• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 119 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I had guessed he was in excellent shape by his explosive performance at the start of the race. I think Roglic will have to dig deep to win this race
He definitely will. I will surprised if Roglic doesnt ship time in Asturia, but the question will be too much. Jumbo seems completely disinterested in bonifications and pushing the lead further (kinda like 2020) and this could very well come back to haunt them because this Vuelta will be close.

He definitely will. I will surprised if Roglic doesnt ship time in Asturia, but the question will be too much. Jumbo seems completely disinterested in bonifications and pushing the lead further (kinda like 2020) and this could very well come back to haunt them because this Vuelta will be close.
Roglic won the 2020 Vuelta thanks to time bonuses. Today he outsprinted Mas for the time bonus. That's a stange way of being disinterested.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Carlos Verona basically is saying the team can't do anything with Roglic currently because of not having Valverde. They don't have enough firepower in the mountains to even try.

This is from his race report. (He does race report on facebook after every stage/race he's in):

Nos hubiera gustado recortar algo de tiempo a Roglic, pero siendo honestos, sin el Bala hemos perdido bastante potencial en la montaña y el Esloveno se está mostrando muy sólido. Habrá que tener un poquito de paciencia, pero la buena noticia es que Enric ha distanciado al resto de rivales y Superman ha mantenido a ralla al resto, así que creo que es un buen balance para el día brutal que hemos tenido, con 190kms, 4800mts de desnivel y muchísimo calor con temperaturas cercanas a los 40 grados, una locura de día, pero por suerte mañana hay descanso!!

English translation:

We would have liked to cut back some time to Roglic, but to be honest, without the Bala we've lost enough potential on the mountain and the Slovenian is showing very solid. We'll have to have a little patience, but the good news is Enric has distanced the rest of the rivals and Superman has kept the rest down, so I think it's a good balance for the brutal day we've had, with 190 kms, 4800 mts gap and lots of heat with temperatures close to 40 degrees, crazy day, but luckily tomorrow there's rest!!

Love them or hate them there is no denying these guys are undiluted entertainment, complete box office. I look forward to watching Lopez on a new team being shut down by the full Movistar team out of pure spite!

Judging by Lopez, Carapaz and Soler over the years every Movistar contract should come with a complimentary weekly psychiatrist meeting.

In fairness to Movistar I am enjoying watching Mas gain the confidence to make the occasional stab at an aggressive manoeuvre and I dont think I've seen him lose his cool even when his team are acting like headless chickens. He seems to be the Movistar rider that rides with intelligence and isn't asked to waste energy needlessly.

Love them or hate them there is no denying these guys are undiluted entertainment, complete box office. I look forward to watching Lopez on a new team being shut down by the full Movistar team out of pure spite!

Judging by Lopez, Carapaz and Soler over the years every Movistar contract should come with a complimentary weekly psychiatrist meeting.

In fairness to Movistar I am enjoying watching Mas gain the confidence to make the occasional stab at an aggressive manoeuvre and I dont think I've seen him lose his cool even when his team are acting like headless chickens. He seems to be the Movistar rider that rides with intelligence and isn't asked to waste energy needlessly.
Carapaz can only complain about not getting a salary rise after finishing 4th in the 2018 Giro even if his contract was due at the end of 2019. Movistar managed to put none less than Landa at his service during the 2019 Giro. So there go all the theories about Movistar unfairness towards their South-American riders.

If Movistar doesn't have a Psychologist on their payroll they really should consider hiring one.

Reactions: dusty red roads
2022 additions so far:
Oscar Rodriguez
Alex Aranburu
Gorka Izaguirre
Ivan Sosa
Ivan Romeo
Oier Lazkano

And Valverde officially will ride in 2022.

Gone: MAL
Soler

No word about the vets already on roster, but with Valverde returning, I’m pretty sure Irviti and Rojas will be here. No word on Cataldo.

With the progression of Abner and Rubio, things are looking solid. I will miss Soler though.

Last edited:
This is turning into a bit of an interesting precedent though. Might hurt Lizarte in the long run. This is two years running that a top young amateur gets promoted direct to the senior team (Abner last year), meanwhile Igor Arrieta, riding for Lizarte, at the same age and tbh more promising results as well as the son of a Movistar DS, goes to Kern Pharma. Having Kern Pharma as an intermediate stage of development is definitely a positive for them, and wards against situations like with Óscar Rodríguez and Sérgio Samitier where riders in their espoir system who are ready to step up but have no room to have to flee the nest, only for the team to then pay to bring them back later - but the flip side is that if riders going well in the amateur scene outside of the Abarcá family can leverage a step directly to the World Tour team, while riders within Lizarte are being funnelled through the Kern Pharma setup first, it might dissuade some riders from going into Movistar's setup as espoirs if they harbour expectations of going to the top level, as by staying outside of it and backing themselves they can get a potential ticket to jump the queue.

Of course, for some riders, doing a bunch of .PS and .1 races with a free hand might be better for them than serving their apprenticeship riding the northern Classics and the occasional smaller race as a domestique with Movistar, however.

Last edited:
This is turning into a bit of an interesting precedent though. Might hurt Lizarte in the long run. This is two years running that a top young amateur gets promoted direct to the senior team (Abner last year), meanwhile Igor Arrieta, riding for Lizarte, at the same age and tbh more promising results as well as the son of a Movistar DS, goes to Kern Pharma. Having Kern Pharma as an intermediate stage of development is definitely a positive for them, and wards against situations like with Óscar Rodríguez and Sérgio Samitier where riders in their espoir system who are ready to step up but have no room to have to flee the nest, only for the team to then pay to bring them back later - but the flip side is that if riders going well in the amateur scene outside of the Abarcá family can leverage a step directly to the World Tour team, while riders within Lizarte are being funnelled through the Kern Pharma setup first, it might dissuade some riders from going into Movistar's setup as espoirs if they harbour expectations of going to the top level, as by staying outside of it and backing themselves they can get a potential ticket to jump the queue.

Of course, for some riders, doing a bunch of .PS and .1 races with a free hand might be better for them than serving their apprenticeship riding the northern Classics and the occasional smaller race as a domestique with Movistar, however.

There are also going to be some riders, not matter how good physically, are going to need to go through the system mentally or emotionally for multiple reasons.

TRENDING THREADS