• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Oliver said:
Valverde is removed from de cyclingfever startlist for San Sebastian? Why?

Because he's not racing. He went on vacation right after the Tour ended. I also have the impression he doesn't intend on showing up to the Vuelta is much better shape that he showed up to the Tour in. Hope I'm wrong on that, because I do think if he wants to win the Worlds he needs to be a lot closer to being in off form than just race shape at the start of the Vuelta.

For some reason Landa is heading the team for San Sebastian. Why, no clue as he's not proven he can do one day races. Where exactly Betancur is is a great question.
I think he might be burnt out. Too much hard training over winter, in an effort to quickly regain the fitness that he lost, followed by racing at top form more or less from January to April. If so, rest is probably the best option; although it's going to be a coin toss whether or not he is then able to ride into form during the Vuelta.

DFA123 said:
Koronin said:
Oliver said:

Because he's not racing. He went on vacation right after the Tour ended. I also have the impression he doesn't intend on showing up to the Vuelta is much better shape that he showed up to the Tour in. Hope I'm wrong on that, because I do think if he wants to win the Worlds he needs to be a lot closer to being in off form than just race shape at the start of the Vuelta.

For some reason Landa is heading the team for San Sebastian. Why, no clue as he's not proven he can do one day races. Where exactly Betancur is is a great question.
I think he might be burnt out. Too much hard training over winter, in an effort to quickly regain the fitness that he lost, followed by racing at top form more or less from January to April. If so, rest is probably the best option; although it's going to be a coin toss whether or not he is then able to ride into form during the Vuelta.

Don't know if burnt out is correct or not, but he's most definitely suffering from not having had an off season. Yeah, he definitely was racing at peak level from the start of the season through the Ardennes, which he's never done before as well. I think there are multiple reasons including that as to why he didn't want to race the Tour and that was fairly evident during the Tour that he wasn't particularly happy he was there. I agree it's a coin toss rather he can ride into form during la Vuelta or not. He's never actually tried to do it before.

Koronin said:
Oliver said:

Landa was in San Sebastian finale couple of times. Last year he was there for Kwiat in the last km's, and one year he was also in the mix when he was riding for Euskaltel, I think it was year when Gallopin won.
But I think he has a very slim chance to win. He needs to drop them all on that last wall, and he needs to drop them hard, so they can't come back on the decent and those 2-3 last flat km.

Blanco said:
Koronin said:
Oliver said:

Landa was in San Sebastian finale couple of times. Last year he was there for Kwiat in the last km's, and one year he was also in the mix when he was riding for Euskaltel, I think it was year when Gallopin won.
But I think he has a very slim chance to win. He needs to drop them all on that last wall, and he needs to drop them hard, so they can't come back on the decent and those 2-3 last flat km.

I like Landa, I just don't get this decision. He's not a one day rider. (Apparently he does want to learn.) He'd have to drop everyone by a good distance and hope no one has teammates to have any shot at even thinking about winning and I don't see that as even remotely likely. Truthfully, if his back is still bothering him at all I have no clu why he's even going. Then again outside of Valverde they have a grand total of 0 riders who can win a one day race of any type.

Koronin said:
Blanco said:
Koronin said:
Oliver said:

I like Landa, I just don't get this decision. He's not a one day rider. (Apparently he does want to learn.) He'd have to drop everyone by a good distance and hope no one has teammates to have any shot at even thinking about winning and I don't see that as even remotely likely. Truthfully, if his back is still bothering him at all I have no clu why he's even going. Then again outside of Valverde they have a grand total of 0 riders who can win a one day race of any type.

I was thinking this was a perposterous statement - then I looked at their roster and have to agree. Except maybe for Barbero but he can only win on the Spanish scene.

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Blanco said:
Koronin said:
Oliver said:

I was thinking this was a perposterous statement - then I looked at their roster and have to agree. Except maybe for Barbero but he can only win on the Spanish scene.

