• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Valverde effectively is done, then who will be Movistar's GT contender besides Mas?
Up until last year they had Alejandro and Quintana (and Carapaz also), now they have Mas, but what about the next 2/3 years? Any young gun? Any hiring?
Soler isn't obviously an option to top-5, even top-10 is doubtful apart from a field like this year Giro.

The big signing so far is Cortina, but he's a classics rider and sprinter.

If this Giro is saying anything about the young kids on the team there, then Samitier is the better option to Rubio.

Here's the big thing for them. If Mas proves this year he can do the Tour/Vuelta combo they'll be happy enough as they don't really care that much about the Giro and put much more into the Tour and Vuelta.

Reactions: lenric
I'm not sure what Mas' peak is, heck not sure anyone actually is. However, today was a very good sign for Mas for fighting for the podium. Unfortunately Valverde's form is still off. He also said today the cold and rain that is very likely for much of this Vuelta is going to hurt him a lot. He made some comment that he thinks he's still capable of winning stages somewhere, but that it's time for him to switch to being a helper for Mas and basically ensure that Mas has everything he needs for the future.

He’s another one with some legendary physiological testing. How it translates is anyone’s guess.

Reactions: ice&fire
Huge relief for Soler himself and also the team. Mas looks very strong, let's see what he will do tomorrow. It will be interesting to see the upcoming batallas between the three of Jumbo and the three of Movistar. Today Movistar should also thank their former employees Amador and Carapaz for weakening Jumbo (Dumoulin, Gesink k.o.)

Here's a picture from the hugs after the stage between the 3 Movistar leaders. Alejandro and Enric look genuinely happy Marc won. Alejandro looks almost like he's a proud father of the two youngsters having success.

122231671_3678882915484588_5100651265331972364_n.jpg

Superman gonna have an M on the jersey next year?

Surprising move from both parties given the negative relationship between Lopez and Movistar. Lopez has been linked to numerous teams for a while, i wonder why Movistar waited so long. Perhaps Valverde has declared that he will retire in 2021?
Budgetwise they will find each other, because Movistar has a big budget left with the departure of Landa and Quintana. And perhaps an even bigger budget if Valverde decides to retire.

Reactions: Koronin
If Valverde effectively is done, then who will be Movistar's GT contender besides Mas?
Up until last year they had Alejandro and Quintana (and Carapaz also), now they have Mas, but what about the next 2/3 years? Any young gun? Any hiring?
Soler isn't obviously an option to top-5, even top-10 is doubtful apart from a field like this year Giro.

For the next 2/3 years i hope they can lure Almeida (2022) in the way they have signed Mas: perspective of full leadership in most races and maybe also in a GT surrounded by strong support in the mountains. I can imagine Almeida will have less freedom with a Alaphilippe and Evenepoel in the same team. Let's not forget he would have been normally a lieutenant for Evenepoel in this year's Giro.

Reactions: perico and Koronin
Surprising move from both parties given the negative relationship between Lopez and Movistar. Lopez has been linked to numerous teams for a while, i wonder why Movistar waited so long. Perhaps Valverde has declared that he will retire in 2021?
Budgetwise they will find each other, because Movistar has a big budget left with the departure of Landa and Quintana. And perhaps an even bigger budget if Valverde decides to retire.

Not sure what the decrease in pay will be for Valverde when he switches from rider to (most likely) coach. He's actually under contract for 4 years after this one with only next year as definitely riding. The other 3 years are listed as To Be Announced. As for retiring next year or not, the last comment from Valverde on that one was ask me next year.

For the next 2/3 years i hope they can lure Almeida (2022) in the way they have signed Mas: perspective of full leadership in most races and maybe also in a GT surrounded by strong support in the mountains. I can imagine Almeida will have less freedom with a Alaphilippe and Evenepoel in the same team. Let's not forget he would have been normally a lieutenant for Evenepoel in this year's Giro.

Basically the same situation Mas was in at QS (exception being that Evenpoel had yet to overtake him in GC pecking order).

I can hear it now: “Almeida, You got a Top 5 in the Giro, if you want to be paid like a Top 5 TDF rider then finish in the Top 5 of our the TdF and then we’ll pay you a TDF contender salary.”

Of course 1 year later and despite a terrible buildup, Mas finishes in the Top 5 of the TDF, but he could see the writing on the wall. After last year, he wasn’t going to have the chance at the TDF to ride for the GC with the support needed to finish near the podium. The team would’ve worked for Julian after stage 2 with no help in the high mountains.

Not sure what the decrease in pay will be for Valverde when he switches from rider to (most likely) coach. He's actually under contract for 4 years after this one with only next year as definitely riding. The other 3 years are listed as To Be Announced. As for retiring next year or not, the last comment from Valverde on that one was ask me next year.
I don't think they will pay Valverde the coach same amount as Valverde the rider. He'll then be highest paid coach, or whatever, in cycling.
As for retirement, the last comment was before Vuelta, I have a feeling things are not going as he expected, so I would not be surprised at all if this is going to be his last race.

I don't think they will pay Valverde the coach same amount as Valverde the rider. He'll then be highest paid coach, or whatever, in cycling.
As for retirement, the last comment was before Vuelta, I have a feeling things are not going as he expected, so I would not be surprised at all if this is going to be his last race.

He has said in the past he will always honor his contract, so he'll race next year, however I suspect he won't race outside of Spain next year. He also made a comment before la Vuelta that you can't use anything from this season because it's so strange and that he is worried about not having results due to the circumstances of this year. Also right before the Vuelta started he made a comment that he changed "chips" to be a helper for his teammates, specifically Mas. Plus he seems to be happy right now. He's not currently as frustrated as he had been. No I don't think he'd be paid as a coach what he is as a rider, but also no idea what the pay cut will be either. He very well could end up the highest paid team staff member, but who knows.

Plus Valverde does a lot of promotion for Movistar itself (the company) so I would guess a large part of the post-riding contract is sponsorship-related. I would also be surprised if we don't get a farewell season to celebrate the legend's career.

That likely would mean it wouldn't be as big of a pay cut as that will continue to be part of what he's doing. This is part of why I think he races only in Spain. A way to say goodbye to his fans and the races he's been so successful in for the better part of 2 decades.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
From the sounds of it, Enric Mas like cold and rainy weather about as much as Valverde does.
Valverde is insisting he is there to support Mas and Soler. If something presents it's self he'll take it, but he's job is to do everything he can to provide Mas and Soler what they need to try and win the overall.

Here's more from the press conference today. From what they said, Marc had the best legs on Formigal and it was decided that he would try to gain some time on everyone else. More evidence that Marc and Ernic's friendship is very helpful as co-leaders.
Valverde makes an interesting comment where he says that winning stages are nice, but having 129 wins instead of 128 doesn't really make any significant difference. It sounds like he's more or less switched mindset to help his two young teammates whom he appears to have a great deal of confidence in.

TRENDING THREADS