• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

Oliwright said:
How has Kiri ridden at this race? With the illness for Kwiat it's harder to choose the predict who they will use in his role. Roche could get a ride depending on how Kiri rides.

He was pulling on the final climb yesterday doing his usual stony faced job, I'd take him over Kwiatkowski if you are looking for a solid Dom

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

KubaWinter said:
Kwiato is very strong and Froome himself insisted on his participation at the Tour. We'll see if he starts at national RR ;)
Thats weird! Or does Froome knows anything special we dont?(his peak weeks)
He seemed pretty rubbish almost whole season :(

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

That will be the tour-ticket for kiri. Better at the climb as Kwiat and better at the Flats too. Kwiat or Puccio out after today i would say.

Yates were both certain signings for Sky at somepoint. I imagine Adam will still definitely go to Sky at somepoint, I wonder how far they would stretch the 0 tolerance policy considering UCI agreed it was accidental.

DBotero said:
HelloDolly said:
Today at Suisse shwos why you'd bring Kiry every day to the Tour over Kwaito ...

Yeah he should be in.He's even in better shape than Thomas.I don't know what is wrong with Thomas but he doesn't look ready for TDF.

Still over 2 weeks to go, he will still be a good Dom for Froome next month. By his own admission he has lost a lot of weight this year, maybe struggling a little with it?

Pricey_sky said:
DBotero said:
HelloDolly said:
Today at Suisse shwos why you'd bring Kiry every day to the Tour over Kwaito ...

Yeah he should be in.He's even in better shape than Thomas.I don't know what is wrong with Thomas but he doesn't look ready for TDF.

Still over 2 weeks to go, he will still be a good Dom for Froome next month. By his own admission he has lost a lot of weight this year, maybe struggling a little with it?

I don't know he was very good in the first part of the season but now he doesn't look at all as a rider which deserves a protected role.Of course he'll still be a great domestique for Froome,as always.It looks like we need to wait for another GT to see what he can do from the GC perspective.

Certain: Froome, Thomas, Landa, Poels, Rowe, Stannard

3 from these 5: Roche, Nieve, Henao, Kiryienka, Puccio

If Thomas isn't protected, which he shouldn't be, then it slightly changes the dynamic of the team. You can use him on the flat stages, which perhaps means you can get away with selecting 3 pure climbers in Landa, Henao and Nieve. Personally, I'd only take 2 of them but even with all 3 of them there would still be space for Thomas, Kiryienka, Stannard and Rowe which is an excellent block of riders to protect you on the flat.

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I would go with Froome, Thomas, Landa, Henao, Poels, Rowe, Kiryenka and Stannard with either Kwiatkowski or Puccio for the last spot, a ridiculous strong team which is also well balanced for all terrains.

JRanton said:
Valv.Piti said:
So you take either Puccio/Roche over Henao/Nieve?

Yes, so the team has the right balance. Like I said though, I think Thomas not being protected significantly improves the chances of Henao, Landa and Nieve all being selected.

Got you, but I should probably have phrased it differently: So who do you take?
I take Nieve, Henao and Kiri. I think Henao is a no brainer unless you are thinking Pologne, Sebastian and Vuelta for him, but if Tour is all they think about, I think he should be a lock.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
It's reliable insider info. Kwiato caught some pulmonary infection - you can hear his hoarse voice at one of his facebook videos just after quitting Dauphine. His numbers show that he is in an extremely good shape and he can read the race extremely well. That's why Froome wants him. Not only to pull, but also to shelter and pull in the right moments.

You can complete Sky's tour roaster from their riders who won't start in RR at nationals.

JRanton said:

If Thomas isn't protected, which he shouldn't be, then it slightly changes the dynamic of the team. You can use him on the flat stages, which perhaps means you can get away with selecting 3 pure climbers in Landa, Henao and Nieve. Personally, I'd only take 2 of them but even with all 3 of them there would still be space for Thomas, Kiryienka, Stannard and Rowe which is an excellent block of riders to protect you on the flat.

There needs to be balance of the team physically but also mentally

Nieve , Henao, Landa, Thomas , Kiryenkia, Poels etc are all quiet on the road and don't a say much etc

Need a strong road captain to sort out the other team negotiations, organisation,etc

I think Thomas & Poels have not looked great and if this continues then both will be doing the lower slopes of the climbs which leaves SKY needing both Landa & Nieve for further up

Henao can put down the pace but not as good imo on the higher climbs plus can be very inconsistent in GTs....that is my only issue with him

Froome , Thomas, Poels, Nieve, Landa , Stannard & Rowe , KIryenka

were my 8 to begin with .....

