• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Moviestar said:
The ''breakaway boys'' are invisible in the Giro. De La Parte seems to improve towards the third week, but from someone like Fernandez you can expect something more.. I think Betancur will end up as the best GC-man, Carapaz was really struggling today towards the end.
Yeah, its a pretty horrible team tbh. Quintana does nothing, Fernandez does nothing either and Valls, who was going well, unfortunately crashed. Probably can't expect much more out of Pedrero, he is a solid rider, but this is the Giro and not the Vuelta. Todays stage is an obvious break stage so they really need to hit that one, maybe with Betancur and De la Parte.

They have listened :)

Moviestar said:
Valv.Piti said:
Moviestar said:
The ''breakaway boys'' are invisible in the Giro. De La Parte seems to improve towards the third week, but from someone like Fernandez you can expect something more.. I think Betancur will end up as the best GC-man, Carapaz was really struggling today towards the end.
Yeah, its a pretty horrible team tbh. Quintana does nothing, Fernandez does nothing either and Valls, who was going well, unfortunately crashed. Probably can't expect much more out of Pedrero, he is a solid rider, but this is the Giro and not the Vuelta. Todays stage is an obvious break stage so they really need to hit that one, maybe with Betancur and De la Parte.

They have listened :)
Yeah, Dayer did well today. Thats was a nice performance from him, but he probably emptied his tank :p

Re:

Moviestar said:
Yesterday Unzue apparently named the pre-selection of the Tourteam on Eurosport: Quintana, Valverde, Landa, Soler, Rojas, Erviti, Amador, Bennati, Oliveira and Sütterlin.

Soler however is still a questionmark, he will be the leader in the Dauphine http://www.mundodeportivo.com/ciclismo/20180525/443809288086/movistar-team-mantiene-la-duda-de-marc-soler-para-el-tour-de-francia.html

I saw that. 10 riders for 8 spots and know Landa, Quintana, Valverde are going. I'd say we can also say Amador is definitely going. If no other reason than the cobbled stage I'd say Erviti, and Sutterlin for the TTT. For me the last two spots are between Rojas, Bennati, Oliveria, and Soler.

A bit surprising that Anacona is not in the selection, besides all the other expected candidates, given he did not do the Giro, but with him not there I guess the chance of Soler riding is a lot bigger, as the team need another climber besides Amador to help. I guess its then most likely Erviti, Rojas and finally Bennati or Sütterlin for the last 3 spots, and I guess Oliveira as the best climber of the rest if Soler is not riding, where I would have thought it would have been Anacona.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
So of all their leaders, they send none to the Dauphine. They are going to come out of this entire racing block including the Tour totally empty-handed, calling it now.

Re:

hazaran said:
So of all their leaders, they send none to the Dauphine. They are going to come out of this entire racing block including the Tour totally empty-handed, calling it now.
People said that ahead of Paris-Nice and Giro d' Italia and look how that turned out. Sometimes you gotta give the young guys some chances and they have delivered so far, can't see why that should be different in this race.

Also, the thought process behind all of this is basically that they don't give a rats ass about anything else than the Tour, basically. So if Suisse is the best race for preparing, they go to Suisse. You can see that they have sent 7 out of the 10 guys in the picture to that race.

Valv.Piti said:
hazaran said:
People said that ahead of Paris-Nice and Giro d' Italia and look how that turned out. Sometimes you gotta give the young guys some chances and they have delivered so far, can't see why that should be different in this race.

Also, the thought process behind all of this is basically that they don't give a rats *** about anything else than the Tour, basically. So if Suisse is the best race for preparing, they go to Suisse. You can see that they have sent 7 out of the 10 guys in the picture to that race.

One more thing to add is that after Soler won Paris-Nice he was promised leadership of the team for the Duaphine to see how he could do on a little larger stage. It's been known for a couple of months now that the big 3 were headed to Suisse this year. I think more of a need to get them all in a race before the Tour than anything else. Remember Quintana doesn't usually race the Duaphine before the Tour anyway. Although Valverde usually does.

