• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1368 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

TheRedSon said:
I haven't found a picture of Froome from that ITT either. There is one from the U23 World Championship that year where he's running into the official. No clue if it's the same bike though.

Just ridiculous to me that anything about that event screams "the guy in 17th is amazing!" He's the highest placed out of the... Less industrialized nations, he was just 22 and he got to sit in the hot seat a long time, but he wasn't close to winning in the end, and it's not guys like Rogers had to show up to finally unseat him.

Yeah, there were no big names there. Day and O'Neil were very solid continental riders who might have gone a little further if they went to Europe but racing the NRC in the USA they were big fish in a small pond.

Wasn't Kudus also pretty great at l'Avenir, despite being a couple of years younger than the top riders?

The whole 'African riders lack coaching' thing is hogwash. Froome was mediocre before 2011. No amount of bigging up his extremely mediocre results is going to change that.

Re:

Saint Unix said:
Wasn't Kudus also pretty great at l'Avenir, despite being a couple of years younger than the top riders?

The whole 'African riders lack coaching' thing is hogwash. Froome was mediocre before 2011. No amount of bigging up his extremely mediocre results is going to change that.

Not sure about his l'Avenir results but Kudus only turned 21 in January :eek:

He's already finished on the podium at the Tour of Eritrea, African Champs - Elite, not U23, Vuelta Ciclista a Leon, Tour of Langkawi and 5th at Route du Sud.

Very promising

Edit: Kudus rode the 2013 l'Avenir, so he was 19.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Yeah, there were no big names there. Day and O'Neil were very solid continental riders who might have gone a little further if they went to Europe but racing the NRC in the USA they were big fish in a small pond.

think Day rode for the Portuguese team that has the zebra kit, in about 05, in about 03, think Day got two top 10s in Vuelta chronos or (one may have been a prologue) for Ceramiche Panaria, which is that green kit team now in Italy, and had had lots of busted Italians on it. That little gc grimpeur is the last one of note, might have podiumed in the giro, he was lighting up races on general classification. and the zebra kit IS NOT the Roberto Cavalli Cipo kit at Aqua Sapone, two different teams.

they were/are solid riders. as you say. but nothing more. dont think Papp likes Oneil tho

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Saint Unix said:

re: Froome, that aint correct. He had a great debut in the Tour de France with John Robertson's Barloworld.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

blackcat said:
Saint Unix said:

re: Froome, that aint correct. He had a great debut in the Tour de France with John Robertson's Barloworld.

Not as good as Augustyn.

blackcat said:
Saint Unix said:

Yeah. Finishing 83rd overall, behind climbing greats such as Oscar Freire, Murilo Fischer and Filippo Pozatto. Definitely the mark of one of the best cyclists of all time.

One who did have a great debut in the Tour that year was Vincenzo Nibali. 19th overall, even after riding the Giro where he finished 11th.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Beech Mtn said:
You bust your ass on a bike for three whole weeks, and at the end, as a "reward" you are expected to party with LRP? That's just sad. :(

can I quote and plagiarise, i would like to use as my sig.

best ever line on cyclingnews

Re: Sky

Got chatting with a photographer on top of the Alpe on Saturday. We got chatting about the Tour and then onto Sky.

My mates are blinkered Sky fans so I was expecting the same from this bloke (He was a Brit). He wasnt as nailed on as I was re Sky doping but like most fans he wanted answers.

He then told us that there were rumours around the press that Sky were on this Chinese weight loss drug big style.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Sky

MartinGT said:
Got chatting with a photographer on top of the Alpe on Saturday. We got chatting about the Tour and then onto Sky.

My mates are blinkered Sky fans so I was expecting the same from this bloke (He was a Brit). He wasnt as nailed on as I was re Sky doping but like most fans he wanted answers.

He then told us that there were rumours around the press that Sky were on this Chinese weight loss drug big style.

North Korean, actually: PRK tools.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Saint Unix said:
blackcat said:
Saint Unix said:

Yeah. Finishing 83rd overall, behind climbing greats such as Oscar Freire, Murilo Fischer and Filippo Pozatto. Definitely the mark of one of the best cyclists of all time.

One who did have a great debut in the Tour that year was Vincenzo Nibali. 19th overall, even after riding the Giro where he finished 11th.
His overall position wasn't great however he showed promise in the mountains and the TT. Next year's giro he finished 31st with some strong performances in the mountains.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

42x16ss said:
gazr99 said:
42x16ss said:
gazr99 said:
LOL when I have I ever said that. You should be a journalist getting about taking 20% of what someone says and turn it into something. These are great "facts" though :rolleyes:

I talked about Froome in 2006 not 2010 when he represented Kenya, in as those who were there described very basic equipment especially compared to many of his competitors. Never said Africans can't become good, said he hasn't been nurtured and had elite coaching since he was a junior like many of the peleton, that didn't start until his 20's and arguably when he joined Sky, he had truly elite coaching/support system. The other two I just never said

Let's see:

gazr99 said:
Sure fine yeah you must be right, I won't bring up that he had no elite coaching/infrastructure until 2010 and was irritating Team Sky by the fact they could see the talent and data to say he is great rider but he would be very inconsistent, which they found out in 2011 was due to a bacterial infection.

