• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1345 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
wendybnt said:
"P'raps it is no paradox the behaviour manifested was indeed the behaviour one could expect of a passionate fan who wanted their sport to be clean"

There is an issue with this though. How far down the pelotonshould the fan go before he stops punching people? On the basis of doping, would you really rather see Contador win? Or Nibali??
I think the difference is that with some imagination, you could see Contador and Nibali being good cyclists in a clean peloton also. In other words, they are a lesser evil.
HaHaHa

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
I think the difference is that with some imagination, you could see Contador and Nibali being good cyclists in a clean peloton also. In other words, they are a lesser evil.

this^^^

fans do put an arbitrary interpretation of "natural talents".

RaceRadio said Ullrich was hopeless at Telekom before he got on the Edgar. And also Cuddles struggled going uphill before he was also on the edgar in the preseason at Telekom.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
When you suck the life out of a sport for fans, they turn on you...ask how many people like the Australian cricket team...back from when Ponting or Waugh captained or for that fact even now? They would tell you anyone to win but them.

The all winning and act like ar$eholes but pretend we aren't doesn't wash...

LaFlorecita said:
wendybnt said:
"P'raps it is no paradox the behaviour manifested was indeed the behaviour one could expect of a passionate fan who wanted their sport to be clean"

There is an issue with this though. How far down the pelotonshould the fan go before he stops punching people? On the basis of doping, would you really rather see Contador win? Or Nibali??
While it's nice that contador fans do now accept that their guy dopes, this kind of reasoning is only one step below "my guys are clean" as a justification for supporting a rider. You can't know if contador and Nibali would be good without dope. People used to say that about lance too. They obviously seem to have been way more likely to have been near the top than any of the sky riders, but they made their choices, committed 100% to the status quo, got rich and got success, and now it's too late to look back.

autologous said:
bigcog said:
Apparently a spectator punched Ritchie Porte in the last 3km in todays stage according to the Telegraph.

pretty hilarious since just recently Porte was actively calling out a spectator as a coward and accusing him of soiling their pants in his presence.

If I went around calling people cowards and telling the world they were little pussies with bladder control issues, I'd expect a punch in the face too.
Probably the same guy then?
Was it Robert Millar who got knocked off by a spectator in the Vuelta, then picket up his bike and hit him with it?

blackcat said:
iii) Froome and Brailsford say they will get independently tested after the Tour. There are a few things we can interpret, firstly, this is prima facie admission the current testing is $h!te and secondly, has not Radcliffe used this to divert and deflect without ever going so far as to store her blood and urine from the time she was breaking world records. Also, they then have the hide and contempt to complain about the lack of testing for nibali and contador on tenerife in 2014 a month before the tour.
There is also a track record of Brailsford saying they will do things to quell doubts arising during the Tour, but they'll do them after the Tour. Then not doing them.

Remember the investigation into Leinders' past that was going to be undertaken? And then nothing was heard at all, until Dan Benson asked Brailsford about it at the 2012 Worlds... and Brailsford literally ran away?

Or the Q&A session at Manchester where fans could come along and ask all manner of questions about the team's goings-on, and that never happened in any form even remotely like what they said would happen?

Maybe they'll eventually put stuff out when pressured, like happened when Lance pretended he was going to share his data from 2009 hoping everybody would forget about it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Libertine Seguros said:
blackcat said:
iii) Froome and Brailsford say they will get independently tested after the Tour. There are a few things we can interpret, firstly, this is prima facie admission the current testing is $h!te and secondly, has not Radcliffe used this to divert and deflect without ever going so far as to store her blood and urine from the time she was breaking world records. Also, they then have the hide and contempt to complain about the lack of testing for nibali and contador on tenerife in 2014 a month before the tour.
There is also a track record of Brailsford saying they will do things to quell doubts arising during the Tour, but they'll do them after the Tour. Then not doing them.

Remember the investigation into Leinders' past that was going to be undertaken? And then nothing was heard at all, until Dan Benson asked Brailsford about it at the 2012 Worlds... and Brailsford literally ran away?

Or the Q&A session at Manchester where fans could come along and ask all manner of questions about the team's goings-on, and that never happened in any form even remotely like what they said would happen?

Maybe they'll eventually put stuff out when pressured, like happened when Lance pretended he was going to share his data from 2009 hoping everybody would forget about it.

definitely, they dont feel under pressure on the asphalt and hot pour. They have the race well under their control. they cant lose the race.

but they cant win the race if no one believe's they are legit.

and this is why the aggressive posturing with their PR communications. They have ramped up their PR to Armstrong's most egregious period. extraordinary allegations require extraordinary proof et al et al.

They are competing for legitimacy to win off the road. And they have the Murdoch empire to underwrite their PR

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Libertine Seguros said:
blackcat said:

Hmm, pressure... so you basically assume some sufficiently strong force should launch a lawsuit, otherwise they don't give a flying fck and will continue with the "500 tests"-equivalent BS

Not at all. Enough people remembered the promises Lance had made that it wouldn't go away and in the end he released, albeit in highly edited form, some data. I don't expect Sky are going to go the whole way with any data they provide or even close. Just that, like with the Leinders investigation that was meant to be forgotten about (otherwise Brailsford would have had some kind of idea of how to respond prepared rather than running away), if enough people in places like the industry press remember it and keep bringing it up, they will need some action to avoid the negative PR. It's easy for them to dismiss the "fans with typewriters", but when those typewriters are connected to an audience it has a different effect.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
What Sky ought to do, moreover, what Froome needs to do, is to allow for tests to take place when the WADA people show up.

Letting someone test your blood/urine when you're not glowing doesn't exactly scream impartiality in my book.

Re: Sky

Fun times outside Sky bus before start of the stage (from http://www.bt.dk/cykling/sky-rytter-angreb-kyllingen-under-interview-du-er-en-skamplet-rasmussen).

Rasmussen was there as commentator for a newspaper. While surrounded by the press corps Peter Kennaugh approached him and asked about Michael's comment on twitter about Geraint Thomas that said 'track cyclist Geraint Thomas catches climber Nairo Quintana!'.

Rasmussen answered Kennaugh that he was merely impressed with Thomas.

'You have to be careful. People read things like that', Kennaugh said.

'Yes I know but people can believe what they want', Rasmussen.

'So is that what you think´ said Kennaugh (he thought Rasmussen implied doping use).

'I just said that I find it very impressive. I have climbed in the mountains myself', Rasmussen.

'Yes, but you were high (?) on something. You are a disgrace. A disgrace!', Kennaugh said and left.

Re:

Saint Unix said:
Seems like the pressure is getting to Sky. Kennaugh and Porte not far away from going full meltdown.

Reminds me of an infamous interview conducted years ago with a wrestler who put the beat down on a reporter who had the audacity to question the legitimacy of the "sport."
Ease up, everyone. That includes spectators who apparently threw a cup of pee at the VRoomster today.

It's awesome to me that Kennaugh knows about a random comment that was not even a real accusation from a pretty marginal guy like Rasmussen is now. The same paper asked him about it later and he said he found Kennuaghs behavior strange but, he said, 'That's his problem. I'm sure someone will ask him about it later.'