• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Astana newcomers: Simoni, Tiralongo, Plaza, Fofonov, Gasparotto, Davis & more

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
python said:
good questions and i don’t know if we will ever know the answers. my best guess would be that astana internally had undergone a severe existential crisis the full extent of which has not been reported.

when armstrong announced formation of his own team it was the lowest point for kcf. no one was in charge. the fed president former defense minister and a major force behind all things was (and still is) cripplingly sick. this coincided with his loss of political power as well. the proskurin guy talks a lot but he’s useless in bargaining for any riders if astana could not even pay salaries. on the top of it they were growing dissatisfied with their dutch council who was pushing de rooy for the general manager position. vino did not want him.

altogether it looks like they lost a chunk of time because of their internal management and financial crisis. i am speculating vinokourov once again stepped to the plate and mended things...and that's when the uci got worried.

Well I'm glad someone did. If AC has to stay at Astana, the least they can do is try to field a competitive team for 2010 (and I'm not just talking about the TdF).

python said:
i have a better suggestion
hinoult -team manager
lemond- team consultant
dick pound - team legal advisor
david walsh - team press attache
ressiot - french connection
:D
but seriously cn reported today astana is settling on a french for the general manager
Yup. Yvon Sanquer has joined the team as the new DS.
Bruyneel has actually signed the piece of paper....I think, today.

Publicus said:
When I mean they waited, I'm referring to them allowing Radio Shack to raid their team. Armstrong wasn't under contract with Astana and was thus always free to go, but I'm pretty sure Levi was under contract until 2010 just like AC and JB, so why let him go? If they had been signaling from the beginning that they were serious about competing next year, I think 85% of the drama would have been resolved.

But it is what it is . . . I guess I'll have to sit and wait like everyone else until we find out their ultimate fate. October 20th can't get here fast enough.

I think they (Astana) realized that time was on their side. The Shack didn't really "raid" their team, they simply announced that they were signing a number of Astana's riders. Though in reality, if Astana decided to field their team for 2010 (and keeps their PT license) then The Shack can't take their riders because they remain under contract to Astana. So Astana bided their time, clearly has done a lot of behind the scenes wrangling, and today comes out and sees then raises The Shack's bet by saying "we'll be keeping our riders in addition to signing a number of big names and solid domestiques ourselves."

Now they need to keep their PT license to make sure this thing gets off the ground. Given that list of solid riders I don't see how Pat and the UCI can snatch their PT license but I'm sure they'd like to and give it to The Shack. Regardless The Shack would still get an invite to all Grand Tours that Armstrong feels like riding even with Pro Continental status so that's probably the path of least resistance here.

BikeCentric said:
I think they (Astana) realized that time was on their side. The Shack didn't really "raid" their team, they simply announced that they were signing a number of Astana's riders. Though in reality, if Astana decided to field their team for 2010 (and keeps their PT license) then The Shack can't take their riders because they remain under contract to Astana. So Astana bided their time, clearly has done a lot of behind the scenes wrangling, and today comes out and sees then raises The Shack's bet by saying "we'll be keeping our riders in addition to signing a number of big names and solid domestiques ourselves."

Now they need to keep their PT license to make sure this thing gets off the ground. Given that list of solid riders I don't see how Pat and the UCI can snatch their PT license but I'm sure they'd like to and give it to The Shack. Regardless The Shack would still get an invite to all Grand Tours that Armstrong feels like riding even with Pro Continental status so that's probably the path of least resistance here.

Don't they need a manager to field a Pro Continental team as well?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Is he any good? He's been out of cycling for several years, I'm curious of what he brings to the table.
yvon-sanquer-avait-notamment-dirige-festina-dans-les-annees-.jpg

http://translate.google.com/transla...uveau-manager.html&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
No surprises, then. Lampre continues to lose all their good riders because their sponsor money is all tied up in making Cunego the second highest paid rider in the world.

Which Caruso is that? Damiano or Gianpaolo? Gianpaolo, right?

Motion said:
And no Kashechkin :(

Of course. He and Vino hate each others' guts.
I thought it was common knowledge since the 2007 Tour.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Is it really an either/or situation with regard to ProTour licenses for Astana and Retirement Shack? Didn't the UCI downsize the total number of PT licenses in use when they took away PT status from Cofidis and Bbox? Astana's license wasn't up for renewal, so they just keep it, and there is an extra license left over if the UCI wants to sell one to Shack. Right?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
When I mean they waited, I'm referring to them allowing Radio Shack to raid their team. Armstrong wasn't under contract with Astana and was thus always free to go, but I'm pretty sure Levi was under contract until 2010 just like AC and JB, so why let him go? If they had been signaling from the beginning that they were serious about competing next year, I think 85% of the drama would have been resolved.

But it is what it is . . . I guess I'll have to sit and wait like everyone else until we find out their ultimate fate. October 20th can't get here fast enough.

AFAIk Levi was a free agent for next year, same with Horner and Kloden.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
reportedly the uci blocked martinelli for astana general manager post - he still will be a ds - and personally suggested yvon sanquer as their gm. this is curious because i did not know the uci is in the business of selecting any staff for teams but if true it effectively paves the road to astana’s pt license.

source:astanafans.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
a few answers, more questions...

Well, here is a few more answers from todays news feed:

Andreas Klöden, a podium contender himself, as well as Yaroslav Popovych and Gregory Rast will follow team manager Johan Bruyneel, who negotiated their way out of the contract binding them to Astana for one more year yesterday evening, after attending the 2010 Tour de France presentation in Paris.

Bruyneel sat down with Kazakh officials to sign the deal finally opening the way for him and the other three riders to join Armstrong for a new adventure.

craig1985 said:
AFAIk Levi was a free agent for next year, same with Horner and Kloden.

Kloden couldn't have been a free agent . . . otherwise there was no reason the Kazakh's could prevent his transfer (which they were apparently doing). But I still think Levi was under contract, but it is neither here nor there at this point.

Boeing said:
Simoni? What as team director?

See how the average fanboy mind works, when it comes to age?

Simoni is exactly the same age as Lance and a year younger than
Chris "second childhood" Horner.
He rides MTB when not on the road and competes worldwide, all year.

No cobwebs on him, but of course, he's fit only for an admin job, due to age.

Meanwhile, Lance is expected to improve and win the Tour.

Beam me up, Scotty.
Or as the pointy eared one would say......:rolleyes: