• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1237 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Parker said:
The ignore button is for people who are afraid of alternative views. It is only used by the insecure..

Well then Kennaugh is insecure for immediately blocking the first person to make the point that Sky had worked with Lienders just like Astana had worked with Ferrari.

There were no insults in the tweet btw.

As to your predictable response that Sky cyclists don't care what people who doubt Sky think, that won't work considering kennaugh actually made the effort to block the opposing opinion.

Actually, that's an incorrect use of the term "opposing opinion", by me. It was more of a statement of a well known fact than an opinion, from the tweeter.

ChewbaccaD said:
Many of us were taking mountains of abuse everywhere when we were the minority of voices against Armstrong and the dopers of his era...Now, the same happens from the same type of person that defended USPS, only now the colors of their jerseys is black and this hideous blue color...

So, I think any of us would voice our opinions regardless of the amount of, or stupidity of the voices that oppose us...because we've done that already and have the tee shirt.

Parker is still bitter about Lance being caught. Its been coming out when he gets aggressive quite a lot.

Kind of like wiggo actually.

Parker said:
But did he get abuse from those claiming to fight for a clean sport? Kennaugh's abusers on twitter came from this forum and the tweeter 'Digger Forum' and his disciples.

After his tweet, for them he became the biggest subject of doping tweets - more than anyone named in the Ferrari stories.

They want riders to speak out. But only if it's the riders they approve of voicing opinions they share themselves.

If you ask riders to speak out and they do, do not attack them. If you disagree, fair enough, politely ask questions. But if you abuse them you are showing others who would like to speak out what they can expect. The rabid doping fans have become the omerta enforcers they despise. Such is revolution.

This is unsupported by the history of what I've seen Digger write. It seems to me this is instead, just you attacking those who have been critical of Sky.

ChewbaccaD said:
Many of us were taking mountains of abuse everywhere when we were the minority of voices against Armstrong and the dopers of his era...Now, the same happens from the same type of person that defended USPS, only now the colors of their jerseys is black and this hideous blue color...

So, I think any of us would voice our opinions regardless of the amount of, or stupidity of the voices that oppose us...because we've done that already and have the tee shirt.

I still get abused. Daily :cool:

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Parker said:
However, I wont respond to a cyclist speaking out by abusing him.

However, there many did. Here's a fairly mild example:

****** @***** · 23h 23 hours ago
CyclingNews republish @Petekennaugh's outrage, and handily forget his hypocrisy. Chapeau CN!

BY the way. That's me having a go at cycling news, for the record, and their shoddy journalism, not Kennaugh. Yes he is a hypocrite for claiming "working with Ferrari" is laughable when his own team mate said exactly the same thing and he said.... NOTHING.

But the article where Rogers claimed he only received coaching from Ferrari is right there in their own database / website.

Nice to see you reading my tweets though, good choice :D

Dear Wiggo said:
Nice to see you reading my tweets though, good choice :D

Parker is obsessed with the clinic and it's posters. Which isn't neccesarily wrong, except that every now and then he makes posts on here accusing everyone of being mentally ill, claiming to be a big shot himself and mocking everyone for spending so much time here talking about things that have no impact on their lives.

But as is so often the case with people who are most unspoken and insulting on their rejection of certain behaviours, they just can't help doing the exact same things themselves.

Very similar to martinvickers actually who also often made posts claiming to be above the clinic, but was himself so obsessed with it he couldn't even wait out a ban.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
I'm sorry you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles.

Leinders, a doctor with clear ties to doping riders, was hired to check the weight of riders every morning. Sky hired him to show that they put doping doctors in their place. They humbled the guy, giving him a menial task that would show the world how doping doctors like him should be treated. Sky is looking for marginal gains in every way, and having a renowned doping doctor taking the weight of riders in the morning is a marginal gain for clean cycling. Quit being so pessimistic.

