• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1578 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Ripper said:
hrotha said:
Pantani Attacks said:
When will the Bernal separate thread be opened?
Go start one if you want. Me, I wish people would stop conflating "super talented riders that Sky buys as domestiques" like Bernal with "GT contenders that Sky manufactures out of thin air" like Froome and Thomas.
They really need a like button on this forum

How long to the switcheroo when Dave takes Bernal aside and asks him to work for Tao!

I really haven't been watching the Tour, mainly because I'm not feeling that interested and then also because I no longer can find a free online feed and I'm not interested enough to pay to watch cycling.

I've checked the news the past few days. Thomas winning on Alpe d'Huez?! C'mon now...this guy used to be a Classics racer, now he's winning there? Man, if it was kinda easy to be cynical in the past, Sky is just simply outrageous. Good lord.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re: NIBALI

nayr497 said:
I really haven't been watching the Tour, mainly because I'm not feeling that interested and then also because I no longer can find a free online feed and I'm not interested enough to pay to watch cycling.

I've checked the news the past few days. Thomas winning on Alpe d'Huez?! C'mon now...this guy used to be a Classics racer, now he's winning there? Man, if it was kinda easy to be cynical in the past, Sky is just simply outrageous. Good lord.
Merckx index said:
GraftPunk said:
The gamesmanship at the end definitely skewed the time, so I'm not confident it can be compared to former editions.

I think there were some wasted seconds at the end, but hard to determine how much. The real time race log says they initially waited for Nibs following his crash, but apparently it was very brief, with Bardet not wanting to wait. Also, the time to go the next 500 m was about 1:30, in line with what they had been doing before (3 min per km, about what they averaged the whole way). So they couldn't have waited very long. At one point it says Nibs was 30 seconds down, then it says Nibs was 50 seconds down with 1 km to go. Surely there's no way he could have gained 30-35 seconds in the last km? Unless they were really dicking around?

In any case, I think a max of 30 seconds lost at the end, so maybe it could have been 40:45. The point about this being a different stage is valid, though Froome was much closer to his 2013 and 2015 times--maybe almost exactly the same if you allow 30 seconds wasted--than Quintana was.

i believed they were not aware NIBALI did fall cause at that time FROOM did attack? if he did know that will be so rude and unprofessional? remember the SKY team must win at any price, FROOM must win but he has THOMAS in case FROOM has a bad day but I am very very disappointed the way the SKY team ride unprofessional that why they are not welcome in FRANCE

So I was reading this piece by Neal Rogers on Cyclingtips, https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/today-at-the-tour-the-question-of-geraint-thomas/#comment-4000148410, and I was reading some of the comments at the bottom of the page. This one caught my eye - "Other teams are not as driven and focused" as Sky. It's not the first time I have seen this sort of comment of late, so it is not so much that particular poster as this trend that folks are actually getting back into that load of BS. Sky is more focused, drive, trains harder, has better tactics, it's not about $$ or doping ;)

Re:

ebandit said:
...not all BS team sky are a little more focused riding with single minded dedication for team leader

no thought of team competition......................rarely in breaks seeking stage win etc

team sky would not have a rider like landa complaining about having to pull at the front

Mark L

LOL. Sky actually had Landa. Sky is not the only team with focus. It is the only team with a wacko high budget. So if you use a multiplier of team focus x budget = results, then you're getting somewhere. But other teams can have the same or even more focus, but with 1/3 the budget, it does not matter much :)

Re:

Ripper said:
So I was reading this piece by Neal Rogers on Cyclingtips, https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/today-at-the-tour-the-question-of-geraint-thomas/#comment-4000148410, and I was reading some of the comments at the bottom of the page. This one caught my eye - "Other teams are not as driven and focused" as Sky. It's not the first time I have seen this sort of comment of late, so it is not so much that particular poster as this trend that folks are actually getting back into that load of BS. Sky is more focused, drive, trains harder, has better tactics, it's not about $$ or doping ;)
US Postal and Lance BS all over again.

thehog said:
Bolder said:
You could retitle this thread "USPS" and set the wayback machine for 2003.

The Sky dominance will not last forever. Even USPS eventually imploded. What's interesting is seeing what will bring down the team, whether it will be something on the road, sponsorship, or scandal.

This Sky team is stronger than USPS ever was. Much stronger and this year with a dual attack force, something USPS never would have gone with at the Tour.
Lance would have flushed Thomas blood down the toilet by now!! :D

thehog said:
Bolder said:
You could retitle this thread "USPS" and set the wayback machine for 2003.

The Sky dominance will not last forever. Even USPS eventually imploded. What's interesting is seeing what will bring down the team, whether it will be something on the road, sponsorship, or scandal.

