• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team NTT Pro Cycling Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
NTT is the 5th biggest company in Japan, the 55th on the Forbes Global list, the 4th biggest telecommunications company in the world.

It's not that they can't afford it, and I doubt telecommunications has been particularly hard hit in the pandemic year, so have they said that they are dissatisfied with the level of exposure, or did they only ever want to take one year as a concession to Dimension Data on absorbing them, or are they fed up of machinations within the team management, or what?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I suggest only 5 to 7 riders from NTT will be at the WT level
That's harsh. They have at least around 10 riders who clearly deserve a WT contract.

Valgren, Gibbons, O'Connor and Ghebreigzabhier have already secured WT contracts for 2021. De Bod, Mader, Batistella, Sobrero and Meintjes have already been linked to a specific WT team in rumours. That's 9 riders already and it's hard to imagine that between Hagen, Campenaerts, Nizzolo, Kreuziger, Walscheid, Gogl and Pozzovivo there won't be a single WT signing.

This post has made me realise how much talent there was in this team compared to how little they've achieved in the past couple of years.

That's harsh. They have at least around 10 riders who clearly deserve a WT contract.

Valgren, Gibbons, O'Connor and Ghebreigzabhier have already secured WT contracts for 2021. De Bod, Mader, Batistella, Sobrero and Meintjes have already been linked to a specific WT team in rumours. That's 9 riders already and it's hard to imagine that between Hagen, Campenaerts, Nizzolo, Kreuziger, Walscheid, Gogl and Pozzovivo there won't be a single WT signing.

This post has made me realise how much talent there was in this team compared to how little they've achieved in the past couple of years.

I doubt I'll be that far off the mark - A number will ride at Pro-Conti Level.

Reactions: BlueRoads
NTT is the 5th biggest company in Japan, the 55th on the Forbes Global list, the 4th biggest telecommunications company in the world.

It's not that they can't afford it, and I doubt telecommunications has been particularly hard hit in the pandemic year, so have they said that they are dissatisfied with the level of exposure, or did they only ever want to take one year as a concession to Dimension Data on absorbing them, or are they fed up of machinations within the team management, or what?

Telecom companies seem to be some of the few that didn't suffer much during the pandemic. However, I'm still not fully sure what they get out of sponsoring a pro cycling team. I never did figure out what Sky got out of it, and still haven't figured out what Movistar/Telefonica gets out of their sponsorship.

Telecom companies seem to be some of the few that didn't suffer much during the pandemic. However, I'm still not fully sure what they get out of sponsoring a pro cycling team. I never did figure out what Sky got out of it, and still haven't figured out what Movistar/Telefonica gets out of their sponsorship.
I assume that cycling is important part of Movistar's PR in Latin America, where they generate almost half of their global revenues. Not mentioning impact on their Spanish market. As an illustration, you may particularly like the cover of their most recent quarterly magazine for shareholders ;)

9085cd0f-b9b2-1d5e-6af1-42ad32033b18

I would also assume that Sky got great PR return in the UK from its sponsorship. For NTT I am not sure and Armchair is probably right that it was just because of their acquisition of Dimension Data.

I assume that cycling is important part of Movistar's PR in Latin America, where they generate almost half of their global revenues. Not mentioning impact on their Spanish market. As an illustration, you may particularly like the cover of their most recent quarterly magazine for shareholders ;)

9085cd0f-b9b2-1d5e-6af1-42ad32033b18

I would also assume that Sky got great PR return in the UK from its sponsorship. For NTT I am not sure and Armchair is probably right that it was just because of their acquisition of Dimension Data.

I'm not sure sure Sky got much return as as soon as Comcast bought out Sky and did their overview the cycling sponsorship was immediately ended while the kept the Cricket sponsorship. That shows the return couldn't have been very high.

I'm still not convinced the return is very high for Movistar either. I also suspect that the Movistar sponsorship has more to do with their cell service than the rest of their products, which in the US cell service is typically the telecom companies that get involved in sports sponsorship due to a finite product they are advertising.

Telefonica also a year or so go ended the Movistar moto gp (or whatever Europe's version is called) sponsorship.

LOL, I knew there was a reason I should have bought some stock in Telefonica.

I certainly hope they won't waste a ridiculously valuable WorldTour spot for that team.

If they do, this'll endanger the vast majority of Conti Pro structures.

Arkea-Samsic woke up to this bad news for them, and for B&B-Vital Concept and Direct-Energie.
if NTT stays world tour there are 19 teams. Alpecin getting a spot as top pro-conti team, and surely Arkea getting a wild card with Quintana and Barguil. the last TDF spot will be between Direct-Energie and B&B.

I hope Alpecin skips both Giro and Vuelta, and maybe NTT with a team saved last-minute does the same too.

Nobody needs this Barloworld 2.0 team. Why can't they just finally fold and dissappear?
They should just go out with a big-bang by signing Betancur as their minimum-wage GC rider and Cav as there deluxe-free sprinter before failing to field any riders other than Pozzo and CampyNarts at early 2021 races. Finally give up the ghost after a twig-like Betancur shows up for the Tour only to get disqualified after stage 1 for barging into TeeJayVG in the feed zone, and Cav fails to make the time cut.

So they might survive but have a team of pro-level at best?
Will they even have that? Ben King's gone to Rally rather than wait around for Ryder to clear up the sponsor.

Oop. And Meintjes is gone to Wanty;

When your best riders are leaving to go to Pro and Conti level teams, it's not a good sign.

Last edited:
  • Wow