• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1539 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

gunara said:
The 'anti-British' mantra, again.
I always have something for Britain, the people, their culture, the language, modern arts, the football, rugby etc.. How can I be anglophobic even if I wholeheartedly dislike Sky.
Ask me to name 20 active riders I like the most in the peloton, you'll hear Rowe, expand it to 30, I'll mention Stannard, 50 there'll be Swift. And I used to like Thomas too, until he murder an Alpe climb just after winning E3, and I kept finding things that make me stop liking him after that, my fondness of him before is less logical than the dislike. And I find Thomas epitomizing much of what bother a lot of people about Sky, and Moscon - an Italian - take it to the extreme, everything follow a pattern which has nothing to do with nationality, except for one thing: the defense. Every dislike of what Sky have been doing is more logical and easier to rationalize and less nationalistic than the spirited defense of them.
I still quite like Thomas because he seems friendly and funny but I agree, post classics to mountain goat transformation it became laughable. Even more so than Moscon I'd say, because he went to top 20 (solo, as Froome and Porte both retired) to top 5 climber (and teammate) in the space of a year. And was a track cyclist. At least Moscon has the (albeit unbelievable) excuse that he's young and people don't know what his ceiling is (? Sounds like something sky would say) and he once came 7th at an Avenir mountain stage in the same group as Oomen and Haig. Maybe.

Re:

Cycle Chic said:
I rewatched the Angliru stage re: Poels....its quite noticeable how often Poels keeps checking behind him....he's not checking if Froome is with him as he even does it before he takes that corner and its not to see where Zakarin is. Whys he always looking behind himself ?

Is he checking to see when its safe to turn on the motor ?
aye that's what he's doing with millions of people watching and anything could happen top the bikes...he is checking if the coast is clear to kick start the motor.

on the hairpins he is checking the state of the race, to see who is close by and to try and figure out where rides are....but thinking about it now, he really was just checking if its time to get the motor going

Re: Sky

deviant said:
Loving the wailing and gnashing of teeth, wonder if there would be this much vitriol if a Spanish, Italian out or French team was winning!?....oh I forgot, that's 'traditional' and it happens with 'panache' apparently so motors in bikes and being doped to the gills is ok on European WT teams...just not Anglo teams.

I'm starting to understand now.

I dont think you do; we despise all cheats if its Banesto, Postal or Sky

topt said:
deviant said:
Loving the wailing and gnashing of teeth, wonder if there would be this much vitriol if a Spanish, Italian out or French team was winning!?....oh I forgot, that's 'traditional' and it happens with 'panache' apparently so motors in bikes and being doped to the gills is ok on European WT teams...just not Anglo teams.

Might as well stick Astana in there somewhere.

topt said:
deviant said:

who is we?

It's the same guy who posted this:

deviant said:
What's it like being British?...

...it's like winning life's lottery.

Love it that this rankles with other nationalities, get over yourselves.

Is being British ok if we're just the plucky underdogs?... I can play national stereotypes too, I don't like seeing those sneaky swarthy slimy cheating Mediterranean types do their thing with all the bribery, hand gestures, shoulder shrugging, ganging up on other teams and riding with emotion etc etc blah blah bollocks etc...ah, that feels better...nothing like a bit of casual racism in the morning, gets the blood flowing.

There is an element of the 'traditional' cycling nations in Europe having their noses put out of joint by US-Postal 15 years ago and Sky currently, you can try to hide it behind accusations of doping, motorised bikes etc but if Sky are doing that kind of thing you can bet other teams are too, particularly given the gossip and friendships that are struck up between riders from differing teams and the rider movements and transfers mean a steady flow of information between teams...no, this is very much continental Europe not liking it that an 'Anglo' rider or team are winning...jealousy is a very ugly trait.

I'm not sure we should give him any kind of attention.

Re:

gunara said:
The 'anti-British' mantra, again.
I always have something for Britain, the people, their culture, the language, modern arts, the football, rugby etc.. How can I be anglophobic even if I wholeheartedly dislike Sky.
Ask me to name 20 active riders I like the most in the peloton, you'll hear Rowe, expand it to 30, I'll mention Stannard, 50 there'll be Swift. And I used to like Thomas too, until he murder an Alpe climb just after winning E3, and I kept finding things that make me stop liking him after that, my fondness of him before is less logical than the dislike. And I find Thomas epitomizing much of what bother a lot of people about Sky, and Moscon - an Italian - take it to the extreme, everything follow a pattern which has nothing to do with nationality, except for one thing: the defense. Every dislike of what Sky have been doing is more logical and easier to rationalize and less nationalistic than the spirited defense of them.