This Sky team is stronger than USPS ever was. Much stronger and this year with a dual attack force, something USPS never would have gone with at the Tour.

Lance could never tolerate someone else on his team possibly winning. As soon as anyone started to aspire to be more than a helper and leave, sanctions followed.

No doubt Verbruggen and ASO would have permitted it. Lance's performances were ridiculous. Two would have been more of a good thing.

Team Sky seems to be built on two principles:

1. British leaders who use medication with doctor's prescription for diseases they don't have.
2. Talented riders from other countries who have to sacrifice themselves. Like Faust they have sold their soul to the biggest bidder instead of being a leader for another team.

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site

Mamil said:
Singer01 said:
Based on past performance there is a 15% chance he doesn't finish, in addition his two biggest rivals are both excellent TT riders so he doesn't have that a cushion like he often has. So i'd say there is a decent chance he doesn't win (25-33

Fair enough. I've already said that crashes remain a constant possibility, so excluding that you're giving him a 10-18% chance of not winning. Personally I think it's much lower - probably 5% at best. I think it's almost inevitable, and I believe that history, Froome's apparent form and the position and state of his rivals substantiate that, hence why I consider it predictable. But I accept that this is subjective, and others may read it differently.

Gonna put my hand up and admit I was wrong - seems even Froome can't do the Giro-Tour double. In a sense, even though he probably won't win either of them, Dumoulin looks like getting closer, which of course is also eyebrow-raising. Sky were sensible though in giving Thomas the A-grade prep too this year.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Team Sky seems to be built on two principles:

1. British leaders who use medication with doctor's prescription for diseases they don't have.
2. Talented riders from other countries who have to sacrifice themselves. Like Faust they have sold their soul to the biggest bidder instead of being a leader for another team.
e.g Colombia v. Colombia = Anglo Win (Colonialism revisted)

Mamil said:
Mamil said:
Singer01 said:
Based on past performance there is a 15% chance he doesn't finish, in addition his two biggest rivals are both excellent TT riders so he doesn't have that a cushion like he often has. So i'd say there is a decent chance he doesn't win (25-33

Fair enough. I've already said that crashes remain a constant possibility, so excluding that you're giving him a 10-18% chance of not winning. Personally I think it's much lower - probably 5% at best. I think it's almost inevitable, and I believe that history, Froome's apparent form and the position and state of his rivals substantiate that, hence why I consider it predictable. But I accept that this is subjective, and others may read it differently.

Gonna put my hand up and admit I was wrong - seems even Froome can't do the Giro-Tour double. In a sense, even though he probably won't win either of them, Dumoulin looks like getting closer, which of course is also eyebrow-raising. Sky were sensible though in giving Thomas the A-grade prep too this year.
G got the extra-fluffy pillows, this time.

Re:

thehog said:
The Hitch said:
He may be just about at the limit of whats believable atm.

But, why do you think he was a good climber. At the tour when he got the white jersey in 2010 and said he wanted to defend it as long as possible yet lost it on the Station des Rousses stages where he bombed 4 minutes even though the stage was soft pedalled and not even that hard.

It will only get worse.

Thomas will climb better at the Tour.

GT is a better choice than Froome for the next Sky GT champion.

I think they need to give him the full program next year. And let him win the Tour.

Forget the Classics.

Wiggins is gone. Ship the Dawg off to BMC, Thomas for the Tour.
Congratulations Hog. That was 2013, this is 2018, 5 years later. Now would Froome go to CCC (BMC is gone :p ). :D

Escarabajo said:
thehog said:
The Hitch said:
He may be just about at the limit of whats believable atm.

But, why do you think he was a good climber. At the tour when he got the white jersey in 2010 and said he wanted to defend it as long as possible yet lost it on the Station des Rousses stages where he bombed 4 minutes even though the stage was soft pedalled and not even that hard.

It will only get worse.

Thomas will climb better at the Tour.

GT is a better choice than Froome for the next Sky GT champion.

I think they need to give him the full program next year. And let him win the Tour.

Forget the Classics.

Wiggins is gone. Ship the Dawg off to BMC, Thomas for the Tour.
Congratulations Hog. That was 2013, this is 2018, 5 years later. Now would Froome go to CCC (BMC is gone :p ). :D

Holy ***, these couple of pages are absolutely hilarious. Thehog usually spams these ridiculous prophecies like no tomorrow but he somehow hit the jackpot on this track cyclist.

I wonder if Sky will ever let the best riders on the team win a grand tour. I bet Bernal and Poels could be #1 & #2 (right now), if they had British blood. My guess is that Bernal is a bit too brown for the home crowd.

TRENDING THREADS