• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Geox

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he's what?? 30 seconds behind contador?? like he's going to make up that time with rouleurs on the flat :rolleyes:

Don't underestimate 30 seconds in any race including il giro. I was saying he could use another guy for firstly the ttt and secondly to ride on the flats for geox. Their team isn't overly versatile even if the giro is full of mountain stages.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Don't underestimate 30 seconds in any race including il giro. I was saying he could use another guy for firstly the ttt and secondly to ride on the flats for geox. Their team isn't overly versatile even if the giro is full of mountain stages.

This coming from the guy who disputes BMC is one of the weakest teams at this year's Giro.:rolleyes: Are you really paying attention to what you're saying when you say Geox lacks versatility with their climber focused lineup in a seriously mountain heavy grand tour, even for the Giro?

La Pandera said:
This coming from the guy who disputes BMC is one of the weakest teams at this year's Giro.:rolleyes: Are you really paying attention to what you're saying when you say Geox lacks versatility with their climber focused lineup in a seriously mountain heavy grand tour, even for the Giro?

Considering ACF is the guy who once argued that Santaromita and Tschopp were a better set of riders for the mountains than Blanco and Duarte, because he hadn't paid any attention to the races they were doing, are you really surprised?

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Considering ACF is the guy who once argued that Santaromita and Tschopp were a better set of riders for the mountains than Blanco and Duarte, because he hadn't paid any attention to the races they were doing, are you really surprised?

No but it never fails that I can't help but ask whether he's serious or just pulling our legs with some of his posts.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
:confused:

At that point in time, Blanco's 'great' climbing pedigree was from wins in The tour of portugal. As good as you will proclaim the VoP to be, it takes more to prove your climbing pedigree against quality field as 'good' as the tour of portugal's field is.
La Pandera said:

Where did I dispute it? You still need guys who can ride on the flats. It is called versatitlity.

Ryo Hazuki said:
to you it does and to everyone with a basic understanding of cycling it doesn't. did you even check who blanco beat in those volta's?

i agree with ryo on this one. if you don't believe neither libertine nor ryo nor me on the fact that the VoP is an incredibly though climbing race would you believe gibo and cunego? both have ridden the volta before, gibo said he thought he could win even tho he was preparing himself for the vuelta. the result was him going backwards in the mountains and being almost ****ed off at how hard the race was.

i also like how ACF launches himself on a hissy fit everytime some1 criticizes him oh and ACF the post and the poster are connected so most of the times when discussing a post you also have to discuss the poster. like for example when i talk about portuguese cycling people can say i am biased same for when ryo talks about south american cycling, you about aussie cycling and el pistolero about gilbert and boonen

Libertine Seguros said:
What about when he was 10th in the Vuelta in '04? Podiumed Castilla y León in '05?

Isn't Blanco in his mid-thirties now? There's no denying his ability as it's impossible to win the Volta so many times without being pretty good , but at his age it's extremely unlikely for him to repeat his Kelme performances.

Well, yes. But those were climbing performances not in Portugal.

So far he's shown indications that age is rather catching up with him this year. He's still a better mountain domestique than Santaromita and Tschopp. But he won't be for much longer. His Volta win last year was dominant - but then the field wasn't really as strong without Liberty Seguros and with the likes of Jiménez and Cabreira banned, and with the forest fires shortening the Torre stage to only about 117km, and with them climbing the easier side of the climb, it wasn't as punishing a race as usual either. Perhaps it was the start of a decline, but it wasn't really as obvious as it could have been had the likes of Plaza, Ribeiro, Tondó, Jiménez and Guerra still been in Portugal to compete as they were in previous years.