• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pictures from today's stage of the boys joking around.

123191363_4957814104236532_2581248036886503558_o.jpg

123244206_4957814404236502_989178521585620562_o.jpg

Apparently, according to Pablo Lastras the team is racing for Enric Mas, HOWEVER, they have asked both Soler and Valverde to do whatever they can to stay as high in GC as they possibly can because they think that is one of the best ways to help Mas. So the reality is Soler and Valverde are not racing to win overall, but are racing for top 10 because that's what the team wants. So I guess we're back to the insanity of trying to have any idea of what the heck Movistar tactics actually are.

Apparently, according to Pablo Lastras the team is racing for Enric Mas, HOWEVER, they have asked both Soler and Valverde to do whatever they can to stay as high in GC as they possibly can because they think that is one of the best ways to help Mas. So the reality is Soler and Valverde are not racing to win overall, but are racing for top 10 because that's what the team wants. So I guess we're back to the insanity of trying to have any idea of what the heck Movistar tactics actually are.

Might as well have everyone race their own race and see what happens. Maybe one of them would surprise.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I mean the stage on Saturday, Movistar could really benefit from racing aggressively with Valverde and Soler on the previous climbs as they are hard and difficult to control, stranger things have happened in the past. Ineos isnt that strong in mountanious terrain, so that could be an opportunity to put pressure on and advance in the strandings.

I think theres no point for Movistar to commit 100% to Mas with Soler and Valverde in traditional helper roles, some riders are simply stronger than him.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
I mean the stage on Saturday, Movistar could really benefit from racing aggressively with Valverde and Soler on the previous climbs as they are hard and difficult to control, stranger things have happened in the past. Ineos isnt that strong in mountanious terrain, so that could be an opportunity to put pressure on and advance in the strandings.

I think theres no point for Movistar to commit 100% to Mas with Soler and Valverde in traditional helper roles, some riders are simply stronger than him.

Maybe it's the way it's worded because I don't disagree with you. It sounds like Soler and Valverde are supposed to both help Mas, but also race for themselves at the same time. So it becomes confusing. Who knows maybe that's part of the strategy, confuse the other teams?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Exactly. Movistar won't win race with the sole strength of Enric Mas, there are riders stronger then him. So they must win it with collective strength, and that's where Valverde and Soler are important. They will inevitably try to split the race and have one of them in front. And if that move succeeds one of them will likely be in red, or close...

To me this is a hidden message: we want to win the GC classification for teams yet again. Till now, the time they ( Soler and Valverde) have taken with their attacks, they have easily lost again on another occasion, so what's the benefit of staying as high in the GC? They want the teamsclassifcation.

I see Soler as more of a diesel climber who would be at his best at the Giro (a bit like Steven Kru).
Them playing the numbers game and keeping all 3 riders up there is fine, bringing the breakaway back on the last mountain stage was also fine. The problem is that after that they made the race hard on the climb early on. When you don't have the strongest climber that's not the best option, it actually hurt both Valverde and Soler and they couldn't use their numbers.

Reactions: Koronin
I dont think neither of them will be something great. The tragedy of Movistar was loosing Carapaz, who was gonna be the true leader of the team.

Carapaz signed with Ineos BEFORE allowing Movistar any chance to even negotiate with him. He had signed with Ineos before the Giro. Hence the entire blacklisting of his agent.

I see Soler as more of a diesel climber who would be at his best at the Giro (a bit like Steven Kru).
Them playing the numbers game and keeping all 3 riders up there is fine, bringing the breakaway back on the last mountain stage was also fine. The problem is that after that they made the race hard on the climb early on. When you don't have the strongest climber that's not the best option, it actually hurt both Valverde and Soler and they couldn't use their numbers.

The team really should know that. Valverde is a very good climber, but never one of the true top climbers and the climbs he's always had issues with are the ones which age started to show up about 3 years ago.

TRENDING THREADS