• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1367 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Poels often has one or 2 monster days on a steep climb durning a GT, just thing about 2014 Zoncolan and La Farrapona + Anglirú in 2011, but the fact that he got dropped on the first climb is really strange.

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Lyon said:
jellyfisher said:
argel said:
Froome almost being dropped by Poels and Porte :D

This.
To be fair, Poels and Porte couldn't drop Contador etc. when they responded to Quintanas first few attacks. Not that they have any business being near even a struggling Contador at that part of the stage.
They dropped him! :confused:
True, they dropped him later on. If it wasn't for Froomes performance it would have looked very much like a typical first mountain stage from Sky. How lucky to have 2 domestics working for you when you are not feeling good and you only had one the two previous day's...

May 26, 2009
Visit site

Lyon said:
LaFlorecita said:
Lyon said:
jellyfisher said:
argel said:
Froome almost being dropped by Poels and Porte :D

This.
To be fair, Poels and Porte couldn't drop Contador etc. when they responded to Quintanas first few attacks. Not that they have any business being near even a struggling Contador at that part of the stage.
They dropped him! :confused:
True, they dropped him later on. If it wasn't for Froomes performance it would have looked very much like a typical first mountain stage from Sky. How lucky to have 2 domestics working for you when you are not feeling good and you only had one the two previous day's...

Yeap a stroke of luck for Froome. Yet he didn't seem that 'ill' on the penultimate climb when he closed down Quintana.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

They dropped him! :confused:[/quote]
True, they dropped him later on. If it wasn't for Froomes performance it would have looked very much like a typical first mountain stage from Sky. How lucky to have 2 domestics working for you when you are not feeling good and you only had one the two previous day's...[/quote]

Yeap a stroke of luck for Froome. Yet he didn't seem that 'ill' on the penultimate climb when he closed down Quintana.[/quote]

We really need to reduce teams to max. 6, ideally 5.

CK3BRtGWgAEqO2W.jpg

Team Sky casually enjoying a couple of cans of celebratory urine.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

del1962 said:
42x16ss said:
arvc40 said:
Really great acting by Sky and Froome on the Alpe. Great PR exercise just like 2013.
My thoughts too. Once Froome finally hit the afterburners he clawed back roughly 12-15 seconds in around 2km. Controlled loss for PR reasons?

Why make things up, Quintana increased the gap in the last 2km by 5 seconds?

I don't think he's making things up.

It was confusing with the time gaps appearing to indicate time from Froome to Quintana, but in fact it was time from Pinot to Froome.

So the final time gap would potentially look like Froome had made time up on Quintana, when in fact the time gap went from the Pinot time gap to the Quintana time gap.

Just my 2c hypothesis as to the confusion.

I only say this as I found some of the time gap info confusing myself.

Dear Wiggo said:
del1962 said:
42x16ss said:
arvc40 said:
Really great acting by Sky and Froome on the Alpe. Great PR exercise just like 2013.
My thoughts too. Once Froome finally hit the afterburners he clawed back roughly 12-15 seconds in around 2km. Controlled loss for PR reasons?

It was confusing with the time gaps appearing to indicate time from Froome to Quintana, but in fact it was time from Pinot to Froome.

So the final time gap would potentially look like Froome had made time up on Quintana, when in fact the time gap went from the Pinot time gap to the Quintana time gap.

When Quintana crossed the line, the time gap from him to Froome was given as over 1'30. When Froome crossed the line it was barely 1'20. Watch the stage again, Froome took off like he was strapped to an ICBM shortly before Quintana crossed the line.

42x16ss said:
Dear Wiggo said:
del1962 said:
42x16ss said:
arvc40 said:

When Quintana crossed the line, the time gap from him to Froome was given as over 1'30. When Froome crossed the line it was barely 1'20. Watch the stage again, Froome took off like he was strapped to an ICBM shortly before Quintana crossed the line.

Total BS, I just watched it, gap at 2k 1.15, gap at finish 1.20.

Stop lying.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

42x16ss said:
Dear Wiggo said:
del1962 said:
42x16ss said:
arvc40 said:

Total BS, I just watched it, gap at 2k 1.15, gap at finish 1.20.

Stop lying.[/quote]

Another famous 42x16ss "fact" must match his theory or did Froome actually slow down in the last 2km's for PR reasons

gazr99 said:

Another famous 42x16ss "fact" must match his theory or did Froome actually slow down in the last 2km's for PR reasons

Doesn't matter that he makes stuff up because no doubt someone will be along any minute to say it doesn't matter that he made it up as there are another gazillion other made up things that prove doping and you have to challenge everyone of them

gazr99 said:

Tell us again how Froome had crap Kenyan gear at the 2010 Comm Games. Or how poor rural Africans can't become good junior and U23 cyclists. Or that the competition at the Comm Games is equal to La Vuelta. Or that South Africa has no cycling infrastructure or culture.

You've had a few nice misses this last week

42x16ss said:
gazr99 said:

Tell us again how Froome had crap Kenyan gear at the 2010 Comm Games. Or how poor rural Africans can't become good junior and U23 cyclists. Or that the competition at the Comm Games is equal to La Vuelta. Or that South Africa has no cycling infrastructure or culture.

