• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Saxo Bank with a new bank co-sponsor?

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
The future of cycling is as bright as its recent past.

You can say and think what you like, but this team was one of the few bright sparks in the right direction, unlike all the virtually nationally sponsored and politically motivated success teams.

A little less naivety to the realities of politically motivated sport goes a long way to understanding the reality of what were are served.

Dazed and Confused said:
ok, so what now? Will Tinkov beef up the cobbles team for '14? I mean the Breschel-Bennati angle doesn't seem too dangerous.

Add Flecha for a year just to increase exposure?
Any winners around?
I hope this will mean a Menchov comeback, and that Cobo will stay on the world tour. Yes, I was a Geox fan:p

For the cobbles, I am not so sure, if there is a lot of unemployed winners around.. Flecha is anything but I guess.

Would sign Samu if I had spare money on the budget, he could provide some victories, that would be useful for Riis. Not sure it will be good for the Tinkov- Riis relationship, if the team's victory rate will be as low as last season.

Samson777 said:
I hope this will mean a Menchov comeback, and that Cobo will stay on the world tour. Yes, I was a Geox fan:p

For the cobbles, I am not so sure, if there is a lot of unemployed winners around.. Flecha is anything but I guess.

Would sign Samu if I had spare money on the budget, he could provide some victories, that would be useful for Riis. Not sure it will be good for the Tinkov- Riis relationship, if the team's victory rate will be as low as last season.

Samu won one race last year: a stage in CdD. Why would he win lots of races next year? Waste of money considering the setup of the team imo.

If the team wants loads of wins they must sign a tier 1 bunch sprinter, an uphill ace or a TT star. No other way to get "easy" wins and it would seem noone are available.

Are the team relevant in key races? The answer to that should drive investments imo.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
ok, so what now? Will Tinkov beef up the cobbles team for '14? I mean the Breschel-Bennati angle doesn't seem too dangerous.

Add Flecha for a year just to increase exposure?
Any winners around?

no. he is going to bring more russians to saxo tinkoff. So whoever Russian cyclist out there, we might know their name soon. And eventually, rogers, roche, kreuziger and contador will probably leave either before their term ends (hint: contador) or after their term. Who wants to work with loose canon owner? Not winning, you'll hear he'll bashing you via twitter. He can pick and choose who he wants to buy. God knows what he might buy out Porte after his term done. :D:D (no way he'll stay with sky if porte can win Giro. He wants his tdf shot)

Dazed and Confused said:
Samu won one race last year: a stage in CdD. Why would he win lots of races next year? Waste of money considering the setup of the team imo.

If the team wants loads of wins they must sign a tier 1 bunch sprinter, an uphill ace or a TT star. No other way to get "easy" wins and it would seem noone are available.

Are the team relevant in key races? The answer to that should drive investments imo.
I think Tinkov would like lods of wins, he stated that during last season anyway. Samu still have something I believe, and at this point, he can not be very expensive.
If he gets another program, where he perhaps target one week races and some one day races. Or just focus on being a stage hunter, instead of killing himself in the Giro mountains and so on, I am pretty sure Riis would be able to get more than 1 victory from Samu.. But of course, he is not a winning machine, but as you say, not a lot of them out there.

But it all depends what Tinkov wants, if he knows. Or what Riis wants, Tinkov did say today that he would only make "suggestions" regarding the riders to be signed. But Riis would have the final word.

Jelantik said:
no. he is going to bring more russians to saxo tinkoff. So whoever Russian cyclist out there, we might know their name soon. And eventually, rogers, roche, kreuziger and contador will probably leave either before their term ends (hint: contador) or after their term. Who wants to work with loose canon owner? Not winning, you'll hear he'll bashing you via twitter. He can pick and choose who he wants to buy. God knows what he might buy out Porte after his term done. :D:D (no way he'll stay with sky if porte can win Giro. He wants his tdf shot)

Porte vs Froome at the tour '15?

Porte will be ridiculously expensive after May next year imo.