Where the riders were born really doesn't matter much. It's whether they (and the wider team) embody some of the values / ideas / attitudes that are important or attractive to me. If I thought Sky embodied or was emblematic of my country in any way, I'd trade in my soon-to-be Big Blue Passport for another identity. It's just part of the lazy strawman trotted out by SDB and his merry men to unite fans in defence of 'persecution' by Jonny Foreigner. That 'fans' suck it up and the media pander to it really is rather depressing.

Breh said:
It's the same guy who posted this:

deviant said:
What's it like being British?...

...it's like winning life's lottery.

Love it that this rankles with other nationalities, get over yourselves.

Is being British ok if we're just the plucky underdogs?... I can play national stereotypes too, I don't like seeing those sneaky swarthy slimy cheating Mediterranean types do their thing with all the bribery, hand gestures, shoulder shrugging, ganging up on other teams and riding with emotion etc etc blah blah bollocks etc...ah, that feels better...nothing like a bit of casual racism in the morning, gets the blood flowing.

There is an element of the 'traditional' cycling nations in Europe having their noses put out of joint by US-Postal 15 years ago and Sky currently, you can try to hide it behind accusations of doping, motorised bikes etc but if Sky are doing that kind of thing you can bet other teams are too, particularly given the gossip and friendships that are struck up between riders from differing teams and the rider movements and transfers mean a steady flow of information between teams...no, this is very much continental Europe not liking it that an 'Anglo' rider or team are winning...jealousy is a very ugly trait.

I'm not sure we should give him any kind of attention.

Holy crap. If he would have riding for Sky that text can turn him into GT-material.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
People tend to forget how anti-Spanish this place was (with good reason) before Sky popped up in the scene, so spare me the persecution complex.

Anti-Spanish or anti-Spanish riders doping?

I would've thought the latter.

Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
hrotha said:
People tend to forget how anti-Spanish this place was (with good reason) before Sky popped up in the scene, so spare me the persecution complex.

Anti-Spanish or anti-Spanish riders doping?

I would've thought the latter.
Not anti-Spanish riders doping: anti-the Spanish cycling establishment, from the riders to the teams, the federation, the antidoping authorities and the media.

And, as I said, it was with good reason.

deviant said:

You must be new to cycling!

Re: Re:

heart_attack_man said:
Benotti69 said:
Sky fans are acutually worse than Lance fans.

Check out Sean Ingle's twitter after his article casting doubts on Froome and Farah

https://twitter.com/seaningle/status/907219707241132035

Talk about people with a blindness.........

Just a warning to anyone going over to have a read of the comments on this article - make sure you take you suspend reality first.

:surprised: :lol: :rolleyes:

#botlogic

RE: WOUT POELS 2015 article in Cycling Weekly - interesting....

The Dutchman signed for Team Sky from Omega Pharma and immediately became close friends with Froome after the first team camp in Majorca this winter. Froome then invited Poels to train with him at altitude in the secluded mountains of South Africa, where they spent two weeks alone with just one Sky carer and monkeys for company.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/team-sky-making-me-a-better-rider-says-wout-poels-162256#izkKVDWukZiUEQFp.99

..but I also tried hard this winter and went to altitude training for the first time in my life. Sky is making me a better rider,” continued Poels.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/team-sky-making-me-a-better-rider-says-wout-poels-162256#izkKVDWukZiUEQFp.99...

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/team-sky-making-me-a-better-rider-says-wout-poels-162256

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Sky fans are acutually worse than Lance fans.

Check out Sean Ingle's twitter after his article casting doubts on Froome and Farah

https://twitter.com/seaningle/status/907219707241132035

Talk about people with a blindness.........

Ha, some great banter:

Written from a position of ignorance. To imply it is unusual for a cyclist to achieve his greatest results in his 30s

exactly, you only have to look at Lance Armstrong to see that

Or all the legitimate tour champions.

Define "legitimate"

'British', probably

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Cycle Chic said:
RE: WOUT POELS 2015 article in Cycling Weekly - interesting....

The Dutchman signed for Team Sky from Omega Pharma and immediately became close friends with Froome after the first team camp in Majorca this winter. Froome then invited Poels to train with him at altitude in the secluded mountains of South Africa, where they spent two weeks alone with just one Sky carer and monkeys for company.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/team-sky-making-me-a-better-rider-says-wout-poels-162256#izkKVDWukZiUEQFp.99

..but I also tried hard this winter and went to altitude training for the first time in my life. Sky is making me a better rider,” continued Poels.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/team-sky-making-me-a-better-rider-says-wout-poels-162256#izkKVDWukZiUEQFp.99...

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/team-sky-making-me-a-better-rider-says-wout-poels-162256

DISGUSTING!!!

Sky are now hiring monkeys as coaches!!!

FFS!!!

DJZN4tNXcAUkAdJ.jpg:large

So how many Brits were at the Vuelta for Sky?