• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 91 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

spalco said:
DFA123 said:
rick james said:
That would just be amazing, folk in here getting wet dreams about no more Sky yet they already have a major sponsor on board to take over...biggest LOL since 2 days before the Tour 2018

It would be interesting to see if some of the insufferable fans, who came to the sport purely because of a jingoistic support for Sky's promotion of British riders (^^^^^), continue their interest when the team is sponsored by the Qatari government, and their race leader is Bernal.

I'm guessing they will gradually lose interest. Which is a win for everyone else.

I've never really understood why some fans got so attached to particular teams in cycling anyway. It's business through and through on the administrative side. Cheering on "Bora Hansgrohe" or "AG2R La Mondiale" seems ridiculous to me.

Sky wins the tour de france whereas a lot of other top popularity riders and teams like alberto contador didnt win it much which to me is more crazy to obsess over than a highly successful team like Sky.

DFA123 said:
rick james said:
That would just be amazing, folk in here getting wet dreams about no more Sky yet they already have a major sponsor on board to take over...biggest LOL since 2 days before the Tour 2018

It would be interesting to see if some of the insufferable fans, who came to the sport purely because of a jingoistic support for Sky's promotion of British riders (^^^^^), continue their interest when the team is sponsored by the Qatari government, and their race leader is Bernal.

I'm guessing they will gradually lose interest. Which is a win for everyone else.
I’m a Froome fan first and foremost....he just happens to be riding for the biggest baddest boys with the deepest pockets....loving life

ice&fire said:
Midnightfright said:
DFA123 said:
rick james said:

There will be some fans who lose interest but I would hazard anyone passionate to post on a forum won't be put off by that.
AusCyclingFan proves you wrong :p

That is a blast from the past

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

Considering all the success that teams under the guidance of Sir Dave
have achieved at the Olympic Games and Tour de France I think he's in
a different position than others that have gone looking for new sponsors.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
So it's confirmed that both Froome and Thomas are targeting the Tour (and skipping the Giro).. Froome is likely to do the Tour-Vuelta double again.

Who are they going to send to the Giro then?

Bernal and maybe Moscon. More interesting question is... If those 2 rides for GC in Giro, will they be in shape to Superdom in Tour? Or is Sky going to rely on Kwiat and Poels doing the last man standing for Froome&Thomas?

bambino said:
Velolover2 said:
So it's confirmed that both Froome and Thomas are targeting the Tour (and skipping the Giro).. Froome is likely to do the Tour-Vuelta double again.

Bernal and maybe Moscon. More interesting question is... If those 2 rides for GC in Giro, will they be in shape to Superdom in Tour? Or is Sky going to rely on Kwiat and Poels doing the last man standing for Froome&Thomas?
They'll be fine. For the high mountains in the Tour, Moscon isn't really that important. They have better options like De La Cruz and Geoghegan Hart. Don't know if Bernal can handle two Grand Tours yet.

Froome, Thomas, Poels, La Cruz, Geoghegan Hart, Kwiatkowski, Rowe, Stannard. That is enough to win another Tour.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Why do people keep mentioning Moscon as a GC rider for the Giro, when people also say Valverde will not be a GC rider?

One top 15 on Angliru apparently beats 17 top 10 GC placings in Grand Tours...
To be fair Valverde will be 39 the next time a GC comes around. And he's only ever won one.

(But I don't think Moscon is a contender either - he has the potential to win all five monuments though)

Re:

tobydawq said:
Why do people keep mentioning Moscon as a GC rider for the Giro, when people also say Valverde will not be a GC rider?

I have no idea, and can only insist on not being one of them people

That being said, don't really think people exclude Valverde as a GC rider as much as they exclude him as a threat for the overall win.

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:

I have no idea, and can only insist on not being one of them people

That being said, don't really think people exclude Valverde as a GC rider as much as they exclude him as a threat for the overall win.

Which may be understandable, esp after one of his more recent interviews where he said he thinks his days of winning a GT are over. Of course in the next sentence said that he wants one more shot at la Vuelta, then said if the team wants or needs him to race for GC in a GT he'll do his best.

Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
I would like to see team sky continuing, but on a smaller budget.

My exact sentiments, because it means some of the great superdoms will be let go due to budget constraints, therefore the sport gets an opportunity for other teams to level up to them, making races more exciting to watch-specially GTs....

Parker said:
tobydawq said:

To be fair Valverde will be 39 the next time a GC comes around. And he's only ever won one.

(But I don't think Moscon is a contender either - he has the potential to win all five monuments though)

Potential to win all five Monuments!? At least dozen of riders has that same potential, but you need to start winning first to be in some kind of conversation about that, like Gilbert, Sagan or Kwiatkowski did. Let's see what this kid does, but the way I see it, it will be hard for him not to win all five, but to win a Monument at all, cause often there will be someone faster (MSR), stronger (PR, RVV), more explosive (LBL), or better climber (GDL).

Re:

tobydawq said:

Yeah, I was too quick on riding for GC, while I really mean he could be co-leader focusing on stages. And that seems about correct.

Velolover2 said:
bambino said:
Velolover2 said:

They'll be fine. For the high mountains in the Tour, Moscon isn't really that important. They have better options like De La Cruz and Geoghegan Hart. Don't know if Bernal can handle two Grand Tours yet.

Froome, Thomas, Poels, La Cruz, Geoghegan Hart, Kwiatkowski, Rowe, Stannard. That is enough to win another Tour.

Pretty sure De La Cruz has some sort of clause in the contract for permanent Vuelta GC opportunity :D.

Poels wasn't as dominant superdom as 2017, but we will see how next year spans out. It will be interesting to see how they play it if they don't have anyone on Bernal 2018 Tour level to help Froome/Thomas.