I'm an atheist, I didn't believe in miracles until I read your post.
Its a miracle that you believe what you posted:D marginal gains:D

Parker said:
So what it comes down is your opinion. That is more important than the truth. The 'truth' is paramount as long as it is written by you.

In your opinion Leinders could only have been hired for doping. That must not be contadicted. The first rule of internet forums is 'protect your opinion'. While Kennaugh knows what the truth is, it cannot be compared to the validity of you opinion (how can it when you are so infallible?). How arrogant are you to think that your unsupported opinions are more valid than his actual experiences? Fool and liar, you call him. Based on nothing more than your opinion. Incredibly arrogant is the answer.

So you want people to speak out against dopers. But only on the condition that the rider saying it is acceptable to you and voices your opinion, not theirs.

Except where I never actually said that. What I implied was that if a team desperate to be seen as at the forefront of a new clean generation wanted to hire somebody to fulfil the doctor's functions but not to dope, Geert Leinders, a doctor known for doping riders, is a stupid idea.

You were arguing that we don't know the full details of a team doctor's role as a point against people being very cynical about Kennaugh's assertion that Leinders only took riders' weights, so calm it with the suspicion and derision. I was arguing that it's impossible to avoid suspicion when a clean team hires Geert Leinders, because of the reputational risk that Brailsford so belatedly admitted existed.

1. If you want to hire a doctor to dope your riders, Leinders is a good guy to have around, anecdotal evidence from Rabobank has shown.
2. If you want to hire a doctor to ride clean, Leinders may well be a good guy to have around, I don't know. However because of point 1, his reputation will always mean that his presence arouses suspicion.
3. If you want to hire a doctor to ride clean and ensure that the team looks clean, Leinders is not a good guy to have around, because his past shady activities precede and destroy him.

It's possible that Leinders went to Sky with every intent of acting in the interests of clean cycling. It's entirely possible that Leinders' hiring was not to do with doping. In which case Leinders' presence at Sky is a red herring in the Clinic's prying into Sky's perceived shadiness. BUT, if it is a red herring... why are there red herrings? Why does the team hire a guy whose presence they need to justify at all turns because of his doping connections? It's just a terrible decision.

And of course, this is notwithstanding that his presence on the team more or less guarantees doping. Not in the words of the Clinic (though I'm sure most of the so-called Clinic 12 would happily say so), but in fact in the words of Dave Brailsford, who more or less acknowledges his own hypocrisy AND that people connected to Team Sky are cheats:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-hits-back-at-accusations-and-criticism-of-team-sky

Dave Brailsford said:
"Of course it was a mistake. Absolutely. But hiring one doctor, who worked for 40 days, does that means we're doping now, are we? How does that work?" he said, using a stream of questions to give his answer.
So far so good. However, in the very next paragraph, he is quoted thus:

"If you’re a cheat, you're a cheat, you're not half a cheat. You wouldn't say, 'I'll cheat here but I'm not going to cheat over there]

So, in hiring one doctor (who is a known doping doctor), it DOESN'T mean they're doping... BUT anybody who cheats IS a cheat, and cannot reform, or change. And as Leinders was a doping doc at Rabo, he would be perfectly willing to do so at Sky, because Brailsford doesn't believe in reformed dopers (except maybe David Millar).

Leinders' role may have been innocent, but because he is Geert Leinders, people will always have their own position on whether to believe that or not. Kennaugh can state from a position of knowledge, but his position is not independent because he is part of the team under question and has his own reputation to think about. You know that, I know that. I can claim independence, but I cannot state from a position of knowledge (and would have to declare a prior prejudice, of course).

The only way to fully prevent people connecting the Leinders dot would have been not to have hired him in the first place. And Brailsford knows that as well as anybody, since he admits it was a mistake.

Libertine Seguros said:

The only way to fully prevent people connecting the Leinders dot would have been not to have hired him in the first place. And Brailsford knows that as well as anybody, since he admits it was a mistake.

Great post, summarizing things well.

