• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 125 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Half of the World is buying Saudi oil, and they're all ok with that, but somehow Movistar is disgusting for sponsorship with them.. :rolleyes:

One has nothing to do with the other.
But good to see that Movistar fans are already completely fine with it. Doesn't matter where the money comes from as long as the money actually comes in.

Obviously an indirect effect of the UCI trying to kill of every team that isn't sponsored by people with billions of dollars so with the situation Movistar was in earlier this year I understand why they were desperate for money but this football/F1 like trend to turn to partnerships with shady regimes is absolutely the opposite of what i want cycling to be so yes I don't like it.

Not sure if I'm missing something, but reading the article it doesn't seem like a classical sponsorship at all. Just to be clear, I don't like them dealing with the Saudis in any capacity, but the information in the announcement is really vague. So I think it's way too early to make assessments on how this cooperation might affect their budget.

Ofcourse they're getting a ton of money for it, there's just no way anyone would want to be affiliated with that regime if it wasn't for the money.

But good to see that Movistar fans are already completely fine with it. Doesn't matter where the money comes from as long as the money actually comes in.

Maybe you should not project one fan's comment on all the other fans. No-one else made any comment in that direction.

Of course they're getting a ton of money for it, there's just no way anyone would want to be affiliated with that regime if it wasn't for the money.

Of course, they are getting a good chunk of money. That's hardly debatable. I just wonder how the agreement really looks like. Movistar stays the main sponsor and they didn't even announce the Saudis as a co-sponsor yet. So far, they just announced some kind of cooperation. Which, no doubt, is pretty shady on its own.

Plus some would argue that oil is kinda essential in a way most professional cycling teams aren't

I understand Blanco's point. But I think that there is a difference between buying the oil from these states because its economically opportune (or even required for the lack of alternatives) for Western states and doing sponsorship deals with them to help them whitewash their image.

Reactions: Bolder and Samamba
You will not get anyone arguing with Gerry Ryan who has pumped around 150 million into cycling in Australia through Green Edge, under23's, Olympics or individual athletes - This doesn't take include the money pumped into Australian Rules Footy, Rugby League and Horse racing.
Horse racing being barbaric aside I’m not commenting on Gerry Ryan and what he’s done for cycling in Australia. What I’m commenting on is the highly questionable sponsorship choices made.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Horse racing being barbaric aside I’m not commenting on Gerry Ryan and what he’s done for cycling in Australia. What I’m commenting on is the highly questionable sponsorship choices made.

Well Gerry has partnered with Alula and previously Orica was a title sponsor of Green Edge - Nothing was said at the time about Orica - There are only X amount of sponsorship dollars available so choices have to be made.

Well Gerry has partnered with Alula and previously Orica was a title sponsor of Green Edge - Nothing was said at the time about Orica - There are only X amount of sponsorship dollars available so choices have to be made.
Things were said about Orica as a sponsor, I know you don’t care where money comes from to sponsor cycling but I think it’s pretty important.

• Wow
I think Gaviria may turn out to be an inspired addition. If he is back to his best (and he has looked very strong all week), he will take a lot of pressure off the rest of the squad. Hopefully they keep him happy and he will stay with them for the foreseeable future.

I think the biggest issue they're going to have is, they don't really have a leadout for him. I do hope he stays healthy this year as that will help a good bit.

Maybe you should not project one fan's comment on all the other fans. No-one else made any comment in that direction.

Of course, they are getting a good chunk of money. That's hardly debatable. I just wonder how the agreement really looks like. Movistar stays the main sponsor and they didn't even announce the Saudis as a co-sponsor yet. So far, they just announced some kind of cooperation. Which, no doubt, is pretty shady on its own.
Maybe the Saudi's took the time to watch the Movistar Netflix disfunction and wanted to lay low. More money can't fix that.

I think Gaviria may turn out to be an inspired addition. If he is back to his best (and he has looked very strong all week), he will take a lot of pressure off the rest of the squad. Hopefully they keep him happy and he will stay with them for the foreseeable future.

All Fernando needs to do is actually train and ride his bike and take responsibility and not blame team mates when he doesn't win.

Reactions: Koronin and perico
I think the biggest issue they're going to have is, they don't really have a leadout for him.
before the start of today's Trofeo, Cortina said they are likely to sprint with both, him and Kanter, to not make the same mistake of missing out on potential points as last year.

It may be a bit of a different story when Gaviria is around, but he also said that he only needs one guy for the final 5k, so I guess we won't see too many real leadout attempts.

before the start of today's Trofeo, Cortina said they are likely to sprint with both, him and Kanter, to not make the same mistake of missing out on potential points as last year.

It may be a bit of a different story when Gaviria is around, but he also said that he only needs one guy for the final 5k, so I guess we won't see too many real leadout attempts.

Yet again the UCI points system is rewarding mediocrity as opposed to winning - For both to sprint only makes sense if there is a small group.

That's why Sagan was on his wheel, albeit a little late in Stage 4. Realistically though, bigger GT races will need better leadout support. The combination of Remco and WVA squads cranking the last 10km will tax any unsupported finisher. The front 30 guys in those races can maintain lockdown speeds.

If he can get back to that level of 16-18, hes definitely one of the best if not the best sprinter in the world. Might be a bargain!

Question is if hes gonna ride TdF. With Valverde off the squad and only one real leader in Mas, I can see Movistar going to the Tour with both Mas and Gaviria. Should be doable, but I have no idea what the plan actually is. Im intrigued about how he will do in the classics, early on in his career I felt like he would be a big star in those races, but it hasnt really resulted in anything so far. Roubaix in theory be a great race for him.

TRENDING THREADS