• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

JRanton said:
Oliwright said:
With Quiat abandoning them his Tour participation is now in doubt! Kiri or Konig could replace if they go well in Swisse?

More likely Roche will double up. He has history of doing that well, although it's nearly always been Tour-Vuelta. You can't justify taking Kwiatkowski as a domestique to the Tour based on what he's shown this year. He'll be more useful in the Vuelta squad with that relatively long TTT.

Roche isn't good enough for Sky's Tour squad, he wasn't exactly good at the giro.

JRanton said:
Not going: Kennaugh (injury), Intxausti (illness), Kwiatkowski (illness/poor form), Deignan, Knees, Boswell, Lopez, Seb Henao (Giro), Moscon, Peters (neo-pros), Swift, Van Poppel, Fenn, Viviani (sprinters), Nordhaug (one day rider) Golas, Zandio (better flat doms available).

Which leaves:

Froome
Thomas
Landa
Poels
Sergio Henao/Nieve
Roche/Konig
Puccio/Kiryienka
Stannard
Rowe

Landa seems to be the strongest climbing domestique for Sky in the Dauphine so he's going. Henao isn't quite at his best (which isn't surprising after what happened) so it's him and Nieve fighting it out for a place. Konig will have to be very good at Suisse to go instead of Roche. The KIryienka/Puccio battle is interesting. Hard to call but you'd imagine Puccio has the edge given he's in the Dauphine team.

Kwiat's form is good. Look at the uphill prologue. He always won E3 incase u forgot so he has an alright year.
It will depend on how he recovers. Porte DNF at the dauphine before and went to the Tour

Re:

HelloDolly said:
The only riders definite fro me so far are

Froome, Landa, Thonas, Stannard, Rowe & Nieve

3 places up for grabs depends on form, position in team, experience, and what else they bring to the table

Why would Nieve go to the Tour? It would be a waste!!
He won't be in top form since he did the Giro and Sky will already take 2 small punchy climbers in Landa and Henao

I've said for weeks that the Tour team baring Illness or injury will be:

Froome
Thomas
Landa
Henao
Poels
Kwiat (although wouldn't be surprised if someone else comes in now)
Puccio
Stannard
Rowe

This is the squad which has been together for the last few months. Which is what Sky always does. Also in interviews they have said as much.

Roche, Nieve, Konig and Golas will go if illness rules others out.

Roche had a awful Giro by his standards, Sky would already have 2 small climbers they don't need another pure climber and Nieve won't be at his best after the Giro. Look how Konig did at the tour last year! Kiri hasn't done much this year and nothing last year in stage races (TTs don't help a GC team). Dave B praised Pucci and said Sky would develop him as they rate him.

I like Kiri just don't think he will go! But more importantly wouldn't he have been in the Dauphine squad if they were gona take him 2 the tour?

Re: Re:

Oliwright said:
HelloDolly said:

3 places up for grabs depends on form, position in team, experience, and what else they bring to the table

He won't be in top form since he did the Giro and Sky will already take 2 small punchy climbers in Landa and Henao

do you actually read anyone else's post or you just want to post your own thoughts over and over again
I never said Heano would go to the Tour and its not definte he will..I said who I thought should go..Nieve fro the long climbs and because he is consistent ..he is not a small punchy rider and very differnt to Henao..he is a man for long stedy climbs
Just as its rubbish to say Roche is not strong enough cos of poor form at Giro when that has always been his pattern in his first GTs. Poels is not good so far at this Dauphine so should he not go ??
You strike me you know very little about what constitutes a team ..I think there is nothing left to say on this from my point of view...
I have nothing left to say

HelloDolly said:
Oliwright said:
HelloDolly said:

do you actually read anyone else's post or you just want to post your own thoughts over and over again
I never said Heano would go to the Tour and its not definte he will..I said who I thought should go..Nieve fro the long climbs and because he is consistent ..he is not a small punchy rider and very differnt to Henao..he is a man for long stedy climbs
Just as its rubbish to say Roche is not strong enough cos of poor form at Giro when that has always been his pattern in his first GTs. Poels is not good so far at this Dauphine so should he not go ??
You strike me you know very little about what constitutes a team ..I think there is nothing left to say on this from my point of view...
I have nothing left to say

lol. Let's see late June when the team is announced.

no Konig in the TDF

"I just want to do my best and enjoy every single stage and race. I don't really know what goals I can set myself. I have a few things in my mind, but hopefully I can help G have a really good Tour de Suisse, then it's the national championships, hopefully the Tour of Poland and the Olympics, then it's the Vuelta a Espana - so there's a lot ahead.

Read more at http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/home/article/81505#a0JZm3XRE7mQQTLC.99

Re:

CTQ said:
no Konig in the TDF

"I just want to do my best and enjoy every single stage and race. I don't really know what goals I can set myself. I have a few things in my mind, but hopefully I can help G have a really good Tour de Suisse, then it's the national championships, hopefully the Tour of Poland and the Olympics, then it's the Vuelta a Espana - so there's a lot ahead.

