• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

Oliwright said:
As a Sky fan ngl, i like them having such a strong team. But i understand it can suffocate the race.

To be fair if u look at Tinkov's squad The have Kiserlovski, Trofimov and Kreuziger who have all finished at least top 10 in Gts. But it isn't quite as good as Sky.

Astana's is also good, it's the Giro squad which dominated last year minus Landa.

But for Sky Froome, Landa, Henao, Poels will probably all be top 15 today if on form! And Kwiat could go top 25!
So it's going to be very exciting!
So when Trofimov, Kreuziger and Kiserlovski could be top ten and Landa, Henao and Poels to 15...

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
When you go to a Grand Tour with the intention of winning it, the number of domestiques you can put in the top 10 is irrelevant. The only thing that counts is whether you can put your leader number 1. Not number 3, or 5, or 10, but number 1. Any team in the world would rather win the Tour and have no other riders in the top 20 than finish second and have four domestiques in the top 20.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Homo Helveticus said:
When you go to a Grand Tour with the intention of winning it, the number of domestiques you can put in the top 10 is irrelevant. The only thing that counts is whether you can put your leader number 1. Not number 3, or 5, or 10, but number 1. Any team in the world would rather win the Tour and have no other riders in the top 20 than finish second and have four domestiques in the top 20.
Of course it is, but talk is about how strong is team.
Edit: like you misunderstood context.

Very weak from Kwiatkowski. He's so inconsistent and unreliable. Roche please instead of him.

I remember Poels wasn't very good at the start of the Dauphine last year but he came good at the end and he even did a good prologue this year. Just a bad day for him.

I don't generally have a good feeling about Sky in stage races this season. Today was a bit of a calamity to finish the stage with basically just Froome left in contention for GC.

Funnily enough their performances in the classics were very good (especially in the monuments where they were the most consistent team).

Just to give you an indication of the under-performance. At the start of the year their current CQ Ranking was 14,200. That has since dropped to 12,700 despite a strong classics campaign. Main reasons for that: Konig and Intxausti missing nearly the entire season so far, Henao's suspension, Landa's DNF at the Giro, Kwiatkowski's poor form and Froome's slow start. Even Thomas hasn't really done anything since Paris-Nice and Kennaugh since the Australia races in early February.

Nieve rode a good Giro and obviously Poels has had an excellent season. Roche has ridden himself into form pretty well after a rough start to the year. Including Thomas and Henao (who has been great aside from his unfortunate suspension), that's five riders who I would say have either met or exceeded expectations in their performance so far this season. Just 5 out of the 11 riders who you'd say would be their strongest riders for the mountain stages at the Tour. Not great.

Look at the ''Tour squad's'' performances at Catalunya and Romandie. Very poor. Let's see what the rest of the Dauphine and Suisse (Thomas and Konig) reveals.

Well one ting for me seems sure so far from the Dauphine ...Rowe & Stannard look good and would be definite or me for the Tour

I am still on Nieve , Landa & Henao for the mountains at the Tour...should know by Sunday
Thomas & Poels as well for the team

Kwait does not look in shape...unless he is delaying his peak for the Olympics (maybe Poels too) but he looked pretty laboured on that climb yesterday

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Well one ting for me seems sure so far from the Dauphine ...Rowe & Stannard look good and would be definite or me for the Tour

Rowe and Stannard are almost certain to go to the Tour, their places are not even up for discussion really. They were superb on the flat in last years Tour, riding on the front for Km after Km.

Re:

bikinggirl said:
Are "Cyclingnews" owned by SKY? To me it looks like it!

No but cycling news is in English, so it attracts a large English speaking audience. A lot of English people support Sky, therefore they get more clicks etc.

They do do a better job than cycling weekly at being equal.

Kwiat is apparently ill and has a lung issue, but we clearly say from 1st stage he is on form apart from that!

Henao and Landa have been quality over the last few days!

Poels was great stage 1 and isn't ill apparently so hopefully he will be better!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Oliwright said:
Apparently Thomas is on 2Mill a year!!!!
Crazy but he is so valuable to Sky!

Can't wait for Today's stage! Sky could prove to be soooo strong!!!
what's so crazy about that salary?

Re: Re:

Oliwright said:
bikinggirl said:

No but cycling news is in English, so it attracts a large English speaking audience. A lot of English people support Sky, therefore they get more clicks etc.

Well, I believe Cyclingweekly is actually British, while Cyclingnews is supposed to be more international.

Re: Re:

Vasilis said:
Oliwright said:
bikinggirl said:

Well, I believe Cyclingweekly is actually British, while Cyclingnews is supposed to be more international.

Yes and they are. But all the permanent cyclingnews journalist are British and are based in the uk. Therefore it's only natural that they cover Sky (who get them the most views) the most.

Oliwright said:
With Quiat abandoning them his Tour participation is now in doubt! Kiri or Konig could replace if they go well in Swisse?

More likely Roche will double up. He has history of doing that well, although it's nearly always been Tour-Vuelta. You can't justify taking Kwiatkowski as a domestique to the Tour based on what he's shown this year. He'll be more useful in the Vuelta squad with that relatively long TTT.

Not going: Kennaugh (injury), Intxausti (illness), Kwiatkowski (illness/poor form), Deignan, Knees, Boswell, Lopez, Seb Henao (Giro), Moscon, Peters (neo-pros), Swift, Van Poppel, Fenn, Viviani (sprinters), Nordhaug (one day rider) Golas, Zandio (better flat doms available).

Which leaves:

Froome
Thomas
Landa
Poels
Sergio Henao/Nieve
Roche/Konig
Puccio/Kiryienka
Stannard
Rowe

Landa seems to be the strongest climbing domestique for Sky in the Dauphine so he's going. Henao isn't quite at his best (which isn't surprising after what happened) so it's him and Nieve fighting it out for a place. Konig will have to be very good at Suisse to go instead of Roche. The KIryienka/Puccio battle is interesting. Hard to call but you'd imagine Puccio has the edge given he's in the Dauphine team.

TRENDING THREADS