• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Samruk-Kazyna

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It's another sponsor, but the team will continue to be named Astana. Just as last season they had quite a few major sponsors, yet the name was Astana.

Just as Katusha has a few extra sponsors next year but it's still Katusha.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
It's another sponsor, but the team will continue to be named Astana. Just as last season they had quite a few major sponsors, yet the name was Astana.

Just as Katusha has a few extra sponsors next year but it's still Katusha.

Don't confuse him.

A

Anonymous

I think they'll be good

I believe they'll use the new name, and I hope they change colors and design for the kit as well.
I think the sense of doom comes from months of obstacles and challenges. Radio Shack cleaned out all the riders they wanted, including every member of the 2009 Tour de France squad not named Contador. They got the management except for Sean Yates who went to Sky and apparently staff that would include mechanics and infrastructure. Bruyneel owns the vehicles. It seems the people running the website & twitter are pro-Shack.
While other teams were filling their rosters, Bruyneel was recruiting for the new team, and Astana didn't have a leader to sign people. And every day Bruyneel insisted on staying delayed recruiting, and more quality riders signed elsewhere.. Rini Wagtmans worked hard, but they didn't want the leader he chose. The UCI got involved. Contador wanted to leave and there was nothing left to save.
Then Yvon Sanquer and Martinelli were hired and went to town recruiting. They still had to face uncertainty about their license and Contador. Martinelli has won Alberto over with a number of visits, including at least one to his home, where he pointed out the four names on the Giro trophy he helped win. They recruited De la Fuentes at his request, and started adding others. Oscar Pereiro could be a great addition.
So basically, Team Sky had two years to build their team from scratch. Radio Shack took over everything they wanted from an established team, including half of the riders, and added others.
Except for some returning riders, mostly the Kazakhs, Samruk Kazyna is starting from scratch. They need to buy everything, and have riders who don't have experience with each other. But the bright side is, they're there to support Contador. Instead of going into races as favorites, they need to fight for everything and prove themselves, to each other and the world, like the Bad News Bears or Mighty Ducks. I can't wait to watch.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
They got the management except for Sean Yates who went to Sky and apparently staff that would include mechanics and infrastructure. Bruyneel owns the vehicles. It seems the people running the website & twitter are pro-Shack.

Rini Wagtmans worked hard, but they didn't want the leader he chose.

As part of the separation agreemenet b/w Bruyneel and the Kaz. Fed, the KCF kept some of the team infrasrtructutre.

I believe it was Rini Wagtmans was who signed the releases for Zubeldia, Kloden, Popovich and Rast.

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I think the team will last longer than radioshack, the kazakhs have an interest to develop cycling in kazakhstan, as long as the money is good they will keep building a team. will it be as powerful as before I doubt it but they have a long term interest in cycling, not a short term interest in a cyclist