• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Was Roche 5-star in '87? He'd won Romandie and the Giro, (and nearly Paris Nice and Liege) but a GT double was always going to be a tough ask. With no Hinault or Lemond it was an open field.
I think the perception depends on the coverage. Roche was a 5 star contender according to the English media, but Delgado, Bernard, and Fignon were considered pretty much equal with him going into the Tour. Hell I remember the coverage when it was happening.

I think the perception depends on the coverage. Roche was a 5 star contender according to the English media, but Delgado, Bernard, and Fignon were considered pretty much equal with him going into the Tour. Hell I remember the coverage when it was happening.
Yeah, Roche's win was my first exposure to pro cycling, and I remember that the Irish media only even started talking about it when he was in yellow close to the end of the race.

This thread is supposed to be about Team Jumbo Visma. What jersey was Roglic wearing today, it wasn't the regular TJV jersey, but WvA should have been wearing the leader's jersey..?

Not sure what would be wrong with sticking a J-V logo across the front of this;
roglic-slovnia-banner.jpg

Was Roche 5-star in '87? He'd won Romandie and the Giro, (and nearly Paris Nice and Liege) but a GT double was always going to be a tough ask. With no Hinault or Lemond it was an open field.
Before 1987 Delgado was a rider with Purito-level ITT who always got to the mountains 7-8 minutes behind the allrounder GC contenders. Roche was the allrounder.

Not sure what would be wrong with sticking a J-V logo across the front of this;
roglic-slovnia-banner.jpg
All Slovenian champion jerseys I recall had the flag colours (white, blue and red). I may be wrong but that looks like a derivative of their national team colours, as if the Italian champion got a blue jersey or the Dutch champion got an orange jersey instead of a jersey with their country flag colours.
Nevertheless, the point that Eurosport commentators were rightly discussing during the stage broadcast is the problem of the mostly yellow jersey of TJV, mainly as seen on hellicopter shots. Team ONCE was requested to change their regular yellow jersey colour at the Tour during the 90s. In their later years they added logos of their second sponsor and the amount of yellow decreased, so they were allowed to use their regular jersey. TJV should either add more black, use a bigger logo or change yellow to something else.

They used use a white kit with a flag band like other nations this seems to be a new thing.
Also I think we might see a special JV kit for TDF
The white kit with the flag could be mistaken with the Russian one, unless you pay close attention to the coat of arms, which can be hard to see in long shots during a race. That was the 'explanation' for the design of Roglic's kit.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The Slovenian Champions' jersey has never really settled on a design.

Astana gave us two very different ones:
borut-champ-920.jpg

Bozic_Borut_TDF12_st6-1.jpg

Lampre went with a tricolore back in the early 2010s, but a few years later regressed to the sub-Movistar approach:
Bole_Grega_TDF11_st13-1.jpg

i3aqSToRdqSkppVy6SXRE4-592-80.jpg

(still, it's better than their first attempt when they gave Bole what was actually a Dutch national champion's jersey. It was later replaced by this much better one):
Vy7tLSc2MGY2suefBnTVg8.jpg

But Bahrain-Merida went with the Russian style jersey mentioned:
DhgrFSYX0AIlXr-.jpg

While Mitchelton went for the Movistar.
Scott-Foil-Disc_aero-disc-brake-road-bike_Slovenian-National-Champion-Luka-Mezgec_photo-by-Christophe-Margot.jpg

Dumoulin doesn't like being a train driver;

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/du...MXvrhYalCOaK-V8X8STg_m_yC09kLOZhyT1ZcfPuZ-MMk

So they're definitely working for Primoz, but it sounds like Tom doesn't want to throw away his chances just yet.
Understandable, I guess, but he's likely too far off the pace, IMO.

Buchmann shows up in his first post-lockdown race and is killing it. Dumo isn't close to guys like him at the moment.

A lot of wishful thinking on his part (in the article).

• Wow
Valve Pithy has never particularly been a fan to say the least. ;)

Dumoulin looks just fine to me as well.
lol I like and understand him better now. I made the call before stage 4, though. A lot can change in 2 race days. He just didn't seem to have the legs.

Looks like Buchmann is out of the Tour, or at least not fit enough to compete for the podium. Roglic probably still is the man to beat. Bernal I'm not sure of. So Bernal, Pogacar, Pinot and Dumo to compete for the podium? Sivakov maybe? I dunno. Yeah, it looks like he's up there. Batsh!t crazy Dauphiné, though.

No Kruisjwijk in their pre-Tour high altitude camp in Tignes. Rogla will be there, but he's of course pretty banged up. Van Aert (Belgian Nationals ITT) and Martin (rest) were never scheduled to go.

translation:

With how strong Bennett and Kuss are, not sure Kruijswijk is that important in the Tour squad. Dumoulin 5% better is more important than Kruijswijk or not. Kruijswijk doesn't add winning probabilities, and in the case of having to ride as a domestique, a top Dumoulin is a way bigger engine on <8% gradients.

With how strong Bennett and Kuss are, not sure Kruijswijk is that important in the Tour squad. Dumoulin 5% better is more important than Kruijswijk or not. Kruijswijk doesn't add winning probabilities, and in the case of having to ride as a domestique, a top Dumoulin is a way bigger engine on <8% gradients.
If Roglic/Dumoulin aren't the strongest of the pack, but say Bernal is, you need all the power to derail the supposed Ineos train and attack them Movistar style. It doesn't look like that at the moment, but past Tours it was like that. The more riders they have high in GC, the better.

TRENDING THREADS