Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fenn, Roche and Konig are likely to leave not surprising as since DVP's arrival Fenn's a luxury plus Roche and Konig don't get the opportunities they would on other teams. Diego Rosa is a more than adequate replacement for Konig in Landa's team and I imagine Dave's looking for someone to replace Roche. Wilco Kelderman apparently has been mentioned and that could be a good idea.
 
Re:

MatParker117 said:
Fenn, Roche and Konig are likely to leave not surprising as since DVP's arrival Fenn's a luxury plus Roche and Konig don't get the opportunities they would on other teams. Diego Rosa is a more than adequate replacement for Konig in Landa's team and I imagine Dave's looking for someone to replace Roche. Wilco Kelderman apparently has been mentioned and that could be a good idea.
I hope so. I think Wilco need to change, he´s collecting failure after failure. maybe less pressure for the GT and focus on week long races could help him.
Sky would be nice
 
Feb 6, 2016
1,213
0
0
Re:

rick james said:
who we expecting to come into team Sky this year?
Rosa almost certainly, Kelderman possibly, van der Poel mentioned in Belgian media a little but seems implausible (kind of hope he goes to Sky and races a couple of races, but keeps CX focus).
 
Re: Re:

pastronef said:
MatParker117 said:
Fenn, Roche and Konig are likely to leave not surprising as since DVP's arrival Fenn's a luxury plus Roche and Konig don't get the opportunities they would on other teams. Diego Rosa is a more than adequate replacement for Konig in Landa's team and I imagine Dave's looking for someone to replace Roche. Wilco Kelderman apparently has been mentioned and that could be a good idea.
I hope so. I think Wilco need to change, he´s collecting failure after failure. maybe less pressure for the GT and focus on week long races could help him.
Sky would be nice
At Sky, at least in the first year it would be purely domestique work more than likely for Froome or Poels. Also as much time as possible with Rod Ellingworth, Tim Kerrison and Steve Peters.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
2
0
Re:

MatParker117 said:
Fenn, Roche and Konig are likely to leave not surprising as since DVP's arrival Fenn's a luxury plus Roche and Konig don't get the opportunities they would on other teams. Diego Rosa is a more than adequate replacement for Konig in Landa's team and I imagine Dave's looking for someone to replace Roche. Wilco Kelderman apparently has been mentioned and that could be a good idea.
Fenn is pretty close with Viviani and Moscon, so I don't know if he's gonna leave.
Sky would probably be a good fit for Wilco, someone who spent his junior and U23 years at Rabo should be able to handle an absurd training volume.
 
Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
HelloDolly said:
Kwait has none so expect him to be there too ..after all he did join SKY to become a GT contender
So far he has managed to prove that he is awful in this regard.
Edit: but that's sometimes (or even often?) Sky case, rarely cyclists are doing great there in first year. König was little bit exception, he managed to maintain his level, otherwise I can't think of other guy who has done very well after joining Sky, but lots who were awful - Kiryenka, Kwiat more or less, Roche, Landa...
Kiryienka was not awful in his first year at Sky. He was a beast in the spring including a ride at Pais Vasco where he basically controlled the entire race on his own for the last 80km of a stage in appalling conditions on a very hilly route. It was one of the ride's of the season. He DNF'd at the Tour after going far too deep trying to help Porte return to the front group on that stage when Froome was on his own for most of it and then bounced back from that by winning a stage at the Vuelta and finishing 4th at the Worlds ITT.
 
Re:

HelloDolly said:
So Kokoso you must be happy ...looks like Konig is going back to Boro ...should never have left imo
Thank god for that. Won't miss Konig at Sky. He's not good enough to win a grand tour and he's not a willing helper for a rider who can win one. He also basically contributes nothing in terms of results outside of grand tours during the season. Not a good fit.
 
Re: Re:

JRanton said:
Kiryienka was not awful in his first year at Sky. He was a beast in the spring including a ride at Pais Vasco where he basically controlled the entire race on his own for the last 80km of a stage in appalling conditions on a very hilly route. It was one of the ride's of the season. He DNF'd at the Tour after going far too deep trying to help Porte return to the front group on that stage when Froome was on his own for most of it and then bounced back from that by winning a stage at the Vuelta and finishing 4th at the Worlds ITT.
There was also stage 3 of Criterium International
 
Aug 3, 2016
66
0
0
According to Team Sky website, Nico Roche will miss the Vuelta due to illness.

Says team will be announced next week.
 