Yeah, their roster is pretty much useless for one day races. I do have to agree that Barbero might be the only other rider on the roster who might be able to win a one day race, but he hasn't proven he can do it outside the Spanish scene.

Re:

ice&fire said:
Landa out of the Vuelta with a broken vertebra. Nothing to worry about. Surely now Carapaz will be promoted to 3rd GC leader.

Unlikely, he's not a Spaniard and this is la Vuelta. They need a Spaniard to get that promotion and after racing the Tour and having never done back to back GTs it's unlikely Soler is ready for that.

Re:

ice&fire said:
They were riding for Quintana in 2014 until he crashed out, as well as in 2015 and 2016. This year they have Valverde, but if they need two more leaders I can't see a problem in Quintana and Carapaz filling that role.

2014 and 2015 Valverde and Quintana were co leaders. 2016 they were riding for Quintana and the Spanish fans basically told the team never again do you come to the Vuelta without a Spanish race leader and expect us to cheer for and support the team.
Also Valverde has already said he's going to the Vuelta for the sole purpose of getting ready for the Worlds and doesn't seem to particularly care what the rest of the team is or isn't doing. The team CANNOT go to the Vuelta with Quintana as the only race leader without having their core fan base up in arms. Thus they must find another Spaniard on their roster to fill that position. Carapaz is NOT a Spaniard and thus does NOT fit what they need and thus CANNOT fulfill that role at La Vuelta.

What are those supposed core fans going to do if Valverde fails and they're in a position to ride for the win or a podium place with Quintana or someone else? Boo them? Try to punch them? Stay at home? Valverde has not gone for GC in a GT since 2 years ago and he's not getting stronger as time goes by. And Landa is out of the bike. They'd better bring whatever backup solution they have at hand rather than use the race as a training camp like they were forced to do last year. South America is a huge market for Movistar, and I'm sure Unzué is a clever man who pays more attention to his sponsor commercial interests and the team sport results than to his fans.

In fact this is a team with solid track record of not giving a fv<king *** what the fans and the press say. In 1988 they decided that his star rider Pedro Delgado would not ride the Vuelta (then in april) and go to the Giro as all the Tour winners in 1984-1987 had done. Because of this neglect of their home GT the most influential sports journalist at the time in Spain went to the extreme of not naming their sponsor and referring to them as "the Navarrese Team". They didn't care and stuck to their plan. They did repeat that with Indurain during his Tour winning years. The best Spanish rider of all time not riding the Vuelta! Heresy! They didn't care. So they'll do whatever they think is best for their interests and If they care for the win I doubt they'll put all eggs in Valverde's basket.

Regarding Carapaz, there is almost half a million Ecuatorians living in Spain. A few years ago Ecuador's national football team played a friendly game with Spain in Madrid and they filled the stadium to the point that it looked like they were the home team. If they go out to the roads during the Vuelta they'll be enough to fill the gap of those supposed Movistar core fans who might complain or stay at home because a Spaniard is not in contention for the win.

The Spanish fans basically said last year, either a Spanish leader for the Spanish GT or they'd en mass find a different team to support and for the most part Caja Rural was the pick simply because they are a Spanish Pro Conti team and were the only one before this year. They do seem to be looking at those three Pro Conti teams to give their support to and then just pick and choose specific riders they will support. Many think Movistar should register in another country because if they can't give them a Spanish leader for the Spanish GT they don't deserve to have their license in Spain. By the way the fans over there were POed that in 2016 Valverde wasn't supported in his attempt at a top 10 in all 3 GTs in one year. There is a large group that refuses to even acknowledge that Quintana won that GT. Basically a large group thought Valverde's attempt at history was more important. As for Valverde and the last time he attempted a GT as a GC rider he finished 3rd at the Giro in 2016. He was supposed to lead last year's Vuelta team but got hurt. It seems ignoring the team in general is more their most likely option and instead choosing another team to cheer for, which will be one of the Spanish pro conti teams.