Ignoring the UCI WT Academy and the Barloworld set up.

About the talented young riders coming up in MTN Qhubeka:

gazr99 said:
Talented riders like the ones you mentioned are going to be spotted as Froome was, doesn't mean they were fulfilling their potential. How many of them were junior champions and on the Tour de L'Avenir while based in Africa, a continent which is not historically known for putting money into cycling

To which I pointed out that Teklehaimanot was 6th at l'Avenir and Elite African champ in all 3 disciplines despite being an U23 before moving to Europe. Berhane was African champ at 20 and won the Tours of Eritrea, Rwanda, La Tropical Amissa Bongo before joining Europcar and winning the overall at the Tour of Turkey as soon as he moved to Europe.

Don't you love search functions?

I love that almost all of your examples have been since Froome turned pro. 6 months at the UCI training centre and whilst Barloworld were obviously a pro team others have also pointed out its unclear on how they nurtured and coached the younger riders. So one rider since Froome turned pro, was successful at the Tour de L'Avenir, that proves Africa are renowned for putting money into cycling doesn't it

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Saint Unix said:
blackcat said:
Saint Unix said:

it was the two chronos and the queen stage. I have made numerous posts on this stage, and his results.

and everyone is doping, and a few are on the weightloss peptides, but this course of lipotropin, GW1516, Aicar, and the old stuff like hgh and cortisone managed to strip about 6-7 kg.
so he reskulpted his physique to a super performance athlete, and some transfusions you will be supercharged, as a phenomenal rider now.

This is a tall climber looking good:

bettiniphoto_0152704_1_full_490.jpg

Tommy79 said:
Saint Unix said:
Over the famine victim/AIDS sufferer look that Froome is sporting? Yes I do.

That's what tall climbers look like. Not sure what your point it.

zimmerman...fell apart (as you would)
Riis '96...eh...yes well (and he was a bit fatter)
Rasmussen...eh...yes well

that leaves two well know tall time-triallists..sorry climbers :)

Wiggins
Froome

mmmm...I wonder..........

May 26, 2010
Visit site
True?

Phil White ‏@Thundergusset 15 hours ago

Has anyone else noticed Froome/Sky only do well at ASO controlled events? Money making conspiracy? Yes.

It would appear to be the case that Sky do very well at ASO events. La Veulta was partially owned by ASO in '11 and now fully owned.

Remember Brailsford talked about making a presentation to ASO in June 2012......ASO have aligned themselves with Murdoch?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

blackcat said:
Beech Mtn said:
You bust your ass on a bike for three whole weeks, and at the end, as a "reward" you are expected to party with LRP? That's just sad. :(

can I quote and plagiarise, i would like to use as my sig.

best ever line on cyclingnews

go fer it. grazie. LRP must be given his due.

gazr99 said:
42x16ss said:
gazr99 said:
42x16ss said:
gazr99 said:
LOL when I have I ever said that. You should be a journalist getting about taking 20% of what someone says and turn it into something. These are great "facts" though :rolleyes:

I talked about Froome in 2006 not 2010 when he represented Kenya, in as those who were there described very basic equipment especially compared to many of his competitors. Never said Africans can't become good, said he hasn't been nurtured and had elite coaching since he was a junior like many of the peleton, that didn't start until his 20's and arguably when he joined Sky, he had truly elite coaching/support system. The other two I just never said

Let's see:

gazr99 said:
Sure fine yeah you must be right, I won't bring up that he had no elite coaching/infrastructure until 2010 and was irritating Team Sky by the fact they could see the talent and data to say he is great rider but he would be very inconsistent, which they found out in 2011 was due to a bacterial infection.

Ignoring the UCI WT Academy and the Barloworld set up.

About the talented young riders coming up in MTN Qhubeka:

gazr99 said:
Talented riders like the ones you mentioned are going to be spotted as Froome was, doesn't mean they were fulfilling their potential. How many of them were junior champions and on the Tour de L'Avenir while based in Africa, a continent which is not historically known for putting money into cycling

To which I pointed out that Teklehaimanot was 6th at l'Avenir and Elite African champ in all 3 disciplines despite being an U23 before moving to Europe. Berhane was African champ at 20 and won the Tours of Eritrea, Rwanda, La Tropical Amissa Bongo before joining Europcar and winning the overall at the Tour of Turkey as soon as he moved to Europe.

Don't you love search functions?

I love that almost all of your examples have been since Froome turned pro. 6 months at the UCI training centre and whilst Barloworld were obviously a pro team others have also pointed out its unclear on how they nurtured and coached the younger riders. So one rider since Froome turned pro, was successful at the Tour de L'Avenir, that proves Africa are renowned for putting money into cycling doesn't it
Excuse me? You were the one who was making out that Froome has succeeded in spite of incredible adversity. All I did was point out some other riders who have succeeded despite even more disadvantaged backgrounds.

You said it didn't count if they didn't show success as junior/U23 ranks, I showed that Teklehaimanot, Kudus and Berhane were all quite good at U23 level, certainly better than Froome.

What more do you want? It's not my fault if you don't like where this is heading :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS