• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Optum: A Model for the Future?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sniper said:
agreed.

I do think the sounds coming from Optum are refreshing. No hollow BS about how everybody stopped doping in 2006, or how the passport allows them to win GTs clean.

I like this quote from the article:

it sums up what Garmin don't have.
Even disregarding Vaughters himself, the fact they hung on to the likes of Weltz, Lim and White is not reconcilable with anything they pretend to be.

Really this is simple

Either you believe Tom Zirbel finished 4th in the Worlds riding clean and his positive test was a result of being spiked

or

Optum promote the same type of talk that Garmin do except maybe even worse? We don't hire dirty riders(talk) but actually we do(reality).

pmcg76 said:
Really this is simple

Either you believe Tom Zirbel finished 4th in the Worlds riding clean and his positive test was a result of being spiked

or

Optum promote the same type of talk that Garmin do except maybe even worse? We don't hire dirty riders(talk) but actually we do(reality).

TZ definitely had the wattage and talent to do that ride! most who really know him think he was framed.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dave, be generous. Svein was a fellow Canuck on the podium of the worlds chrono. I remember the tales or him riding from Vancouver BC down to SoCal and being a pro in Norcal, just on his city bike, and him camping out in a trailer. *

It is a gestalt of Bjarne barney Riis CSC Overcoming documentary, and Gordonstoun Scottish public school, but dont you tell the empire crew, the empire crew think they have exclusivity over Gordonstoun, and muscular christianity.

Svein even hauled that trailer on his city-bike. If the road was rough, he swapped his city-bike for a mtb fat tire. and put the city-bike back in the trailer. but canuck mtb'ers dont dope, never did. then riding back to Ontario to ride for Symmetrics.

Svein was on the podium at Championships de Monde. deductive TZ, not DZ, Tommy Zee, also, cleans. capital S, cleans.

Svein was so strong and spent so long with his nose in the wind, he almost single handedly changed the name of the team to Asymmetrics. And crashed the software in the millenium bug failed to crash.

Svein "Asymmetrics" T-dawg.

asymmetrics t-dawg ftw

D-Queued said:
Ooooh boy. Let's not go there.

Dave.

While I would tend to give many of the Symmetrics guys the benefit of the doubt, I have never believed Zirbel's story. Even though he seems to have plenty of clean buddies to vouch for him.

He is a shadow of the rider he was before his suspension.

Let's go there. Let's totally go there.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
...Witch hunt. Wiki defense. Vanishing twins. The French. Drunken mice. Fairness Fund. Let Levi Ride. Backdated TUEs. Monkey Face ...

Oooh boy.

Dave.
Wooki defense. Chewbacca defense.

newspeak orwell bernays burston marstellar dbrower Dr Baker Judge Hue capture professionals SEC #hashtags the absurd

mccormack and public strategies missed this brief. so so so doleful missing the brief.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
IzzyStradlin said:
While I would tend to give many of the Symmetrics guys the benefit of the doubt, I have never believed Zirbel's story. Even though he seems to have plenty of clean buddies to vouch for him.

He is a shadow of the rider he was before his suspension.

Let's go there. Let's totally go there.

He was arond 31? when he got the ban right, anounced his retirement..
Devestaded by his circumstances would he have the energy to keep up training for top level? and why do so if he was genuinely retiring at the time? Then perhaps by impulse decide to come back to racing 18 monts later around age 33...
Would it not make sense to have a natural and significant decline in ability under these circumstances..?

Now I'am not necessarily say'n he didn't dope...
I know it's a common excuse he alluded to.
Only questioning the reasoning in the bolded statement..

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
mrhender said:
He was arond 31? when he got the ban right, anounced his retirement..
Devestaded by his circumstances would he have the energy to keep up training for top level? and why do so if he was genuinely retiring at the time? Then perhaps by impulse decide to come back to racing 18 monts later around age 33...
Would it not make sense to have a natural and significant decline in ability under these circumstances..?

Now I'am not necessarily say'n he didn't dope...
I know it's a common excuse he alluded to.
Only questioning the reasoning in the bolded statement..
what excuse was that?
I think he's saying he doesn't know how it came into his body.
I don't think he used the "I got framed" as a actual public defense line, did he?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usada-ends-tom-zirbels-suspension-early

As to the reduction he got from USADA, anybody know which two cases he helped them with?

"My substantial assistance amounted to me putting USADA in touch with a person who had incriminating knowledge about an athlete who USADA was building a case against. And I actually did this in two separate cases that USADA was or is pursuing.

mewmewmew13 said:
Agree or not with the comments just another trolling thread just like the Sky bot thread .

You think so?

Some really good points in this thread. All the better given that the thread sprang from an enthusiastic reporter's enthusiastic slant.

Godwin's law (Clinic variation) will ultimately take over, of course.

Dave.

mewmewmew13 said:
Agree or not with the comments just another trolling thread just like the Sky bot thread .

I think there are some very good points and debate in this thread as well. It relates not just to Optum but any team. What can you do to prove you are clean if you do not have the budget to do internal testing or such things?