• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Angliru said:
Koronin said:
Moviestar said:
I hope they will be in the market for Sosa, after they lost Bernal to Sky last year. It would also be typical Unzue if he would offer Alarcon a contract again, given the fact he was close to a move with Movistar last season.

There was talk that Movistar never was that interested in even talking with Bernal. This is apparently one of the points on contention between Quintana and Movistar management in that Movistar didn't do anything more than offer a token contract offer to Bernal and were not interested in negotiating while they were more interested in a couple of young Spaniards.

Could it also be a possibility with them having added Landa to the roster that adding Bernal would've been a further potentially threatening gesture to Quintana's status in the team on management's part? Not that I think that Quintana is a prima dona but the rumours of the static created in adding Landa to the team and then making him co-leader at the Tour, it seems adding another rider in a similar profile wouldn't go over well, even if he is Colombian.

No, Quintana wanted Bernal on the team and that is part of the rift between Quintana and Movistar Management. Quintana wanted him and instead the team singed a young Spaniard (Castrillo) and then went after Landa. I'm with Escarabajo that management didn't think Bernal was actually that good, and I also believe they were looking for a good Spanish rider and a young Spanish rider with potential. Thus the signings of Landa and Castrillo. Also there were rumors they were looking at signing Samitier, but apparently decided he needed some time at the Pro Conti level before being ready for WT. It seems Quintana took their non interest in Bernal as statement that they don't trust his views of young riders while they'll sign a rider Valverde tells them they should look at without bothering to even scout the rider. (Of course Valverde has been doing talent evaluations for the team for years now as well).

What is your source on this?

Re:

yaco said:
It's well known that nearly every Colombian cyclist from pro's to the amateurs realised that Bernal was a super talent - And I suspect nearly every WT team knew the same.
How do you know this?
I think it is hard to know that before his results this year. He showed a lot of promise but to know exactly where he would end up was a stretch, wouldn't you think?

Moviestar said:
Koronin said:
Angliru said:
Koronin said:
Moviestar said:
I hope they will be in the market for Sosa, after they lost Bernal to Sky last year. It would also be typical Unzue if he would offer Alarcon a contract again, given the fact he was close to a move with Movistar last season.

There was talk that Movistar never was that interested in even talking with Bernal. This is apparently one of the points on contention between Quintana and Movistar management in that Movistar didn't do anything more than offer a token contract offer to Bernal and were not interested in negotiating while they were more interested in a couple of young Spaniards.

Could it also be a possibility with them having added Landa to the roster that adding Bernal would've been a further potentially threatening gesture to Quintana's status in the team on management's part? Not that I think that Quintana is a prima dona but the rumours of the static created in adding Landa to the team and then making him co-leader at the Tour, it seems adding another rider in a similar profile wouldn't go over well, even if he is Colombian.

No, Quintana wanted Bernal on the team and that is part of the rift between Quintana and Movistar Management. Quintana wanted him and instead the team singed a young Spaniard (Castrillo) and then went after Landa. I'm with Escarabajo that management didn't think Bernal was actually that good, and I also believe they were looking for a good Spanish rider and a young Spanish rider with potential. Thus the signings of Landa and Castrillo. Also there were rumors they were looking at signing Samitier, but apparently decided he needed some time at the Pro Conti level before being ready for WT. It seems Quintana took their non interest in Bernal as statement that they don't trust his views of young riders while they'll sign a rider Valverde tells them they should look at without bothering to even scout the rider. (Of course Valverde has been doing talent evaluations for the team for years now as well).

What is your source on this?

Don't remember, but there were several places that I had read that Quintana wanted Movistar to get Bernal and that Movistar said they weren't interested. There is a rift between Quintana and Movistar management and this is most likely a part of why. Although I doubt the full reason.

Escarabajo said:
yaco said:
It's well known that nearly every Colombian cyclist from pro's to the amateurs realised that Bernal was a super talent - And I suspect nearly every WT team knew the same.
How do you know this?
I think it is hard to know that before his results this year. He showed a lot of promise but to know exactly where he would end up was a stretch, wouldn't you think?
Every Colombian cyclist knew that Bernal is a special talent and a number made public comments to this effect - Bernal's performances in his first year is a separate discussion.

Moviestar said:
yaco said:
Moviestar said:
Very curious to see how Carapaz will deal with a 2 GT in a year. The shape is obviously there since he showed good form in Poland.

You have to worry when he is a late replacement for Landa - I worry about Movistar's placement of riders.

Carapaz was already scheduled to ride the Vuelta, with or without the three musketeers.

He would have been on their long list, but he was the replacement for Landa. If Landa had gone he wouldn't have. Why not sure as they are sending a team that doesn't exactly have much in the way of climbing help and this from a team that is supposed to be full of climbers.

Re:

Joomla10 said:
Strong squad for Vuelta. I only don't understand why Erviti, why????

Erviti is one of the most valuable riders of the whole team, he could work on the front for hours, for days if necessary! He's one of the best domestiques of the entire peloton, and everytime he's in a decent form his presence in the GT lineup is out of the question.

Blanco said:
Joomla10 said:
Strong squad for Vuelta. I only don't understand why Erviti, why????

Erviti is one of the most valuable riders of the whole team, he could work on the front for hours, for days if necessary! He's one of the best domestiques of the entire peloton, and everytime he's in a decent form his presence in the GT lineup is out of the question.

Add one more reason to this. He is very good friends with Valverde and is most likely on the Vuelta team specifically for Valverde. Valverde's talked about Erviti's calming influence on him.

Anacona just isn't good enough and hasn't been for a while. Last good performance I remember is Blockhaus 2017 and those performances are few and far between, like his Alpe d Huez stage in 2015 or the reason (I assume) why the team got him, Valdelinares in 2014.