• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
When Dumoulin won the Giro Quintana actually had a really good TT, losing only 1:25 on Dumoulin over 30k. And that TT was as flat as a pancake.

So he can produce good TTs, just not today.
That was average, it gaps in general were on the smaller side, as they tend to be in pan flat TTs with no wind.

When Dumoulin won the Giro Quintana actually had a really good TT, losing only 1:25 on Dumoulin over 30k. And that TT was as flat as a pancake.

So he can produce good TTs, just not today.
Quintana lost almost 3 minutes to Dumolin in the ITT after the first rest day over 39.8km including some climbing.

My fear is the weakness quintana showed today. Last year he was very good in the first week and after that he went backward and I'm feeling this vuelta will be the same. Unfortunately, Bala never was a favourite to me, he can't gain minutes in a stage, in his all entire career he never won 30/40 seconds to all his rivals in the mountains.

My fear is the weakness quintana showed today. Last year he was very good in the first week and after that he went backward and I'm feeling this vuelta will be the same. Unfortunately, Bala never was a favourite to me, he can't gain minutes in a stage, in his all entire career he never won 30/40 seconds to all his rivals in the mountains.

The team may take the gamble that Valverde finishing on the podium is a safer bet and go with that.

^^ Wonder if Contador or his fans would have accepted him, being a champion, finishing on the podium rather than going all out for the win, regardless if he finishes outside the top ten? NQ will no doubt go on the attack from far out to give it a shot but will no doubt fail and end up doming for Vv, but at least he tried. Would Vv go all out to try and win? Doubt it, unless it's in a reduced bunch uphill sprint. Or now he is in a position on the podium, is he gonna wheelsuck his way to remain there? If I was Unzue, I think I would try and go all out for the win in my home GT rather than accept a podium and the odd stage win. But I'm not Unzue and I don't watch enough cycling. :p

He doesn't need to gain on all rivals, only on Roglic, and that's not impossible by any means...

^^ Wonder if Contador or his fans would have accepted him, being a champion, finishing on the podium rather than going all out for the win, regardless if he finishes outside the top ten? NQ will no doubt go on the attack from far out to give it a shot but will no doubt fail and end up doming for Vv, but at least he tried. Would Vv go all out to try and win? Doubt it, unless it's in a reduced bunch uphill sprint. Or now he is in a position on the podium, is he gonna wheelsuck his way to remain there? If I was Unzue, I think I would try and go all out for the win in my home GT rather than accept a podium and the odd stage win. But I'm not Unzue and I don't watch enough cycling. :p
You don't need to watch cycling at all, you know in advance what will happen :rolleyes:

Old man Quintana hugging Valverde after the stage :)

kOKPY2j.png

What a shitty tactics today!
You can't protect someone who doesn't react for direct threats! And who by the way hasn't got the legs for it.
And Valverde FFS! When you attack, then attack! Go for once all or nothing, *** the team, *** Quintana, *** your own mentality!!!

What a shitty tactics today!
You can't protect someone who doesn't react for direct threats! And who by the way hasn't got the legs for it.
And Valverde FFS! When you attack, then attack! Go for once all or nothing, * the team, * Quintana, *** your own mentality!!!
Pretty much. Forced on the backfoot and ro rely on Pedrero and Soler who had nothing left. Quintana has hampered the team the last 3 days and Valverde... yeah, dno.