• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mas is young and learning (problem is that there are younger contenders). He needs to position himself better. He was on the front for a good bit of the day then slid back just before the start of the final climb. He did it last year and has done it this year. It’s like the pace leading up to the climb is an issue or he’s trying to wind himself up. He also has a habit of moving up and down the group on climbs as though he is trying to gage the shape of his rivals and wastes energy.

He’s ok in a 1 on 1 situation, but is awful in a group sprint. He practically opened the main group sprint on Stage 2 and ended up at the back. He’s terrible at it.

I guess its still a selling point for teams to their sponsors. Sure, as a fan - not that exciting. But it seems to matter for teams.

Oh, I get that it's important for the sponsors, and I still enjoy watching my team, but the roster is a lot weaker than in recent years and likely the weakest in a long long while, with hardly any young spanish talent in the making, that's what concerns me a little more.

Reactions: ppanther92
I'm sure part of it is the issues with SRAM. Why they made the stupid decision to go with them I have no idea, but that has literally killed their entire season and by doing this actually made a rider (Valverde) who loves just riding his bike actually hate riding and not even want to train, which unlike many he actually enjoys doing. In Valverde's case it's likely a combination of age and SRAM. Mas very literally can't sprint. However, his form is definitely better than it has been this year, but it's not good enough to do much with.

The problem with Movistar is they let the wrong riders go. Bad workmen always blame their tools.:D

Except there are plenty of riders in the peloton who have flat out said SRAM are bad and destroy their legs. Katusha riders have confirmed the problems.

The agent Acquardo is the reason for a handful of riders leaving Movistar and why they blacklisted that agent due to the way he was using the team as nothing more than a training ground for riders he was sending to Sky/Ineos and Movistar had enough. The only rider who left that they likely should have tried to keep and is NOT a client of that agent is Landa.

I believe we will see the Vuelta week 3 Mas in the Alps this Tour. Unless he loses a half hour he should try himself out and ride the GC IMO, just to try it again after last years failure. If it doesnt work again, then well, maybe something needs to be done. But first and foremost, he is brought in by Movistar to race as their leading GT contender and I really hope it works out.

Reactions: Koronin
I'm sure part of it is the issues with SRAM. Why they made the stupid decision to go with them I have no idea, but that has literally killed their entire season and by doing this actually made a rider (Valverde) who loves just riding his bike actually hate riding and not even want to train, which unlike many he actually enjoys doing. In Valverde's case it's likely a combination of age and SRAM. Mas very literally can't sprint. However, his form is definitely better than it has been this year, but it's not good enough to do much with.
Please don’t blame equipment. They just don’t have the form compared to other teams. This sounds like Contador fans several years ago. :p

Reactions: jaylew
Please don’t blame equipment. They just don’t have the form compared to other teams. This sounds like Contador fans several years ago. :p

It IS and definitely was a major problem at the start of the season. Former Katusha riders have confirmed SRAM are junk and DO cause major problems including destroying their legs. Guess, what, you CANNOT get great form when you have bad equipment. SRAM is bad equipment. Did you forget Mollema has also had harsh words about SRAM.

It IS and definitely was a major problem at the start of the season. Former Katusha riders have confirmed SRAM are junk and DO cause major problems including destroying their legs. Guess, what, you CANNOT get great form when you have bad equipment. SRAM is bad equipment. Did you forget Mollema has also had harsh words about SRAM.
I’ve heard from pros that don’t like SRAM yes. I just don’t believe that’s their main problem. Maybe it’s a small contribution.

TRENDING THREADS