The last mystery rider could be any of 4

Buy then again Poels & Thomas may come good in the final week

HelloDolly said:
JRanton said:

There needs to be balance of the team physically but also mentally

Nieve , Henao, Landa, Thomas , Kiryenkia, Poels etc are all quiet on the road and don't a say much etc

Need a strong road captain to sort out the other team negotiations, organisation,etc

I think Thomas & Poels have not looked great and if this continues then both will be doing the lower slopes of the climbs which leaves SKY needing both Landa & Nieve for further up

Henao can put down the pace but not as good imo on the higher climbs plus can be very inconsistent in GTs....that is my only issue with him

Froome , Thomas, Poels, Nieve, Landa , Stannard & Rowe , KIryenka

were my 8 to begin with .....

The last mystery rider could be any of 4

Buy then again Poels & Thomas may come good in the final week

Poels will be fine at TDF, he wasn't great at last years Dauphine and in the final week of the Tour he was stronger than Thomas.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

KubaWinter said:
It's reliable insider info. Kwiato caught some pulmonary infection - you can hear his hoarse voice at one of his facebook videos just after quitting Dauphine. His numbers show that he is in an extremely good shape and he can read the race extremely well. That's why Froome wants him. Not only to pull, but also to shelter and pull in the right moments.

You can complete Sky's tour roaster from their riders who won't start in RR at nationals.

Yea Kwiatkowski is going if he is recovered. People forgetting he was ill at the dauphine but his form is fine (did really well in the uphill prologue.)

Id take Kiry and Henao for the last two spots.

Pricey_sky said:
DBotero said:
HelloDolly said:

Whats the point of having marginal gains due to weight reduction if the rider becomes susceptible to rain and cold. Couldn't they have put more research into the clothing & weather to prevent just that.

As a Sky fan so much debate over the squad for the Tour is a good thing. I'm sure that the following riders are all but confirmed to go based on form, experience, reputation and nationality.
Froome, Landa, Poels, Rowe, Stannard, Thomas and Henao.

People are debating whether Henao will go, but he was on stellar form in the Dauphine and is held in such high regard at Sky. I'm certain he will go.
I'm not trying to be rude but If people are surprised by the other 6 riders then they don't know enough about Team Sky.

That leaves 2 spots for the following riders to fill: Nieve, Kiri, Kwiat, Roche and Puccio if your being realistic.
In the 7 there is 2 GC riders, 2 pure climbers, 2 classics riders and Poels who is a good allrounder.
With Thomas being protected this year, imo they need another rider for the medium mountains and a rider for the flat.

Let's go through the riders who could end up going:
Kwiat: He would definitely be going if he was healthy, as his form was clearly good from the Dauphine prologue. If he is fit he will go, Sky aren't paying him 2 millions euros just for the Ardennes. He would fill the medium mountains role and can perform well in the high Alps. But we don't know what his health is like.

Kiri: Has been disappointing in stages races for the last two seasons (apart from this TDS and ITTs) based on his standards. So up until this weeks I didn't expect him to go, but I would now be surprised if he didn't make it. Especially with him able to fill both of the roles left.

Nieve: People keep referring back to the fact that Nieve said he was promised the tour at the start of the season. No one at Sky is promised at Tour spot (refer to Wiggins 2013&14 if u disagree). Nieve and S Henao effectively swapped race programs after he couldn't go to the giro.
I think Henao and Landa are better for the high mountains when you consider he won't be in top form after a tough giro and I don't think Sky need 3 pure climbers. However Since we've seen pics of him with the Tour squad I wouldn't be surprised if he went but Imo I can only see him going if Kwiat doesn't go.

Puccio: He wasn't on his best form at the Dauphine and with Kiri being back to his old self then he could miss out, after I previously expected him to go.

Roche: GT experience is the only reason he would go. He hasn't been on his best form since signing for Sky and IMO he was very poor at the 2015 Tour and 2016 Giro. Unless 2 of Nieve, Kwiat and Kiri can't go then he won't go. He admitted as much at the Giro when he said he wouldn't be surprised if his ambitions to go to all 3 GTs and Sky's plans differ.

The team will be:
Froome
Thomas
Landa
Henao
Poels
Rowe
Stannard

Kwiat and Kiri. (Nieve if Kwiat isn't healthy)

(No matter which riders fill those last two spots the Sky team will be by far the strongest at the Tour!)

Last season Sky announced the squad 6 days before so we well probably be kept waiting till the 26/27th.

(Also if you compare this team to that of 2014: Froome, Porte, Nieve, Lopez, Thomas, Zandio, Pate , Kiri and Eisel. It is much improved!!)

TRENDING THREADS