• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1619 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
well, Thomas didn't beat small riders/teams when he won his big races. and, unlike Wiggo and Froome, he never needed lawyers.
I don't feel like I'm watching a competition between sportsmen when I see Geraint Thomas competing for GC at a Grand Tour, though. It'd be like watching Wayde van Niekerk or Allyson Felix winning marathons.

The secondary issue then becomes that if I can't suspend disbelief enough to believe I'm watching a competition, then all I have to watch it for is entertainment, and Geraint Thomas, at least on the bike, provides me with no entertainment. Most other people that I've spoken to that have expressed the same statement as you with regards not needing to have any trust in athletes that they're watching a legitimate competition have expressed that sentiment from the perspective of, as long as they're being entertained. As a result, though, this has usually been used to defend guys like, say, Vino or Supermán, whereas teams like Sky who exert tight control over racing and tend to be perceived as subtracting from the entertainment are not usually favoured by those people - making you very much an exception to the rule, which is why I questioned why you had become such a big fan of the team and rider.

Perhaps not small, but Sunweb was similar in budget to Ag2r.

WT in any case. and go figure, Thomas beat a rider who, like him, from a fast TT and allrounder, evolved to be a GT rider losing weight and beating the pure climbers. Oropa 2017 was a great moment for me as a Sky fan.

I don't feel like I'm watching a competition between sportsmen when I see Geraint Thomas competing for GC at a Grand Tour, though. It'd be like watching Wayde van Niekerk or Allyson Felix winning marathons.

The secondary issue then becomes that if I can't suspend disbelief enough to believe I'm watching a competition, then all I have to watch it for is entertainment, and Geraint Thomas, at least on the bike, provides me with no entertainment. Most other people that I've spoken to that have expressed the same statement as you with regards not needing to have any trust in athletes that they're watching a legitimate competition have expressed that sentiment from the perspective of, as long as they're being entertained. As a result, though, this has usually been used to defend guys like, say, Vino or Supermán, whereas teams like Sky who exert tight control over racing and tend to be perceived as subtracting from the entertainment are not usually favoured by those people - making you very much an exception to the rule, which is why I questioned why you had become such a big fan of the team and rider.

I became I big Sky fan because of its wild obsessed haters. Digger, Oufeh, Maximus etc on here and twitter. Florecita caling his son stupi child, many others with many examples. people obsessing about Froome's carbon chain catcher, about how he held a coffee cup, about his weight, about the stickers on his wheels. cheering when they missed to catch a bottle, cheering for a puncture, blaming "former Sky rider" when some rider did anything. so every success, every bottle, every gel, every bend, every win, every cheer, every anything good happening to Sky that could drove them mad was important (on here and twitter) for me. Porte, Porte was so hated, and Rowe. Porte's wins, Rowe leading them in echelons, contribuiting to Sky success and teeth grinding of the haters was great.
none of my friends, girl, family, know I'm a Sky fan. when I turn the tv/phone off, I'm normal ahah.
I never bought a Pinarello or had a Sky-tv subscription.
I cheered Sky because it was Froome's team. even if he didn't ride the race, I cheered his team mates. I wanted the Sky logo on the jerseys to be seen.
Thomas is the only one remaining from those years. he was presente in all the big wins, almost. he still wears that jersey, I need him to be there. when he retires I'll probably won't be that fan anymore.

Which has nothing to do with Wiggins TUE which was the proactive prevention of pollen exacerbating asthma before competition began, because the maximal dose for what he was using under WADA code was leaving him with side-effects and not optimal according to Freeman and the TUE medical notes.
The TUE system doesn't exist to not be used remember, but clearly sending a rider on their way when they just collapsed on a mountain from an Asthma attack isn't good medical practice. This had happened in 2009 at FdeJ iirc and they injected the rider at side of road and he carried on with an rTUE.
Alternate Reality Goggles

Lol, priceless

I became I big Sky fan because of its wild obsessed haters. Digger, Oufeh, Maximus etc on here and twitter. Florecita caling his son stupi child, many others with many examples. people obsessing about Froome's carbon chain catcher, about how he held a coffee cup, about his weight, about the stickers on his wheels. cheering when they missed to catch a bottle, cheering for a puncture, blaming "former Sky rider" when some rider did anything. so every success, every bottle, every gel, every bend, every win, every cheer, every anything good happening to Sky that could drove them mad was important (on here and twitter) for me. Porte, Porte was so hated, and Rowe. Porte's wins, Rowe leading them in echelons, contribuiting to Sky success and teeth grinding of the haters was great.
none of my friends, girl, family, know I'm a Sky fan. when I turn the tv/phone off, I'm normal ahah.
I never bought a Pinarello or had a Sky-tv subscription.
I cheered Sky because it was Froome's team. even if he didn't ride the race, I cheered his team mates. I wanted the Sky logo on the jerseys to be seen.
Thomas is the only one remaining from those years. he was presente in all the big wins, almost. he still wears that jersey, I need him to be there. when he retires I'll probably won't be that fan anymore.
Wow.

That seems like a pretty binary lens?

Wow.

That seems like a pretty binary lens?

yes it's mad. when Thomas will retire (the last original team Sky rider and now Brailsford and Ellingworth gone too) I'll get back to healthy cheering
also, the Sky obsession is gone now that they don't win anymore. Jumbo came and showed them how it's done. and go figure, the Sky obsessed people dressed as antidopers (ahahah) they're gone now. it was anyone but Sky.

Actual Reality, you can read the TUEs medical notes, his history, even Asthma UK Monthly in 2007 with Wiggins on the cover and why the TUE was applied for in advance, not as an rTUE which wouldn't be optimal Asthma management. You don't wait for allergies to trigger an attack and then inject like the old days.
lols...you mean they kept these medical notes...and....written by who...the banned doping doc...or the other banned doping doc? :D :) Sky and Sam...a match made in heaven...

lols...you mean they kept these medical notes...and....written by who...the banned doping doc...or the other banned doping doc? :D :) Sky and Sam...a match made in heaven...
You can read the abbreviated medical notes on each of his TUEs. You can talk to his ENT he works in NHS Bolton. Fancy Bears failed to release the full medical notes from the NHS - I wonder why they didn't want to attach the TUE notes to the leaked TUE? Mmmm.

Reactions: pastronef