The only thing missing here is the hiring in the first place. One of two things happened. Either Sky hired Leinders knowing who and what he was in the past, and either they knew they were going to get blowback at some point, they thought they could avoid it or talk around it, or they did it not knowing his past.

I find the latter very hard to believe. Especially since there were riders on Sky who would know what he did on Rabobank, and since Sky are so into every detail, it boggles the mind that they would not look deeply into the past of anyone they would hire, ESPECIALLY a team doctor.

So that (in my view) leaves us with the former, that they hired him knowing full well who he was. So they either did so thinking they could avoid it becoming an issue or not caring that it might become an issue. Again the latter is hard to believe.

It very much appears they knew who he was, kept it very, very quiet, and then when it came out into the open who he was and that he was working with Sky, they dropped him.

All that said, they could have hired him and given him explicit direction not to dope riders. Maybe Leinders was looking for a place to land where he didn't have to. That explanation does not match well with the increase in Sky's performance over the time period in question.

It is VERY suspicious, to say the least.

red_flanders said:

The only thing missing here is the hiring in the first place. One of two things happened. Either Sky hired Leinders knowing who and what he was in the past, and either they knew they were going to get blowback at some point, they thought they could avoid it or talk around it, or they did it not knowing his past.

I find the latter very hard to believe. Especially since there were riders on Sky who would know what he did on Rabobank, and since Sky are so into every detail, it boggles the mind that they would not look deeply into the past of anyone they would hire, ESPECIALLY a team doctor.

So that (in my view) leaves us with the former, that they hired him knowing full well who he was. So they either did so thinking they could avoid it becoming an issue or not caring that it might become an issue. Again the latter is hard to believe.

It very much appears they knew who he was, kept it very, very quiet, and then when it came out into the open who he was and that he was working with Sky, they dropped him.

All that said, they could have hired him and given him explicit direction not to dope riders. Maybe Leinders was looking for a place to land where he didn't have to. That explanation does not match well with the increase in Sky's performance over the time period in question.

I think they hired him "officially" so there wouldn't be under the table payments or working with him secretly.

If it was "above board" in a open sort of way they could at least pretend it was done innocently.

I think Leinders was hired purely for his UCI connections and for pre-race testing (not at the race but prior) to make sure no one tests positive.

thehog said:
I think they hired him "officially" so there wouldn't be under the table payments or working with him secretly.

If it was "above board" in a open sort of way they could at least pretend it was done innocently.

I think Leinders was hired purely for his UCI connections and for pre-race testing (not at the race but prior) to make sure no one tests positive.

And, BTW, hiring a doctor for 40 days is exactly useful for a training program. You don't need him at or near races. You need him to setup some kind of schedule and monitor it. Maybe that schedule includes doping, maybe not.

Leinders time with Rasmussen as leader of the TdF is all that is needed to bring Sky into disrepute. I recall the excuse was Fran's Google-fu was no good. Google as a background check. Yeah...

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
red_flanders said:

Let's not forget
1. the reason used for Leinders hiring was a bunch of riders getting very mysteriously sick and pulling out during the first week (ie little chance of using the "riders are prone to get sick when they are on the very limit of healthiness" type excuses, given the whole tapering deal pre-GT) of the 2010 Vuelta.
2. the article that was published before / around the time they hired Leinders, quoting Brailsford as saying, "We may have to relax our ZTP".

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Let's not forget
1. the reason used for Leinders hiring was a bunch of riders getting very mysteriously sick and pulling out during the first week (ie little chance of using the "riders are prone to get sick when they are on the very limit of healthiness" type excuses, given the whole tapering deal pre-GT) of the 2010 Vuelta.
2. the article that was published before / around the time they hired Leinders, quoting Brailsford as saying, "We may have to relax our ZTP".

3. How their results improved (in stage races) once Leinders was hired.
Wiggo became a Tour winner who dominated the whole season -12, and Froome made a transformation never seen before in cycling.
Measuring weights? :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS