• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team NTT Pro Cycling Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In addition to a buttload of riders, they might have to get some new staff members too. Riis is gone, and Lars Bak has just been named the manager of the new Uno-X women's team. Lars Michaelsen is staying on by the looks of it, but given that it will be hard to recreate the work, he did at Astana, I could understand if he wanted to move on as well. But it's probably not easy to find a new job as a DS right now either.

In addition to a buttload of riders, they might have to get some new staff members too. Riis is gone, and Lars Bak has just been named the manager of the new Uno-X women's team. Lars Michaelsen is staying on by the looks of it, but given that it will be hard to recreate the work, he did at Astana, I could understand if he wanted to move on as well. But it's probably not easy to find a new job as a DS right now either.

Really no problem for any WT team to find a new DS. The CN forum is full of candidates.

Whats the best they can do at this point in time?

Atm, they have Max Walscheid, Domenico Pozzovivo, Andreas Stokbro, Michael Gogl, Dylan Sunderland, and Victor Campenaerts, and seems Carlos Barbero. I'd imagine they'll keep van Rensburg, Dlamini and Thomson, so they're up to 10.

Out of who's available on PCS, and what I assume is a small budget, I'd assume they'll look to bring back Nizzolo, and I think they should make a play for Cav just cos of the media exposure he brings. After that Simon Clarke is still available and would be a good signing, Mader would be excellent to resign, someone like Marezcko will pick up wins in lower races for them,

If they added those 5, and then rounded out with maybe guys like Vandenbergh, Van Keirsbulck, Dyball, Narvaez (if not going back to Ineos), Barta etc they might be able to pull a salvageable team together

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98

Atm, they have Max Walscheid, Domenico Pozzovivo, Andreas Stokbro, Michael Gogl, Dylan Sunderland, and Victor Campenaerts, and seems Carlos Barbero. I'd imagine they'll keep van Rensburg, Dlamini and Thomson, so they're up to 10.

Out of who's available on PCS, and what I assume is a small budget, I'd assume they'll look to bring back Nizzolo, and I think they should make a play for Cav just cos of the media exposure he brings. After that Simon Clarke is still available and would be a good signing, Mader would be excellent to resign, someone like Marezcko will pick up wins in lower races for them,

If they added those 5, and then rounded out with maybe guys like Vandenbergh, Van Keirsbulck, Dyball, Narvaez (if not going back to Ineos), Barta etc they might be able to pull a salvageable team together
That's a Pro Conti team. They should also be going for Jay Mccarthy unless he's been extended by Bora or signed by someone else and I've not heard

You were right about Barbero, Dlamini, Nizzolo and Clarke. However, Marezcko is going to Vini Zabu, and Barta to EF, while Vandenbergh is retiring. Then they also got Sean Bennett, Claeys, Frankiny, K. Vacek, and Wisniowski.

The Qhubeka development team seems to have been saved for at least another year.
As long as they can continue to develop African cyclists and something good for the local communities, I don't really care much for the WT team anyway.

The Qhubeka development team seems to have been saved for at least another year.
As long as they can continue to develop African cyclists and something good for the local communities, I don't really care much for the WT team anyway.

In recent years they almost had more Italian than African riders on that team...

In recent years they almost had more Italian than African riders on that team...

They're registered in Italy, and I think conti-teams are automatically registered in the country from which they have the most riders.
Of course, I don't know which came first: Are they registered in Italy, because they have majority of Italian riders? Or, do they have a majority of Italian riders because they - for one reason or another - wants to be registered in Italy?

On Tuttobici a couple of days ago there was an article saying that all the secondary sponsors, like Mercedes, Assos, BMC, have already committed for three more years, they "only" need a naming sponsor to contribute for half of the costs.

"BMC-Mercedes" would be a pretty good name for a bike team, though. Otoh, it might be a bit confusing to explain to people that this "Team BMC" has nothing to do with the old "Team BMC".
"BMC 2.1"?

I appreciate the team but what's the point of saving it?
They did the same last year: couldn't find a sponsor, finally one came onboard late but at that point every decent rider had already signed with a team (apart from Nizzolo, but not this year), so they had a very weak roster, no results, and sponsors understandably are skeptical to back them up.

Why should it be different this time?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I appreciate the team but what's the point of saving it?
They did the same last year: couldn't find a sponsor, finally one came onboard late but at that point every decent rider had already signed with a team (apart from Nizzolo, but not this year), so they had a very weak roster, no results, and sponsors understandably are skeptical to back them up.

Why should it be different this time?

If they fold, that's a whole pile of people - and not just riders, a good chunk of those will probably get a contract elsewhere, but also staff-members - who risk unemployment.

TRENDING THREADS