• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I reckoned they were saving themselves to go 100% for GC when they didn't try to pull back a weak break in the Ézaro stage, a finish that suited them well. Which is fine of course. But now they decide to burn their team for an-over-the-hill-Moreno?! Makes very little sense to me.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Miburo said:
Another classic movistar fail, how dumb can you be?
21/22 teams failed today. Why blame Movistar specifically? As opposed to the majority of the teams in the race, Movistar actually made a move for the stage win today. Was it the best strategy? Perhaps not, but atleast they tried something and I actually think that it's nice that they give some other of their riders the chance to go for stage win instead of setting it all up for Valverde every single time, in which case they would probably be hated on for riding too boring.

What did Moreno do this year?

Who won the sprint of the peloton?

I respect your opinions, so i'm shocked you defend this

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Really shaky, the only possible explanation would be Valverde telling Moreno just to go since he didn't feel he had it today. No matter what their best opportunity to win was all-in for Valverde since Moreno isn't what he used to be.
It looks like that's what he did:

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/21779-vuelta-a-espana-no-pudimos-rematar-la-etapa-que-era-lo-que-queriamos-pero-vamos-por-buen-camino-nairo-quintana.html

Al final no se ha podido ganar, pero se ha intentado. Hemos tirado mucho y al final los líderes hemos quedado un poco solos, algo lógico por el desgaste. La idea era intentarlo conmigo, pero cuando se ha puesto a tirar Dani a falta de 5 km le he dicho que fuera por Frank directamente, buscando probar suerte. Con sólo él para llevar el mando hasta el final no nos la podíamos jugar. Le he mandado por delante pero Yates ha sido más fuerte

Flamin said:
Escarabajo said:
Why not bash Sky or Tinkoff for failing?

Sounds like we want to bash Movistar because Valverde is supposed to win every stage with a hill at the end. Now that's a stretch.

Sky and Tinkoff didn't fail. They're here for gc thus don't burn their team for a half-arsed attempt at a stage win.

Was Tinkoff not at the front at times today? They were but I don't remember for how long. Sky has been doing plenty of riding in the wind this week as well.

spiritualride said:
Flamin said:
Escarabajo said:

Sounds like we want to bash Movistar because Valverde is supposed to win every stage with a hill at the end. Now that's a stretch.

Sky and Tinkoff didn't fail. They're here for gc thus don't burn their team for a half-arsed attempt at a stage win.

Was Tinkoff not at the front at times today? They were but I don't remember for how long. Sky has been doing plenty of riding in the wind this week as well.

Tinkoff was at the front very briefly. Sky, when? Didn't see them burning any energy besides when protecting Froome.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Flamin said:
Escarabajo said:

And Movistar isn't here for the GC?! :surprised: They tried, it was a decent shot, but Dani lacked a little bit...

Mr.White said:
Flamin said:
Escarabajo said:

And Movistar isn't here for the GC?! :surprised: They tried, it was a decent shot, but Dani lacked a little bit...

Of course, but yesterday was a stage Valverde thought he could get, however Movistar burnt themselves out and failed. Sending Moreno up the road was the right thing to do when they were down on numbers, but Yates was just stronger and nobody else wanted to chase the attackers down and gift Valverde the bonus seconds. That would have been foolish from Sky and Tinkoff so In the end it was a wasted effort by Movistar.

Mr.White said:
Flamin said:
Escarabajo said:

They are, but not for Moreno, right?

One of the striking moments in today's stage: after the turn of Ruben Fernandez, where was Moreno? Valverde went to the front ( perhaps wondering the same thing) and the pace in the group decreased immediately, allowing the comeback of Froome. Moreno is riding his own race?

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Moviestar said:
One of the striking moments in today's stage: after the turn of Ruben Fernandez, where was Moreno? Valverde went to the front ( perhaps wondering the same thing) and the pace in the group decreased immediately, allowing the comeback of Froome. Moreno is riding his own race?

I think that's maybe done on purpose. They waited for Froome to make a move. Although Dani dropped down a little when Ruben drove the pace. No way Moreno is doing his own race

Mr.White said:
Moviestar said:

I think that's maybe done on purpose. They waited for Froome to make a move. Although Dani dropped down a little when Ruben drove the pace. No way Moreno is doing his own race

Froome was dropped already. With Moreno setting the pace high, Froome could have lost more time but they allowed him to come back.

Dani Moreno was used more or less exclusively to win the team GC in TdF. I could somewhat understand that since Nairo wasn't going well and Don Ale was coming off a hard Giro.

This time around tho, it makes no sense. I have no clue to why he didn't pushed the pace today when Ruben was done.

Re:

Moviestar said:
Could be a clean sweep for Movistar at the end of the Vuelta. Quintana currently leads in the GC and Combine and is fourth in the mountain classification.Valverde has the green jersey. They also lead in the teamclassification.

Relative to their competition, they are probably even stronger than Sky was in TdF. At least the same level. I must admit I really didn't expect that considering Valverde, Moreno and Quintana had done the Tour.

Malori is back to racing. Really good news, hoping for him to find his old level.

On Monday Movistar will announce that they continue as sponsor for at least 3 years.

They have the intention to prolonge the contracts of Quintana and Valverde with three more years. The contract of Quintana expires at the end of 2017. The budget (now around 15 M) will also increase to build a strong foundation around Quintana and to sign young talents, like they recently did with Marc Soler.

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/noticias/deportes/ciclismo-vuelta-espana-quintana-renovacion-movistar-5368461

I couldn't really imagine Quintana on any other team - as long as Movistar continues, I see him continue. Only Spanish team in the WT, seems to get along nicely with many of the riders (Erviti, Castro etc.), have a few Colombians as well and when Valverde's role diminishes, its all for Quintana (that transition is already happening).

With Soler and Fernandez evolving as well as some others, Movistar is really a force to be reckened with, also in the future. Its the team who gets the most results out of their budget year in, year out (mainly from Quintana and Valverde 13-16 who have been top-10 in the rankings consistently I think).

Re:

lenric said:
They can win the TDF for the next 3 years with Quintana, even do the double, but they have yet to face the biggest challenge of today's cycling: Betancur to ride at his best. :p
They can win it the next 5 years as well, its just not very likely and there is just one obstacle; Froominator. Im of the belief that Froome was on his peak of his powers in 2013 and even a 2009 Contador couldn't beat him, but I don't see him declining much either tbf. If Quintana can do what he has done in 2016 in the Tour, he will have good chances next year. Whatever fcked his prep can't happen again - he has clearly been extremely good throughout and at least half a level above what he did in 2013'-2015, just not in the by far biggest race and objective.

TRENDING THREADS