Koronin said:
Valv.Piti said:
hazaran said:

Also, the thought process behind all of this is basically that they don't give a rats *** about anything else than the Tour, basically. So if Suisse is the best race for preparing, they go to Suisse. You can see that they have sent 7 out of the 10 guys in the picture to that race.

One more thing to add is that after Soler won Paris-Nice he was promised leadership of the team for the Duaphine to see how he could do on a little larger stage. It's been known for a couple of months now that the big 3 were headed to Suisse this year. I think more of a need to get them all in a race before the Tour than anything else. Remember Quintana doesn't usually race the Duaphine before the Tour anyway. Although Valverde usually does.

I fail to see how is Dauphine larger stage than Paris-Nice?

Blanco said:
Koronin said:
Valv.Piti said:
hazaran said:

I fail to see how is Dauphine larger stage than Paris-Nice?

My guess is against some of the riders who will be at the Duaphine compared to who was at Paris-Nice is what was being referred to.

It would be better to send Soler to the Vuelta for his own development, but if he can be in form it looks more and more necessary from the team’s point of view to have him in the Tour. With three leaders, their five domestiques will have to be capable of covering the work of seven. Soler is the guy on their roster who can double job as a climber and a rouleur at a high level. That’s valuable in any team, but it’s pretty much essential in a team with too few domestiques.

It’s going to get messy if Movistar have to defend the jersey.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
It would be better to send Soler to the Vuelta for his own development, but if he can be in form it looks more and more necessary from the team’s point of view to have him in the Tour. With three leaders, their five domestiques will have to be capable of covering the work of seven. Soler is the guy on their roster who can double job as a climber and a rouleur at a high level. That’s valuable in any team, but it’s pretty much essential in a team with too few domestiques.

It’s going to get messy if Movistar have to defend the jersey.

I think Amador fits that as well.

I'm not entirely sure they actually will defend the jersey if they get it in the first week. As for it getting messy, that's likely to happen with or without the jersey. The interesting part is what happens if Valverde is the one that gets it. How unhappy are both Landa and Quintana going to be about that.

Everyone is talking about the tour but you know what I'm already looking forward to? The Vuelta where the three leaders will probably ride together again with a better rested carapaz who might as well be better than the other three. :D
Anyway, I agree with the ones who say Soler is a key factor in the tour. Amador is a great superdomestique because he is so incredibly versatile but Soler is the kind of guy who can absolutely shred the peloton on a hard climb. Because the inability of doing that would be catastrophic for Movistar. You can have three leaders to cause carnage in the mountains but if the sky train isn't destroyed already every attack becomes a suicide attack. Yeah such a suicide attack can actually make the sky train collapse but who of the three will be willing to waste his own tour for the sake of someone else's?

Gigs_98 said:
Everyone is talking about the tour but you know what I'm already looking forward to? The Vuelta where the three leaders will probably ride together again with a better rested carapaz who might as well be better than the other three. :D
Anyway, I agree with the ones who say Soler is a key factor in the tour. Amador is a great superdomestique because he is so incredibly versatile but Soler is the kind of guy who can absolutely shred the peloton on a hard climb. Because the inability of doing that would be catastrophic for Movistar. You can have three leaders to cause carnage in the mountains but if the sky train isn't destroyed already every attack becomes a suicide attack. Yeah such a suicide attack can actually make the sky train collapse but who of the three will be willing to waste his own tour for the sake of someone else's?
Valverde will do that.

Alexandre B. said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valverde will do that.
Will Valverde also do this when he is the best placed gc rider after the first week? Considering how Valverde rode the tour in 2015 I doubt it

Valverde is the one most likely to be in the best shape after the first week of the Tour considering he can actually ride the cobbles and is by far the most versatile of the 3 leaders. He also CAN do a very good time trial unlike both Quintana and Landa. However, at least from comments Valverde has made he's more interested in la Vuelta and the Worlds than he is in the Tour. Also he isn't going to fully sacrifice himself just simply because he never riders into the red. He'll ride at this limit, but won't go into the red.