• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Considering Bernal has a long road to recovery. Who will get a chance now to lead the team on races such as the Tour?

Thomas could be it but i feel that his head is not in it anymore. That leaves Carapaz or Yates? Or do they have a youngster capable of a surprise?
On this parcour, with a cobble stage and 60 km of TT, it almost has to be Thomas. Carapaz and Yates would lost minutes on these 3 stages.

I think they can take Dylan Van Baarle and turn him into a gc guy. He would be perfect for that tour route. He has such an engine, great TT great on the cobbles. He can also apparently win mountain dauphine stages.

Or maybe Kiwato wants finally to try doing GC in a grand tour after 2013 :).

Yates, Carapaz and Geoghegan Hart can be super strong but a shambles in the cobbles.

It would be a bit funny if, given how much they chuck money at riders and buying superstars, they end up having Thomas as leader in TDF again. Although given the circumstances, not that funny.

I think they can take Dylan Van Baarle and turn him into a gc guy. He would be perfect for that tour route. He has such an engine, great TT great on the cobbles. He can also apparently win mountain dauphine stages.

Or maybe Kiwato wants finally to try doing GC in a grand tour after 2013 :).

Yates, Carapaz and Geoghegan Hart can be super strong but a shambles in the cobbles.

It would be a bit funny if, given how much they chuck money at riders and buying superstars, they end up having Thomas as leader in TDF again. Although given the circumstances, not that funny.
They could also turn Ganna in a GC rider. Paris-Roubaix U23 winner and also not that shabby at TT's.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Maybe Tom Pidcock will be called up for the TdF. He won the U23 baby Giro and also the U23 Paris Roubaix...as well as an Olympic Gold medal winner. He's much better at staying on his bike the G. Thomas.

If you watch the race tonight, you'll see that he gets off his bike and runs very often. Not a good strategy if you're going for a Tour win.

That doesn't make it a good strategy. Just as well as taking a poop break at the bottom of a mountain is not a good strategy.

I don't think Pidcock usually runs a lot in MTB either, so as long as he's aware of the kind of race he's doing, he should be alright.
That said, he did lose out on a victory just a week ago, because he wasn't able to stay on his bike.

If you watch the race tonight, you'll see that he gets off his bike and runs very often. Not a good strategy if you're going for a Tour win.

I'd certainly be surprised if there was suddenly random stairs in the middle of the Tour route.

don't think Pidcock usually runs a lot in MTB either, so as long as he's aware of the kind of race he's doing, he should be alright.

I generally hope most riders know what kind of race they're doing.

I generally hope most riders know what kind of race they're doing.

They probably generally know the type of race, but they certainly don't always know the parcours well, and there have also been incidents where they didn't even knew what country they were in!

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a couple of the riders racing on Mallorca, who aren't quite sure of the name of today's Trofeo.

• Haha
As long as they know that the TdF - and road racing in general - doesn't usually involve stairs.

You're sure about that?

tour-de-france-staff-member-moves-out-the-podium-on-july-25-at-the-picture-id82064287

You are being very silly.
I don't think any has ever in the middle of a road race randomly thought; "I'm gonna run up those stairs!"
Maybe you have...

Didn't Démare and Breschel once go into an autocamper in order to take a dump? That's actually a combination of those two very bad strategic choices we're talking about as entering most autocampers would involve a couple of stairs.

Didn't Démare and Breschel once go into an autocamper in order to take a dump? That's actually a combination of those two very bad strategic choices we're talking about as entering most autocampers would involve a couple of stairs.

In fact, that would be a combination of three very bad strategic choices:

1. Going up stairs in the middle of a road race.
  2. Taking a dump in the middle of a (road) race.
  3. Entering a random autocamper in the middle of a (road) race.

And I sure hope it was two different incidents!

• Haha