Read more at http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/home/article/81505#a0JZm3XRE7mQQTLC.99

Makes sense after being out for so long. Down to 11 for 9 places.

Re:

Oliwright said:
Kwiat is apparently ill and has a lung issue, but we clearly say from 1st stage he is on form apart from that!

Henao and Landa have been quality over the last few days!

Poels was great stage 1 and isn't ill apparently so hopefully he will be better!

Kwiatkowski did a good prologue at Romandie and then DNF'd shortly after as well. It's unfortunate and I really like him as a rider but you can't justify taking him to the Tour.

I thought Roche rode a pretty good Giro actually and he's always been a rider who gets better as the season goes on and knows how to handle back to back grand tours. He's experienced, versatile and speaks Spanish (which is important with at least two Spanish speakers in the team). He'll be going.

I think Froome, Thomas, Landa, Poels, Roche, Rowe and Stannard are all very likely to be selected. It's a big two days in the Dauphine for Puccio coming up. If he does a good job setting tempo in the mountains then he'll secure his place ahead of Kiryienka who had a pretty average spring and missed the Giro for some reason (illness?).

The Nieve/Henao selection battle is probably going to be the hardest decision to be made. I really doubt both make the team because then you have three riders (with Landa) who won't be useful on the flat.

I actually dont want Roche picked as want him for the Olympics to help Dan Martin and also to be fresh for the GT he does best ...the vuelta

But if I were picking the team I would pick dependent and experience Doms and take Kiry, Nieve & Roche
Along with Froome, Thomas, Landa, Poels, Stannard & Rowe

Heano is a great rider but I'd leave him out
Same with Puccio ....for the reasons I value a more steady rider who will be there every day& has experience of the madness of the Tour
Froome has enough power in the mountains with Thomas, Landa & Poels
Nieve can be kept for last week where he will be invaluable on long climbs to help others
Roche can substitute everywhere as needed and he is a very good road captain who is brings calm to the team
Kiry is strong esp for the TTT ( where Nieve may not be so strong)

Anyway I am going to stop talking about this now as will wait and see

JRanton said:
Oliwright said:
Kwiat is apparently ill and has a lung issue, but we clearly say from 1st stage he is on form apart from that!

Henao and Landa have been quality over the last few days!

Poels was great stage 1 and isn't ill apparently so hopefully he will be better!

Kwiatkowski did a good prologue at Romandie and then DNF'd shortly after as well. It's unfortunate and I really like him as a rider but you can't justify taking him to the Tour.

I thought Roche rode a pretty good Giro actually and he's always been a rider who gets better as the season goes on and knows how to handle back to back grand tours. He's experienced, versatile and speaks Spanish (which is important with at least two Spanish speakers in the team). He'll be going.

I think Froome, Thomas, Landa, Poels, Roche, Rowe and Stannard are all very likely to be selected. It's a big two days in the Dauphine for Puccio coming up. If he does a good job setting tempo in the mountains then he'll secure his place ahead of Kiryienka who had a pretty average spring and missed the Giro for some reason (illness?).

The Nieve/Henao selection battle is probably going to be the hardest decision to be made. I really doubt both make the team because then you have three riders (with Landa) who won't be useful on the flat.

I agree with almost everything you said here :).
I think now Kwiat is uncertain then Roche has a better chance as they are riders who are good in the bunch and in medium mountains. But i just don't think he has been good enough performance wise. Roche may be good at doing back 2 back GT2s, but it isn't the best way to prepare for the tour. I think if Kwiat doesn't go, they will take Kiri or Nieve instead. And use other riders in the Kwiat role. I could se Roche potentially going but i can't see how u think he's a certain.

I don't see much between Nieve and Henao. They are different riders Henao is more punchy Nieve better on long climbs. Nieve would perform better at the the Vuelta since he can be on top top form for then. I think it's more likely will take Henao. Also i think Henao will only improve as the doping case will have set him back a bit.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Oliwright said:
Last year only G from Sky's TDS team went to the tour.
I don't understand all the Tour team talk neither. Mishaps aside, the planning is to go to the Tour with the Dauphine team plus Thomas.

janraaskalt2 said:
Oliwright said:
I don't understand all the Tour team talk neither. Mishaps aside, the planning is to go to the Tour with the Dauphine team plus Thomas.

I don;t think that is necessarily true ....for instance I cannot see Kwait & Puccio doing the Tour....oh God I need to stop doing this :p

janraaskalt2 said:
Oliwright said:
It would be beyond ridiculous if they don't take their riders' form into account.

Kwiatkowski shouldn't even be considered at this point. If Sky can't see that, then well...

TRENDING THREADS