• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1196 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JimmyFingers said:
Surely the train works because you burn riders up, get them to go max effort o x amount before peeling off and soft-pedalling to the top. Of that group today Contador beat Froome, Talansky beat Froome and I think even Hesjedal came around him at the end. So it a succession of measured efforts, which culminatively prevent other riders attacking.

I think Sky look poor, they were out-thunk by Saxo today, they were able to rest their doms, and Berite just surfed the Sky train and then took off.

Agree. The Sky train appears to work without thinking.
I think they may need to save Porte rather than use him in train. Froome needs someone else as today it showed they can't control everything.

You can see come Tour time Contador will sit on Froome and attack on downhills and other odd places to force Sky to burn themselves out.

Have to say they look a lot worse than Sky 2012. Perhaps Wiggo was a better team leader? :rolleyes:

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
I think they may need to save Porte rather than use him in train. Froome needs someone else as today it showed they can't control everything.

You can see come Tour time Contador will sit on Froome and attack on downhills and other odd places to force Sky to burn themselves out.

Have to say they look a lot worse than Sky 2012. Perhaps Wiggo was a better team leader? :rolleyes:

They miss Mick, he was captain on the road then.

thehog said:

In fact today they looked the best in all of this year. They don't have to think, they have only one card to play, Froome's watts. They burn out as much as possible everybody else and then Froome attacks. Except I think today Vroom was not at his best and they rode the high tempo on the final climb to prevent other attacks. What Sky and some people don't seem to understand is that Contador has stepped up to the alien level (on the mountains, TT remains to be seen although we have seen some signs in Pays Vasco and Dauphine). Maybe that De Jongh dude is working miracles, the scientific training, the coffee is better, I don't know but Bertie is going to TdF with 2nd Algarve, 1st TA, 2nd Catalunya, 1st Pays Vasco and (probably) 1st Dauphine.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:

Any crosswinds and Bertie will go full bore too. Froome said it in his book: he hates being attacked on the flat. Sky still haven't learnt that they can't control the race all of the time.

And Mick Rogers was the backbone of the 2012 team.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Sky's doms dropped nearly every other Team leader with the exception of 3 Bertie, Nibali, Talanksy.

2 of sky doms finished in top 20 today.

Hmmm, sky looked poor? Well then the other teams looked poverished.....

Not seeing Mick Rogers in the Sky train helps in two respects though. One is of course that seeing Mick Rogers in a Sky kit immediately added a seed of doubt because of his dubious history; they may as well have hired Yaroslav Popovych. And the other thing is that his not being there means that you can still have some hope that their simple bludgeoning tactic can be out-thought, Rogers had the experience to resolve all of that.

But trying to sell a team as clean while Mick Rogers taps out a tempo for long enough to make attacks by reigning champion Evans and GT winner and probable Ferrari client Nibali meaningless, that's a tough job.

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
BqHnl9PIMAA6s_O.jpg

Benotti69 said:
Sky's doms dropped nearly every other Team leader with the exception of 3 Bertie, Nibali, Talanksy.

2 of sky doms finished in top 20 today.

Hmmm, sky looked poor? Well then the other teams looked poverished.....

Agreed. I'm not sure what people expect. Even Porte was a one-and-done domestique after the first week last Tour. It was Froome helping Wiggins that made people think Sky needs to finish with the the doms ahead of everyone else. The rest of the team now looks at least more human.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
Agreed. I'm not sure what people expect. Even Porte was a one-and-done domestique after the first week last Tour. It was Froome helping Wiggins that made people think Sky needs to finish with the the doms ahead of everyone else. The rest of the team now looks at least more human.

How does a team having 4 doms at 5kms to go when other teams are on the rivet look more human?

They dont. They look positively USPS.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Am I correct in thinking it was *Brailsford* who said 'In clean cycling you'll no longer see trains on mountain finishes'?

*It may not have been Brailsford, but it was someone trying to sell clean cycling who said it.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Am I correct in thinking it was *Brailsford* who said 'In clean cycling you'll no longer see trains on mountain finishes'?

*It may not have been Brailsford, but it was someone trying to sell clean cycling who said it.

McQuaid.

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
hrotha said:
At least Nieve was already a very good climber before they signed him. He's one of the few examples to support the "they're rich so they signed THE BEST, of course they're going to be up there" argument.
Most of their non-Anglos (Nieve, Lopez, Kiry) has always been good, that's true.

I have the feeling that people, including those from English speaking countries, find their Anglo-bots more sterile than say Heano or EBH.

Benotti69 said:
How does a team having 4 doms at 5kms to go when other teams are on the rivet look more human?

They dont. They look positively USPS.

More human compared to Froome. That was my point. Sky only looked poor because we saw alien domestiquing from Froome in the past. Today, people saw the squad as a shade of that past and call them in poor form, when they are in fact still doing as Sky has always done: bending other teams over and reminding them who's boss (or at least who the boss's family works for).

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
TO be honest I don't think it means too much, necessarily, that Contador was "isolated", given it's the MTF now, and he can quite easily sit on Froome's wheel and receive all the potential watt savings drafting provides.

Better off letting your riders cruise up the climb and be a bit fresher tomorrow than make them hang around at top speed and not really offer all that much benefit. Sure a puncture could spell disaster, but other than that, I am failing to see their benefit.

Hilly stage again tomorrow, will be interesting to see if my theory holds, and Contador has more riders around him for the mountains and the finish.

TRENDING THREADS