• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1556 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Sky

Puckfiend said:
Well, I give Sky this:

Full speed ahead and damn the perceptions.

Was it Froome thats once said "winning proves we're clean" or was it DB.. I dont remember.

But the point was painfully clear.

WE DONT DOPE. So if we win it is because we are superior...... even to dopers.....

Indeed. It's a bit like Trump and the Russian interference allegation. Everyone who realises Trump is a *** wants the Russia thing to be true. Hilary is waiting in the wings. She's a *** too. Trump and Hilary aren't the problem, they are the symptom. They are just playing the game.

As it is with Sky.

Re: Sky

rick james said:
Salvarani said:
rick james said:
Salvarani said:
I hate this team. Test the whole bunch. Turn that team inside out.

Why? Just because you don’t like them?

Such a tolerant world we live in now a days

I dont like what they stand for or how they operate.
so what would you prefer?

That the team folds and the riders get split up into other teams. :rolleyes:

Or at least that Froome get the ban of what he deserve. UCI sets a salary cap.

Re:

macbindle said:

Ca't help agreeing Wigans here:
He suggested cycling would benefit from a salary cap to lower barriers to entry, again making a barbed reference to Team Sky. “Something has got to happen,” he said. “Sky are running away with it. With the office blocks they bring with them [to races], it’s difficult to compete, isn’t it? Whether that helps performance or not, I don’t know. Going forward something has to change to even it out a bit.”

Re: Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
macbindle said:

He suggested cycling would benefit from a salary cap to lower barriers to entry, again making a barbed reference to Team Sky. “Something has got to happen,” he said. “Sky are running away with it. With the office blocks they bring with them [to races], it’s difficult to compete, isn’t it? Whether that helps performance or not, I don’t know. Going forward something has to change to even it out a bit.”
The Number 1 ranked teams in the World Tour since Wiggins won the Tour

2013 Movistar
2014 Movistar
2015 Movistar
2016 Movistar
2017 Sky

Total Sky dominance

Parker said:
TourOfSardinia said:
macbindle said:

The Number 1 ranked teams in the World Tour since Wiggins won the Tour

2013 Movistar
2014 Movistar
2015 Movistar
2016 Movistar
2017 Sky

Total Sky dominance
Parker contradicts Wiggo - and we should care?

I thought it was a decent article and a lot of it I agreed with Wiggins.

You can see he is bitter with what happened with Jiffygate. He wasnt shouting about these changes when he was in the cicrle getting cheques thrown at him left right and centre though.

I would have liked to see Josh Edmonson have the opportunity to have gone to a Wiggins team though. Rather than straight to Sky. I just hope what Wiggins is saying about how he wants the team to be run and for is true.

I honestly doubt Wiggo cares about the doping process. If you are a GC rider, doing drugs is as common as brushing your teeth.

I think he is talking about the sterile aesthetics of Team Sky. Froome's superiority in the Grand Tours and MTFs is not pleasant to watch for the spectators and cycling nerds. They want to mythic battles between equal opponents and teams.

Most people want to root for the "little guy" or the rider with flaws. It's more authentic. That is why Contador went from being hated to being a fan favorite and iconic figure. By not winning too much, you win people's hearts.

And I think Sky know that. Froome's Tour/Vuelta-double was actually a more toned-down version of him. There will not be another Ax3 Domaines or Col de la Pierre St Martin.

LaFlorecita said:
pastronef said:
LaFlorecita said:
pastronef said:
LaFlorecita said:
Wisniowski? Big jump in performance

and I am loving it

eheheh ;)
today 8th
2 years ago 5th with Quick-Step

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/kuurne-brussel-kuurne/2016

Yesterday 2nd

I loved that too :)
I thought so ;)

Going by your avatar you are probably good at spotting dopers :D

It's a mark of how cynical the sport and it's spectators have become that Froome's attack on Ventoux is not regarded as panache.

Parker said:
I just posted some facts.
I guess Wiggins is referring more to Sky's Tour de France dominance also combined with the Team performance the rest of the season too.
If we look back to Armstrong's Tour dominance, US Postal Team in terms of UCI World ranking were really very poor each year barely scraping into the top 10 teams most years, unlike Sky who float around top 3 with Movistar and Quickstep who all have incredible depth to their riders throughout the season.
Depends what ranking system you use of course for the current day. The CQ ranking tends to favour teams with more all-round depth like Quickstep & and UCI ranking tends to favour the more Grand Tour focused teams like Sky & Movistar. Sky are certainly not running away with it though, it's often very very close each year who emerges ontop.
If we take UCI's rankings, Sky have only topped it in 2012 and 2017. Movistar or Quickstep generally pip them on points by a little. Valverde's long season probably just about makes the different for Movistar in both CQ or UCI rankings.