What has this got to do with you making stuff up?

del1962 said:
gazr99 said:

Doesn't matter that he makes stuff up because no doubt someone will be along any minute to say it doesn't matter that he made it up as there are another gazillion other made up things that prove doping and you have to challenge everyone of them

Hey, I may be wrong, but I watched the stage live, and I also watched the replay. They showed Froome regaining time in the last few km. Ok, time gaps aren't always 100% accurate and Froome may have just emptied the tank, but he certainly raised his speed and effort as Quintana approached the finish and he ran out of teammates. Watch the stage again.

del1962 said:
42x16ss said:
gazr99 said:

What has this got to do with you making stuff up?

If I had a track record of getting things wrong more often than getting them right, I'd start stopping and fact checking what I'm about to say. Otherwise, you might gat laughed at when you try and tell people they're wrong. The Sky side of the fence has the poor track record when it comes to poetic licence too BTW, as I was pointing out

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

42x16ss said:
gazr99 said:

LOL when I have I ever said that. You should be a journalist getting about taking 20% of what someone says and turn it into something. These are great "facts" though :rolleyes:

I talked about Froome in 2006 not 2010 when he represented Kenya, in as those who were there described very basic equipment especially compared to many of his competitors. Never said Africans can't become good, said he hasn't been nurtured and had elite coaching since he was a junior like many of the peleton, that didn't start until his 20's and arguably when he joined Sky, he had truly elite coaching/support system. The other two I just never said

I have watched the stage and there is nothing suspicious about it, normally in an endurance event you tend to push harder at the end if you haven't blown yourself up, the climb was done by Froome ensuring that he didn't go it to the red allowing him to push harder in the final (though not gaining any time on Quintana in last 2k), nothing about it proves or disproves doping.

gazr99 said:
42x16ss said:
gazr99 said:

LOL when I have I ever said that. You should be a journalist getting about taking 20% of what someone says and turn it into something. These are great "facts" though :rolleyes:

I talked about Froome in 2006 not 2010 when he represented Kenya, in as those who were there described very basic equipment especially compared to many of his competitors. Never said Africans can't become good, said he hasn't been nurtured and had elite coaching since he was a junior like many of the peleton, that didn't start until his 20's and arguably when he joined Sky, he had truly elite coaching/support system. The other two I just never said

Let's see:

gazr99 said:
Sure fine yeah you must be right, I won't bring up that he had no elite coaching/infrastructure until 2010 and was irritating Team Sky by the fact they could see the talent and data to say he is great rider but he would be very inconsistent, which they found out in 2011 was due to a bacterial infection.

Ignoring the UCI WT Academy and the Barloworld set up.

About the talented young riders coming up in MTN Qhubeka:

gazr99 said:
Talented riders like the ones you mentioned are going to be spotted as Froome was, doesn't mean they were fulfilling their potential. How many of them were junior champions and on the Tour de L'Avenir while based in Africa, a continent which is not historically known for putting money into cycling

To which I pointed out that Teklehaimanot was 6th at l'Avenir and Elite African champ in all 3 disciplines despite being an U23 before moving to Europe. Berhane was African champ at 20 and won the Tours of Eritrea, Rwanda, La Tropical Amissa Bongo before joining Europcar and winning the overall at the Tour of Turkey as soon as he moved to Europe.

Don't you love search functions?

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I've always appreciated the value of that 17th in 2006 with shoddy equipment.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/mar06/commgames06/index.php?id=men_road_tt/e

Australia won just about every medal on the road that year. Honestly, it's a wonder the Commonwealth could produce 80 cyclists at all if they were going to limit Australia and Canada to just three each.

Anyway, Froome didn't beat anyone from Australia, New Zealand, England, Canada, Northern Ireland or South Africa. He beat the other guys on bikes like the one in that picture linked above.

del1962 said:
gazr99 said:

Doesn't matter that he makes stuff up
Bit rich coming from you. Considering you are the one who deliberately edited out words from a quote Marco Pinotti made, to make Marco look like he was supporting Lance, when in fact the whole quote in full clearly had a totally different meaning.

Re:

TheRedSon said:
I've always appreciated the value of that 17th in 2006 with shoddy equipment.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/mar06/commgames06/index.php?id=men_road_tt/e

Australia won just about every medal on the road that year. Honestly, it's a wonder the Commonwealth could produce 80 cyclists at all if they were going to limit Australia and Canada to just three each.

Anyway, Froome didn't beat anyone from Australia, New Zealand, England, Canada, Northern Ireland or South Africa. He beat the other guys on bikes like the one in that picture linked above.

It's not like O'Neill and Day were using the latest gear either. O'Neill was on a Six/13 Slice and Day an aluminium Teschner. Several others were on P3C's (probably the best frame on the market at the time) and other high end TT rigs. Can't find what Froome was on, he was at the UCI WT academy and hadn't joined Konica-Minolta by then.

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I haven't found a picture of Froome from that ITT either. There is one from the U23 World Championship that year where he's running into the official. No clue if it's the same bike though.

Just ridiculous to me that anything about that event screams "the guy in 17th is amazing!" He's the highest placed out of the... Less industrialized nations, he was just 22 and he got to sit in the hot seat a long time, but he wasn't close to winning in the end, and it's not guys like Rogers had to show up to finally unseat him.