• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Moviestar said:
AlexNYC said:
Mayomaniac said:
Kinda suprised by the fact that they aren't saving Bennati for the Tour where you really need a strong rider like him who has a ton of experience when it comes to crosswinds.

Ditto. He's kind of wasted at the Giro, where crosswinds are not all that usual. Maybe they think that crosswinds could play a bigger than usual role this year with the early stages in Sardinia and Sicily. Movistar might also be planning to have him abandon before the last week, thus keeping him fresh for the Tour.

He is a very experienced rider, who knows the Italian roads very well. His job will be mainly to keep Nairo safe at the front (like he did years for Contador), Nairo couldn't have asked for a better rider.

I think you missed my point entirely. He is very valuable, no doubt, but he would be even more valuable in the Tour since his skills would presumably be more in demand there.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
So speculating on the TdF team after the selection:

Quintana
Valverde
Fernandez
Castro
Moreno
Erviti
Olivera
Jesus Herrada
and.... Dowsett/Bennati/Rojas/Sutherland/Amador. Maybe Soler.

Sütterlin.
Has developed into a strong rouleur, not selected for the Giro and with the german depart I would consider him to be a safe spot. Was wondering if he would go to the Giro or if Movistar would have enough confidence for him to go to the TDF. Really hope he will be selected.

WKA311 said:
Valv.Piti said:
So speculating on the TdF team after the selection:

Quintana
Valverde
Fernandez
Castro
Moreno
Erviti
Olivera
Jesus Herrada
and.... Dowsett/Bennati/Rojas/Sutherland/Amador. Maybe Soler.

Sütterlin.
Has developed into a strong rouleur, not selected for the Giro and with the german depart I would consider him to be a safe spot. Was wondering if he would go to the Giro or if Movistar would have enough confidence for him to go to the TDF. Really hope he will be selected.
Maybe, but the rouleur spots are very crowded, for the TdF Erviti, Sutterlin, Oliveira, Dowsett and Bennati are in play. And Jesus Herrada and Castro can also be considered rouleurs.

Stoneface spoke very highly of Dowsett and said he expected him to be at the Tour. That would complicate things even further for Sutterlin (as much as I like him, he has done a very good job in the races he has raced IMO).

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Quintana is really limited in these windy stages. He was very well positioned but still wasn't able to stay with the front group. He only can limit losses by staying in the largest group and hoping that peloton don't brake in pieces (a little bit like lyon 2013)

Re:

portugal11 said:
Quintana is really limited in these windy stages. He was very well positioned but still wasn't able to stay with the front group. He only can limit losses by staying in the largest group and hoping that peloton don't brake in pieces (a little bit like lyon 2013)
Ehm... thats really stating the obvious. He should always only be looking to defend himself in these situations.
Quintana is, I'd say, very good in crosswinds compared to his stature.

Very good 3 opening days, very easy riding on all of them apart from the finales obviously. Not really harder than your casual training ride for Quintana.

A bit of a lost opportunity, although not that important really, for Quintana here. Bennati was right there when the split happened and Quintana was right behind him. Bennati did his best to bring Quintana with him to the first group, but Nairo lost his wheel. That part of the race was very exciting to watch.

It's not a big deal, but there's no question that this is a vulnerability that has already cost Nairo. There really isn't much he can or should do about it either.

Re:

spiritualride said:
Makes me concerned about how much time he will lose in the flat TTs.
It will certainly be interesting..

Realistically, I think he will lose about 2.30 to Dumoulin's of the world. I think Jungels will do extremely well as well. The rest of the GT-contenders - Nibali, Pinot, Thomas, Zakarin, Kruijswijk etc. I don't think he will lose that much to, their TT is also pretty hit and miss. Maybe apart from Thibaut. The more time he loses tho, the better for the race.

I fully expect him to graduate to the main team this year. I think he's more of a pure climber than Valverde, more in common with J-Rod, but he has good punch. Very good talent, and I did think they might have already promoted him, that shows you how highly they clearly rate Carretero although they may have felt that, since they were also promoting Carapaz, they might need a more all-round rider rather than another pure climber out of the feeder.

Assume you meant to link to stage 1 to IrrisarriLand rather than stage 2 over Jaizkibel?

I have been disappointed by Anacona recently, but today was his best performance in a Movistar-kit (maybe along with his Alpe d' Huez-stage in 2015). Finally showing form again! Completely blew the race apart, it reminded of the Rubiera, Beltran, Azavedo and even Heras' of the world today.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I have been disappointed by Anacona recently, but today was his best performance in a Movistar-kit (maybe along with his Alpe d' Huez-stage in 2015). Finally showing form again! Completely blew the race apart, it reminded of the Rubiera, Beltran, Azavedo and even Heras' of the world today.
It was very fitting that the last two men from Movistar setting the pace before the fireworks started were Victor and Winner

ice&fire said:
Valv.Piti said:
It was very fitting that the last two men from Movistar setting the pace before the fireworks started were Victor and Winner
Nice ;)

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
I fully expect him to graduate to the main team this year. I think he's more of a pure climber than Valverde, more in common with J-Rod, but he has good punch. Very good talent, and I did think they might have already promoted him, that shows you how highly they clearly rate Carretero although they may have felt that, since they were also promoting Carapaz, they might need a more all-round rider rather than another pure climber out of the feeder.

Assume you meant to link to stage 1 to IrrisarriLand rather than stage 2 over Jaizkibel?

Yes i also saw the first stage but i was more impressed with his uphill jump ( around 8.30). Do you know more about the young rider from Belarus, Zhigunov? He seems to have capacities as a sprinter, would be nice to see a pure sprinter with Movistar in a few years.

Zhyhunou (Belarusian spelling of his name, same as with Siutsou/Sivtsov and so on) has a fast finish but I wouldn't say he's a pure sprinter. While his best results since moving to Spain have been in flatter races, races like the Zumaiako Saria are still far from truly flat. He was 2nd in the national RR at the age of 18 in 2015, beaten by Krasilnikau in a two-up sprint after escaping a four man break on a circuit with a couple of hills in it around Mozyr. Seems like a hardman type with a strong sprint rather than an out and out sprinter imo, although not so much as a hilly guy à la Lobato or Rojas that has been Movistar's typical sprint modus operandi. Might be good for him if he can get a promotion before Bennati retires.

Valv.Piti - would be nice to see, but he does have to watch out for Balarcón, and Antunes is back for W52 too.

Quintana need's to gain at least 5minutes in the next 10 stages as in the last TT Dumoulin will surely take another 2:30..

Movistar need to be careful now to not puncture or crash. As I'd bet my life that Sky, Orica and Sunweb would suddenly drill it on the front..
It'll also surely not be forgotten for the Tour. Karma could well come back to hurt them!

TRENDING THREADS