• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky Saving the Rainforest!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ahahahah Dim are you seriously saying Sky News is less biased than the BBC? Did you WATCH the election debates? Get the **** out of here.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Before sky we had four channels mostly showing soap operas, music shows, chat shows and the occasional documentary. Sky brought us countless documentary channels, biography channels, history channels, excellent news coverage (Which is far less bias than the BBC). If anything i would say my general knowledge and intelligence has been increased by Sky TV (ive been a subscriber since original launch).

Whatever next, we have issues with newspapers, television, hollywood, sitcom producers, reality tv makers etc. Goodness me.

As said before, if we have issues with Sky then have issues with QS because the floor in one of the other forum members house was dodgy, have issues with garmin because someones 605 edge broke.. blimey

and sky have been involved with various conservation projects for years, its regularly listed in their magazine etc schemes you can donate to. They just happen to be using the obvious publicity the team will get in the ToB to push it one step further.

I don't wish to be cruel but this is one of the most naïve posts I've seen awhile, you are truly one of Murdoch's children ;)

A

Anonymous

Jamsque said:
Ahahahah Dim are you seriously saying Sky News is less biased than the BBC? Did you WATCH the election debates? Get the **** out of here.

I think the bbc are awful. The election debates where great but by far the best one for me was the sky one. The presentation was better, the host was infinately better. the trouble with the bbc is because they are public they are forced into treating the bnp with respect etc, sky dont have to do that, they can tell it how it is. I find sky more honest than the bbc who have a tendancy to gloss.

Anyway, this is about the shirts. they are giving the wwf some publicity, trying to raise some money, why is everyone on their case.

A

Anonymous

Machu Picchu said:
I don't wish to be cruel but this is one of the most naïve posts I've seen awhile, you are truly one of Murdoch's children ;)

In YOUR opinion, an opinion to which you are entitled, as I am to mine. I dont give a monkeys about murdoch, it was one of his papers accused the fans at hillsborough of robbing dead bodies i hate him as much as the next guy (even if he doesnt own sky), but, i do like decent quality tv and ive found sky to always produce that. And i choose to pay. I begrudge being forced to pay the BBC for a pile of drivel that they produce.

AS said in another thread, whatever next. I stop supporting american riders because america supports the death penalty and the illegal invasion of iraq. For me that is far worse than anything sky have ever done or ever will do. BUt i recognise the riders, staff etc involved at garmin, and the people who own transitions etc did not directly authorise the invasion of iraq.

Maybe i am one of murdochs children (whatever that is) but then i also think that Tony Blair was a worse pm than Thatcher, which most people disagree with. :D

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Apparently the latest craze is for people to remove Tony Blairs Autobiography from the Chart section of bookshops and place into the crime section.. I approve of such action. :)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Dimspace, not only have you made me lose all the respect I had for you, you have actually made me feel ashamed to support Team Sky.

Thanks.

craig1985 said:
Just like FC Barcelona and the their partnership with Unicef. A very good PR move by them, despite the fact that the club is full of bunch of tossers (doesn't mean I don't think they are great to watch).

Good point Craig about the Barca unicef. I always get sick listening to the commentators say about how benevolent Barcelona is because 1 they have a deal with Unicef and 2 they are supposedly the main representation of the Catalan independence movement. Which is strange considering half their players arent catalan, and the argument should therefore follow that Real Madrid represents evil, as the embodyment of the Franco dictatorship.

Also i notice that in line with this unicef deal messi became a UNICEF goodwill ambassador. They flew over a bunch of African and Asian kids to the Nou Camp, and after a training session, Messi walked over took a few pictures and became a UNICEF goodwill ambassador. Kind of an insult to those who do not get payed £250 000 a week + sponsorships, who devote what little they do have to flying off to war zones and famined areas to help locals. If Un wants to keep this idiotic term and keep giving it to celebrities, giving 60% of your salary should be a prerequisit to becoming a Un goodwill ambassador.

I once heard someone say. "A UN goodwill ambassador is one of these bizzare confections, which doesnt change much, other than perhaps the definition of goodwill"

Damn right.

TeamSkyFans said:
I think the bbc are awful. The election debates where great but by far the best one for me was the sky one. The presentation was better, the host was infinately better. the trouble with the bbc is because they are public they are forced into treating the bnp with respect etc, sky dont have to do that, they can tell it how it is. I find sky more honest than the bbc who have a tendancy to gloss.

Anyway, this is about the shirts. they are giving the wwf some publicity, trying to raise some money, why is everyone on their case.

Sorry dim but it seems the cheap sky tactics worked on you. THey had better presentation:cool:. So what a preferable colour background, better camera zoom in action and a few nice pictures makes it the better "debate"?

Better host? Sky have realised that all that is really needed is name and face recognition. Its what works in america where people like Sean Penn, baldwin etc get invited onto the main political programmes because people recognise their face. This is what sky have done with Bolton. They have taken someone who has no skills whatsoever, but made his face recognisable and called him a "political expert". He then interviews politicians by reading questions of a sheet/ being told through an earpeace. Its also testament to how seriously Sky news treat all this that Boltons main job is usually to interview celebrities (always fawningly) rather than politicians.

I dont know who did the bbc debate though im guessing it was paxman, but either way the chair would have by default been better.

Also to call the things a debate is in my opinion wrong. In a debate you have more than a few minutes to make your point, you are allowed to argue with your opponents, you arent cut off by the "chair" because programme schedule requires it, or because you have taken longer than 40 second on your soundbite and it doesnt matter how you look into the camera or what your haircut is like. Also you shouldnt have ridiculous opinion polls published minutes after, judging the candidates on soundbites and look.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Better host? Sky have realised that all that is really needed is name and face recognition. Its what works in america where people like Sean Penn, baldwin etc get invited onto the main political programmes because people recognise their face. This is what sky have done with Bolton. They have taken someone who has no skills whatsoever, but made his face recognisable and called him a "political expert". He then interviews politicians by reading questions of a sheet/ being told through an earpeace. Its also testament to how seriously Sky news treat all this that Boltons main job is usually to interview celebrities (always fawningly) rather than politicians.