Apr 22, 2012
3,570
0
0
Re: Re:

JRanton said:
Thank god for that. Won't miss Konig at Sky. He's not good enough to win a grand tour and he's not a willing helper for a rider who can win one. He also basically contributes nothing in terms of results outside of grand tours during the season. Not a good fit.
:confused: He worked for Thomas at TdS, worked for Froome at Tour last year, worked for Porte at Giro last year, until Porte folded. He might not be able to win GT, but that's truth for everyone until actually wins one. It's too soon to make final conclusions on his abilities; as a WT team rider he has never lead any GT. Last year he was able to finish sixth in GC which is decent considering it was his first year at Sky. Every GC rider only improves in second year with Sky, first year usually gets worse than previous level. I guess it takes some time to profit from Sky training methods. Look what Sky made with Landa this year, at Giro especially...in fact König did much better at Giro last year than Landa this year.
For the last part - he can be somewhat useful throughout year, even if he is no Valverde of course. There is one big if - IF he is not injured half of the season and IF he is not working for someone else. Quite on the contrary with what you've written, König actually mostly worked for someone else at Sky. This year he won Czech TT champs, worked for Kwiatkovski at Trofeo Pollenca and Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana and got decent result there. Last year worked for Porte at Trentino and finished 3rd. Also worked for Porte at Catalunya. 3rd and 5th place at Trofeo Pollenca and Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana.
 
Apr 22, 2012
3,570
0
0
Re:

HelloDolly said:
So Kokoso you must be happy ...looks like Konig is going back to Boro ...should never have left imo
I don't care so much for what team he rides, I care mostly whether he rides. Unfortunately this season was ruined by injuries, so he couldn't fight for his spot at team while others (mainly Poels) improved, so he would have it probably harder in terms of getting leadership or free role somewhere, but I think at Sky it's fair play - if you are good enough you get your chance, so he could still get something. This year he was plan B for Giro, next year who knows. Whether it was good or isn't good thing that he left Bora I don't know. He just did and that's what matters. Possibly he could gain by being part of team Sky for two seasons.
 
Aug 12, 2016
46
0
0
What do you guys think of Danny van Poppel? Will he be in SKY's selection for the Vuelta? Did a very convincing sprint in Norway earlier this week, seems to be in great shape. Reminded me of Tour de Wallone.

However, so little sprints in this years Vuelta.
 
Re:

vredeling said:
What do you guys think of Danny van Poppel? Will he be in SKY's selection for the Vuelta? Did a very convincing sprint in Norway earlier this week, seems to be in great shape. Reminded me of Tour de Wallone.

However, so little sprints in this years Vuelta.
He could go to the tour of Britain and do well for Sky there.
 
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

People say young riders don't develop at Sky but I think that is an unfair statement.

Since 2013: Boswell, Cataldo, Sergio Henao, Sebastian Henao, Kiri, Porte, Puccio, Stannard, Rowe, Poels, Swift, Uran, Thomas and Moscon, have all significantly improved under them.

There are only 2 riders who you would say haven't developed at Sky and then have gone elsewhere and improved.

These are Boasson-Hagen and Dombrowski.

So is the Sky stereotype over?
 
Not sure what my biggest issue with your argument is, that neither Cataldo nor Kiryienka actually improved much, or that, at respectively 28 and 31 years of age, neither could be considered "young" when joining Sky.
I suppose the two could be related though! :)

I also have a slight issue with the inclusion of riders that have pretty much only raced for Sky: who knows how good they could be on a different team? Can you claim Sky have done a good job developing rider X while that rider might have become the best climber of the last 20 years on another team? How can you know they got everything out of him?
 
Aug 12, 2016
46
0
0
Agree with Cataldo/Kiryienka. And Boswell? Really? I would rather say that SKY has wasted this talent.

However, a team with so much quality..... People tend to forget there are too little races for so much talent. You can't make them all leader in a WT-race. That's rea;;y what happend with Boasson Hagen too. They mis-used him, few years back BH was on your screen every day, pulling weight in front of the peloton. And we're talking about the biggest talent of cycling in those years.. Crazy. Similar with T. Martin at Etixx. That kind of riders in a supporting role, it's a shame.
 
Must be pretty brutal for such amazing talent at Team Sky with Froome riding the Vuelta. The others can be leaders in their own right. One of the reasons why I think Nicholas Roche is leaving the team.
On the other hand, Froome is the overwhelming leader, rightly so.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY