fofonov who is currently banned. Plaza has always been dodgy to me and is that Gurov or Gusev. Still some decent riders on that list.
Fofonov is acting rider from February 2009, he was banned just for three months. I'm sure that all Russians for you the same, but anyway I can't imagine what is common between Russian Vladimir Gousev and Kazakh Maksim Gourov?!
And let us know who is not dodgy for you?

little off topic but does anyone know what happened to vladimir gusev? i assumed he would be signing to ride for home team katusha but have not heard anything

anyway those are some good signings, i'm waiting for gasparotto to win a big race or two in the coming years

aarnold517 said:
little off topic but does anyone know what happened to vladimir gusev? i assumed he would be signing to ride for home team katusha but have not heard anything

anyway those are some good signings, i'm waiting for gasparotto to win a big race or two in the coming years

He appears to me to be one of those riders that has been blackballed for whatever reason. Like Koldo Gil who had to retire after clearing his name but finding not a one taker for his services.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Motion said:
Ruben Plaza
Bradislav Samoilau
Fofonov
Gurov
Tiralongo
Allan Davis
Caruso
Gasparotto
Simoni
Kunitsky

source: astanafans.com & sport.gazeta.kz (russian)

if true they have done pretty well. I personally didn't wanna see them crash and burn, I only starting hating them this year ;)

POSSIBLE ASTANA TEAM NEXT YEAR?

Two big guys, the tug-of-war three, four Kazakhs, three Spaniards, possible new signings...

Alberto Contador
Alexandre Vinokourov

Haimar Zubeldia
Gregory Rast
Andreas Kloden

Maxim Gourov
Dmitriy Fofonov
Valentin Iglinsky
Dmitri Muravyev

Daniel Noval
Jesus Hernandez
Daniel Navarro

Ruben Plaza
Bradislav Samoilau
Fofonov
Gurov
Tiralongo
Allan Davis
Caruso
Gasparotto
Simoni
Kunitsky

Are Zeits, Renev, Raimbenkov, Kupeshov, Kireyev, Dyachenko, Dmitryev, Bazayev all staying at Astana?

This will be intriguing.. :D

luckyboy said:
POSSIBLE ASTANA TEAM NEXT YEAR?

Two big guys, the tug-of-war three, four Kazakhs, three Spaniards, possible new signings...

Alberto Contador
Alexandre Vinokourov

Haimar Zubeldia
Gregory Rast
Andreas Kloden

Maxim Gourov
Dmitriy Fofonov
Valentin Iglinsky
Dmitri Muravyev

Daniel Noval
Jesus Hernandez
Daniel Navarro

Ruben Plaza
Bradislav Samoilau
Fofonov
Gurov
Tiralongo
Allan Davis
Caruso
Gasparotto
Simoni
Kunitsky

Are Zeits, Renev, Raimbenkov, Kupeshov, Kireyev, Dyachenko, Dmitryev, Bazayev all staying at Astana?

This will be intriguing.. :D

Just to annoy the Sh!t out of LA:

Retain Bruyneel's services for Another two years and call in Greg Lemond as a team consultant ;)

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:
Davis? Is he mad or something? Way more safe to be in Quick Step than in Astana...

Mad, just maybe since he had good form and was in Monaco for the Tour and then pulled off the team at the 11th hour for an obviously out of form Boonen.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Just to annoy the Sh!t out of LA:

Retain Bruyneel's services for Another two years and call in Greg Lemond as a team consultant ;)
i have a better suggestion
hinoult -team manager
lemond- team consultant
dick pound - team legal advisor
david walsh - team press attache
ressiot - french connection
:D
but seriously cn reported today astana is settling on a french for the general manager

python said:
i have a better suggestion
hinoult -team manager
lemond- team consultant
dick pound - team legal advisor
david walsh - team press attache
ressiot - french connection
:D
but seriously cn reported today astana is settling on a french for the general manager

Astana is playing some real hardball here. I wonder why they waited so late in the game to get their sh!t together...

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Astana is playing some real hardball here. I wonder why they waited so late in the game to get their sh!t together...
they did play hard and the game isn't over. i already commented some place. they probably were careful not to upset uci by public announcement in the game for the pt license. but clearly they were not sitting on their hands.

python said:
they did play hard and the game isn't over. i already commented some place. they probably were careful not to upset uci by public announcement in the game for the pt license. but clearly they were not sitting on their hands.

When I mean they waited, I'm referring to them allowing Radio Shack to raid their team. Armstrong wasn't under contract with Astana and was thus always free to go, but I'm pretty sure Levi was under contract until 2010 just like AC and JB, so why let him go? If they had been signaling from the beginning that they were serious about competing next year, I think 85% of the drama would have been resolved.

But it is what it is . . . I guess I'll have to sit and wait like everyone else until we find out their ultimate fate. October 20th can't get here fast enough.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
When I mean they waited, I'm referring to them allowing Radio Shack to raid their team. Armstrong wasn't under contract with Astana and was thus always free to go, but I'm pretty sure Levi was under contract until 2010 just like AC and JB, so why let him go? If they had been signaling from the beginning that they were serious about competing next year, I think 85% of the drama would have been resolved.

But it is what it is . . . I guess I'll have to sit and wait like everyone else until we find out their ultimate fate. October 20th can't get here fast enough.
good questions and i don’t know if we will ever know the answers. my best guess would be that astana internally had undergone a severe existential crisis the full extent of which has not been reported.

when armstrong announced formation of his own team it was the lowest point for kcf. no one was in charge. the fed president former defense minister and a major force behind all things was (and still is) cripplingly sick. this coincided with his loss of political power as well. the proskurin guy talks a lot but he’s useless in bargaining for any riders if astana could not even pay salaries. on the top of it they were growing dissatisfied with their dutch council who was pushing de rooy for the general manager position. vino did not want him.

altogether it looks like they lost a chunk of time because of their internal management and financial crisis. i am speculating vinokourov once again stepped to the plate and mended things...and that's when the uci got worried.

TRENDING THREADS