• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

tobydawq said:
According to Valverde, he has been a bit under the weather for a few days and that's why he has changed his schedule.

Sure /s

A month till the Tour and there is already trouble in paradise. Will be great comedy in the TTT, every one of the GC guys and those believing themselves to be taking shorter pretend pulls than the next :lol:

Truthfully I like this better than sending him along with both Landa and Quintana to Suisse anyway.

Yes he did say he has a bit of a cold that just won't go away. However, I have a feeling if he'd have been heading to the Duaphine with Soler and Roson instead of Suisse with Landa and Quintana we'd never have heard about this little cold. Wouldn't be shocked if he just doesn't want to deal with Landa and Quintana in the same race until he absolutely has to thus the cold and a change of races. Now he can go to Sud and take it a bit easier.

I also agree with Valv.Piti that he's more focused on la Vuelta and the Worlds than the Tour anyway, so better to cut a few race days off his calendar than have him over raced for the Worlds and Lombardia like is more typical.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Decent TTT today considering their lineup. Jasha and Soler took some monster pulls, both could feature in the Tour-team altho I think Erviti will be preferred.

Hoping Soler can get a nice top-5 and maybe a stage win along the way.
I thought they didn't do that good. With those riders I was expecting better. I guess is just perception.

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Decent TTT today considering their lineup. Jasha and Soler took some monster pulls, both could feature in the Tour-team altho I think Erviti will be preferred.

I thought they didn't do that good. With those riders I was expecting better. I guess is just perception.
Hmm, I don't think you could have expected more out of this very young team tbh.

Valv.Piti said:
Escarabajo said:
Valv.Piti said:

Hmm, I don't think you could have expected more out of this very young team tbh.

With how young this group is, I wasn't sure what to expect from them. Unfortunately a not very good TTT was the outcome.
I just hope Soler tries something like he did at Paris-Nice.

Re:

Koronin said:
Truthfully I like this better than sending him along with both Landa and Quintana to Suisse anyway.

Yes he did say he has a bit of a cold that just won't go away. However, I have a feeling if he'd have been heading to the Duaphine with Soler and Roson instead of Suisse with Landa and Quintana we'd never have heard about this little cold. Wouldn't be shocked if he just doesn't want to deal with Landa and Quintana in the same race until he absolutely has to thus the cold and a change of races. Now he can go to Sud and take it a bit easier.

I also agree with Valv.Piti that he's more focused on la Vuelta and the Worlds than the Tour anyway, so better to cut a few race days off his calendar than have him over raced for the Worlds and Lombardia like is more typical.
Temperatures in most southern regions of Spain have been down to 10 degrees Celsius below average for this season in the last days. Strong rainstorms have also been frequent, which is also very unusual in those regions at this time of the year. Whether he has been training in his home region of Murcia or in Sierra Nevada I would not discard the possibility that he's really suffering a cold and prefers going to an easier race.
I recall Contador went to Navacerrada in 2010 to prepare for the Tour after the Dauphiné and he had unusually cold and rainy weather in those mid-late June days. We all know how that ended.
Why don't they go to Tenerife? Is it because it is fully booked by other teams? :D

ice&fire said:
Koronin said:

Temperatures in most southern regions of Spain have been down to 10 degrees Celsius below average for this season in the last days. Strong rainstorms have also been frequent, which is also very unusual in those regions at this time of the year. Whether he has been training in his home region of Murcia or in Sierra Nevada I would not discard the possibility that he's really suffering a cold and prefers going to an easier race.
I recall Contador went to Navacerrada in 2010 to prepare for the Tour after the Dauphiné and he had unusually cold and rainy weather in those mid-late June days. We all know how that ended.
Why don't they go to Tenerife? Is it because it is fully booked by other teams? :D

With the temps being that far off of normal, then yes it is possible. Although he's usually more prone to getting sick when the temps change quickly than if it's more constant. Although I don't think he'd go to Tenerife anyway. He prefers consistent, normal to changes. So either staying at home or in Sierra Nevada are normal and consistent. According to his Strava account he was in Sierra Nevada training last week.

Not bad today, not good, but it's OK. It's obvious that Movistar want Le Tour. Anything before or after is gravy. There's a game of shadows happening, Sky won the day, but today is not July. Meh. Still, Sky can line a big team up.

The deal for Eusebio will be to call the shots and get buy-in. You can't let Kwiat match you and pace it. Making it through the cobbles with three and not two or one threat is the key. get to the mountains as a three-headed monster.

Big plot. This TdF could be great. To me that's the key because I don't expect others to do anything: make no mistake, we have seen it. It often pays off.

It's Movistar against Sky.

Tonton said:
Not bad today, not good, but it's OK. It's obvious that Movistar want Le Tour. Anything before or after is gravy. There's a game of shadows happening, Sky won the day, but today is not July. Meh. Still, Sky can line a big team up.

The deal for Eusebio will be to call the shots and get buy-in. You can't let Kwiat match you and pace it. Making it through the cobbles with three and not two or one threat is the key. get to the mountains as a three-headed monster.

Big plot. This TdF could be great. To me that's the key because I don't expect others to do anything: make no mistake, we have seen it. It often pays off.

It's Movistar against Sky.

What could make it even more interesting is if they could actually get 4 through the cobbled section still in the hunt. Granted Soler would be totally "bait" but having him high as well as the 3 musketeers could make things even crazier, esp since he along with Landa have shown a willingness to attack from distance.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Not sure what to make about Soler at the Dauphiné so far. It seems he still isn’t quite climbing with the top favourites but he is at least still showing the willingness to attack.

Soler is more of an all rounder than a true climber. He's still learning and improving. One of the big things I'm seeing from him this year is that not only is he willing to attack, but he's also learning how to limit his losses. I believe he could benefit from racing with Valverde more to learn.

edit to add this:
Movistar posted that they are very happy with Soler's progression and what he's showing in the Dauphine.

Re:

yaco said:
No surprise for me - He peaked in March/April/ for PN and is now trying to peak for July.
Exactly, it was pretty obvious he was a long way back in Aragón in mid May. He is obv closer now, but will be at 100% in the Tour rather than here, especially after a great and probably pretty hard spring campaign. So he has done what is expected so far, a top-10 will be good. Nice to see him attacking again today altho he doesn't really have the legs to justify one, he made one the other day as well.

Im a bit disappointed in Rosón on the other hand.

yaco said:
Blanco said:
And there goes Soler's hope for Tour...

Soler never had a hope for the TDF - He will be a support rider.
I think he referred to him being selected at all.

Of course he never was meant to be the 4th leader or something ridiculous like that, but I will still be very surprised not to see him being selected. Yes, bad day today, but he is so versatile that he can be used in the TTT and cobbles as well. Just like Amador, the role of the Izagirre bros and Castroviejo. But these riders are bigger and can therefore protect the flyweights better and are more adapt at cobbles as well.

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Blanco said:
And there goes Soler's hope for Tour...

Soler never had a hope for the TDF - He will be a support rider.
I think he referred to him being selected at all.

Of course he never was meant to be the 4th leader or something ridiculous like that, but I will still be very surprised not to see him being selected. Yes, bad day today, but he is so versatile that he can be used in the TTT and cobbles as well. Just like Amador, the role of the Izagirre bros and Castroviejo. But these riders are bigger and can therefore protect the flyweights better and are more adapt at cobbles as well.

Did someone not watch Paris-Roubaix this year? :cool:

TRENDING THREADS