Koronin said:
ice&fire said:
They were riding for Quintana in 2014 until he crashed out, as well as in 2015 and 2016. This year they have Valverde, but if they need two more leaders I can't see a problem in Quintana and Carapaz filling that role.

2014 and 2015 Valverde and Quintana were co leaders. 2016 they were riding for Quintana and the Spanish fans basically told the team never again do you come to the Vuelta without a Spanish race leader and expect us to cheer for and support the team.
Also Valverde has already said he's going to the Vuelta for the sole purpose of getting ready for the Worlds and doesn't seem to particularly care what the rest of the team is or isn't doing. The team CANNOT go to the Vuelta with Quintana as the only race leader without having their core fan base up in arms. Thus they must find another Spaniard on their roster to fill that position. Carapaz is NOT a Spaniard and thus does NOT fit what they need and thus CANNOT fulfill that role at La Vuelta.

That is one of the saddest things I have ever read on his forum

Scarponi said:
Koronin said:
ice&fire said:

That is one of the saddest things I have ever read on his forum

I won't argue with that. Giro or Tour, no problem, but many of them want a Spaniard as race leader in Spanish races.

Re:

Koronin said:
The Spanish fans basically said last year, either a Spanish leader for the Spanish GT or they'd en mass find a different team to support and for the most part Caja Rural was the pick simply because they are a Spanish Pro Conti team and were the only one before this year. They do seem to be looking at those three Pro Conti teams to give their support to and then just pick and choose specific riders they will support. Many think Movistar should register in another country because if they can't give them a Spanish leader for the Spanish GT they don't deserve to have their license in Spain. By the way the fans over there were POed that in 2016 Valverde wasn't supported in his attempt at a top 10 in all 3 GTs in one year. There is a large group that refuses to even acknowledge that Quintana won that GT. Basically a large group thought Valverde's attempt at history was more important. As for Valverde and the last time he attempted a GT as a GC rider he finished 3rd at the Giro in 2016. He was supposed to lead last year's Vuelta team but got hurt. It seems ignoring the team in general is more their most likely option and instead choosing another team to cheer for, which will be one of the Spanish pro conti teams.
I don't know who are those Spanish fans you talk about. They must be some self-appointed minority whose noise is amplified in their brains by the resonance box of their obscure internet chat forums. The Spanish press didn't complain about the lack of support for Valverde's goals in 2015 and 2016 and didn't report anything at all on those angry fans. And this is a team with a well documented record of non-friendly relationships with the fans AND the press because of their choice of goals.

Re:

Koronin said:
Wtf? This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Just complete nonsense.

Re:

ice&fire said:
Regarding Carapaz, there is almost half a million Ecuatorians living in Spain. A few years ago Ecuador's national football team played a friendly game with Spain in Madrid and they filled the stadium to the point that it looked like they were the home team. If they go out to the roads during the Vuelta they'll be enough to fill the gap of those supposed Movistar core fans who might complain or stay at home because a Spaniard is not in contention for the win.
And there is the fact that South America is a much bigger market for Movistar - the company - than Spain is. I'm pretty sure that Quintana's successes bring them a much greater return on their investment than Valverde's do.

DFA123 said:
ice&fire said:
And there is the fact that South America is a much bigger market for Movistar - the company - than Spain is. I'm pretty sure that Quintana's successes bring them a much greater return on their investment than Valverde's do.
How much of an impact does a rider like Quintana have on the rest of South America outside of Colombia?

Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
ice&fire said:
How much of an impact does a rider like Quintana have on the rest of South America outside of Colombia?
I don't know for sure, probably not a great deal in places like Chile or Argentina with a limited cycling culture. But I imagine he spreads brand awareness quite a bit in places like Venezuela and Ecuador. But Quintana is a massive celebrity in Colombia - far bigger than Valverde is in Spain I think. So even if its just for the Colombian market (which is bigger than Spain) - he is the equivalent of Iniesta or Rafa Nadal in Spain - a huge marketing draw.

TRENDING THREADS