• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I didn't expect you to do that. I suspect that isn't very easy to find out who the agent is for most riders.
The big hitters isn’t hard to find. It’s the non Anglo domestiques that are difficult. I never found any ties between the two, so I don’t think it’s Aquadro.

It’s no worries. I’ve been following Verona for a while and have been thrilled he’s finally starting to live up to some of the expectations so I’m naturally curious about it Since he has ridden so well with Movistar this year.

Reactions: Koronin
View: https://twitter.com/cirogazzetta/status/1316429345867599873

I hope Unzue can resist the temptation :rolleyes: He has a soft spot for riders with such kind of profiles. Betancur, Karpets and Moreno ( their second period), Bruseghin, Moreau... the list is endless

LOl I had the same thoughts earlier when I saw the tweet. I could totally see Unzue going after Aru. Karpets... I had forgotten about the “next Menchov.”

View: https://twitter.com/cirogazzetta/status/1316429345867599873

I hope Unzue can resist the temptation :rolleyes: He has a soft spot for riders with such kind of profiles. Betancur, Karpets and Moreno ( their second period), Bruseghin, Moreau... the list is endless
Things Unzue likes more than anything else:

1. taking a flyer on underperforming riders who still have years on their side but whose stars have waned: Betancur, Rujano, Mauricio Soler, Cobo (first time), Karpets (second time)
  2. paying above the odds for veteran climbers who are declining: Moreau, Bruseghin, Szmyd, Gadret, Cataldo, Moreno (second time)
  3. retreads: Cobo, Moreno, Karpets, Plaza
  4. dumpster diving in scenes people aren't really looking to pick up riders from: Reynes, Horrach, Marque, Teruel, Oyarzún, Pedrero
He's basically the Jim Rutherford of cycling. It's a good thing for his sake that there's no transfer/trade system in the sport, I couldn't wait to see him trade Carretero or Samitier and a first round pick to Astana for the fading remains of Luís León Sánchez because he wants more veteran help and Valverde likes riding with him.

1. taking a flyer on underperforming riders who still have years on their side but whose stars have waned: Betancur, Rujano, Mauricio Soler, Cobo (first time), Karpets (second time)
  2. paying above the odds for veteran climbers who are declining: Moreau, Bruseghin, Szmyd, Gadret, Cataldo, Moreno (second time)
  4. dumpster diving in scenes people aren't really looking to pick up riders from: Reynes, Horrach, Marque, Teruel, Oyarzún, Pedrero
He's basically the Jim Rutherford of cycling. It's a good thing for his sake that there's no transfer/trade system in the sport, I couldn't wait to see him trade Carretero or Samitier and a first round pick to Astana for the fading remains of Luís León Sánchez because he wants more veteran help and Valverde likes riding with him.

The worst part is I can see him making that trade if trades were a thing.

The Vuelta lineup... is strong. Mas, Valverde, Soler, Verona, Olivera, Rojas, Erviti
The 8th rider for the Vuelta team is Arcas.

On another note: Roelandts has announced his retirement at the end of this season.

Reactions: perico and SHAD0W93

On paper there isn't one yet, but in practice it's more common these days to buy riders out of their contract. A couple of years back Verona from Etixx to Orica midway the season, last year the Rohan Dennis saga and recently Fausto Masnada from Astana to Quick Step.

Unzue already has some negative experiences with this. Bahrein did buy off the then current contract of Ion Izagirre and Unzue accepted the fee for the breach of contract. With Castroviejo it was the same if i remember it correctly, where Sky bought his contract off.

Well, and Savio's new niche, now that the gentleman's agreement to not sign returning dopers is over (plus there are fewer high profile dopers being caught to pad this niche). Savio used to give returning riders a chance on the cheap to return and go well, or capitalise on riders under duress who weren't wanted elsewhere, getting riders of much higher prominence than he might otherwise have been able to acquire - Pellizotti, Scarponi, Sella, Rebellin, Mattia Gavazzi, Hondo - but now he's found much more profitability in signing up Latin American wonderkids to long term contracts and then pocketing the buyout fee when they're inevitably ready for the step up a year or two later.

Well, and Savio's new niche, now that the gentleman's agreement to not sign returning dopers is over (plus there are fewer high profile dopers being caught to pad this niche). Savio used to give returning riders a chance on the cheap to return and go well, or capitalise on riders under duress who weren't wanted elsewhere, getting riders of much higher prominence than he might otherwise have been able to acquire - Pellizotti, Scarponi, Sella, Rebellin, Mattia Gavazzi, Hondo - but now he's found much more profitability in signing up Latin American wonderkids to long term contracts and then pocketing the buyout fee when they're inevitably ready for the step up a year or two later.

Hmm, do you blame him for that (I'm genuinely not sure about that)? I think he's being pretty smart.

Hmm, do you blame him for that (I'm genuinely not sure about that)? I think he's being pretty smart.
Not in the slightest. Since the UCI changed the rules to hamstring ProConti teams to stop people getting the best of both worlds as Cervélo and BMC did in the late 00s-early 10s, it's been progressively more difficult to run a consistent, long-term team on a ProConti budget, and Savio's found a way to make it work, more power to him. I don't necessarily like what it means long term for the sport in terms of things like the Ivan Sosa contract shenanigans, but that isn't Savio's fault.

Reactions: tobydawq
Movistar photo of their team for la Vuelta. They're together for pre Vuelta training rides and I suspect their Vuelta bubble.

121821443_4907046425979967_3166993068599192554_o.jpg

Reactions: perico
Black bikes for Valverde, Mas and Soler. They are in for the 3 leaders game again.

Yes, 3 leaders. The difference this time is 3 leaders who actually get along with each other very well. Mas and Soler were friends before Mas joined the team and both get along very well with Valverde and value his advice. Mas has specifically said he values any racing KMs he can get with Valverde because there is so much he wants to learn. The bigger issue is what kind of form are they showing up with. However, until you mentioned it I hadn't realized the 3 of them had black bikes instead of blue ones.

If Mas has the same form trajectory here as in the tour we'll bein for the most dominant GT victory in decades :p

Valverde not quite there yet tho sadly :(

I'm not sure what Mas' peak is, heck not sure anyone actually is. However, today was a very good sign for Mas for fighting for the podium. Unfortunately Valverde's form is still off. He also said today the cold and rain that is very likely for much of this Vuelta is going to hurt him a lot. He made some comment that he thinks he's still capable of winning stages somewhere, but that it's time for him to switch to being a helper for Mas and basically ensure that Mas has everything he needs for the future.

If Valverde effectively is done, then who will be Movistar's GT contender besides Mas?
Up until last year they had Alejandro and Quintana (and Carapaz also), now they have Mas, but what about the next 2/3 years? Any young gun? Any hiring?
Soler isn't obviously an option to top-5, even top-10 is doubtful apart from a field like this year Giro.

TRENDING THREADS