Adam Boulton has been Sky's political editor for over ten years and he's been a political journalist for 25 years. I doubt there's anyone more qualified at Sky than him to have hosted it.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
Apparently the latest craze is for people to remove Tony Blairs Autobiography from the Chart section of bookshops and place into the crime section.. I approve of such action. :)

Have you read Christopher Hitchens on Blair, the Iraq war etc?

Mambo95 said:
Adam Boulton has been Sky's political editor for over ten years and he's been a political journalist for 25 years. I doubt there's anyone more qualified at Sky than him to have hosted it.

The people who tell him through the earpeace what to say;)

Maybe he was a journalist once, but being the face of a 24 hour news network, and one run by newscorp at that, has probably taken its toll.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Also i notice that in line with this unicef deal messi became a UNICEF goodwill ambassador. They flew over a bunch of African and Asian kids to the Nou Camp, and after a training session, Messi walked over took a few pictures and became a UNICEF goodwill ambassador. Kind of an insult to those who do not get payed £250 000 a week + sponsorships, who devote what little they do have to flying off to war zones and famined areas to help locals. If Un wants to keep this idiotic term and keep giving it to celebrities, giving 60% of your salary should be a prerequisit to becoming a Un goodwill ambassador.

I once heard someone say. "A UN goodwill ambassador is one of these bizzare confections, which doesnt change much, other than perhaps the definition of goodwill"

Did you know that Nicolas Cage is a UN goodwill ambassador for the UNODC, the UN Office for drugs and crime? Rather ironic given that Cage has millions of debt, owns about 25 cars and a couple of castles, and featured in the movie "Lord of War". The UN flies him around everywhere in business class so he can visit prisons in Africa and stuff. Somehow the UN always manages to show itself in a bad light.

Hawkwood said:
I like his take on a number of things including religion, and politics.

Well for those who have interest in such things hear is the man himself speaking about the war http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMYril-QY8

debate about the war with a high profile opponent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU45ioYvx4k

and considering more issues, speech about Jefferson, Iraq, politics, history and religion combined with stand up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=726ouK-ytSw&feature=PlayList&p=C3CA5B5C2837D247&index=0&playnext=1

Vonn Brinkman said:
Did you know that Nicolas Cage is a UN goodwill ambassador for the UNODC, the UN Office for drugs and crime? Rather ironic given that Cage has millions of debt, owns about 25 cars and a couple of castles, and featured in the movie "Lord of War". The UN flies him around everywhere in business class so he can visit prisons in Africa and stuff. Somehow the UN always manages to show itself in a bad light.

I didnt know that. The list of UN goodwill ambasssadors is very long. Most of them dont do anything. If only the Un spent less time recruiting actors and rappers and more time actually trying to do something about conflicts. especially Unicef which has a poor record regarding child slavery in north west africa

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Did someone say Kay Burley?

On election night I was at a party and we had BBC, ITV and Sky News all on three TVs. The bias Sky News was showing was more obvious than the other two channels.

Jamsque said:

Which was are Skynews biased out of interest?

I know at least 2 of their senior political correspondants are card carrying Labour members.

As ever in life, people will see bias whenever someone disagrees with them. To Liberals and metropolitan Labour voters, I'm sure the BBC feels like it plays everything with a straight bat.

A

Anonymous

Jamsque said:
Dimspace, not only have you made me lose all the respect I had for you, you have actually made me feel ashamed to support Team Sky.

Thanks.

which is exactly why we should never discuss politics, sex or religion on a CYCLING forum :D

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Well for those who have interest in such things hear is the man himself speaking about the war http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMYril-QY8

debate about the war with a high profile opponent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU45ioYvx4k

and considering more issues, speech about Jefferson, Iraq, politics, history and religion combined with stand up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=726ouK-ytSw&feature=PlayList&p=C3CA5B5C2837D247&index=0&playnext=1

Great clips, suppose I'd better get back to some work!

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I didnt know that. The list of UN goodwill ambasssadors is very long. Most of them dont do anything. If only the Un spent less time recruiting actors and rappers and more time actually trying to do something about conflicts. especially Unicef which has a poor record regarding child slavery in north west africa

The problem is that the UN can do very little in practicality.
\
But anyway, lets take this all back to a more cycling topic, rather than a general politics topic?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
So when we watch the sky channel on tv, we use electricity, which burns coal (green house gas emisions), which is bad for environment, which sky are trying to save trees for the health of the envirionment. Seems odd.

The Hitch said:
Let me ask you this. Do yout think animal rights protesters protest outside Mcdonalds because they are unhappy with the taste of the mc chicken burger, or because they dont like the tactics Mcdonalds employs. Will they change their mind if you tell them "if you dont like Mcdonalds dont buy it?"

Lads, this is about a bloody cycling jersey! ACF94, try dipping your quill in the inkpot and writing on your computer screen. You would save electricity and save us from reading such crap.

TeamSkyFans said:
As said before, if we have issues with Sky then have issues with QS because the floor in one of the other forum members house was dodgy, have issues with garmin because someones 605 edge broke.. blimey
My Lord, we'd need an entire section of the forum dedicated to crap from Radioshack that just plain does not work.

Jamsque said:
Dimspace, not only have you made me lose all the respect I had for you, you have actually made me feel ashamed to support Team Sky. Thanks.
We're a wee over the top on this thread folks.