• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky wishlist.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Bala Verde...The only team that I know that has extensive "team location" for training and analysis is Skil. This is a new technique...it gives the riders ready access to team coaches and directors, while allowing specific rider development.

errrr Garmin in Girona ? Forces it riders to live there as they have the team base and training center.

Check your facts before making statements on this forum.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey trash I said the only team that I know of, not the only team...idiot....why don't you be constructive instead of a turd. You obviously know more than the rest of us...so enlighten us. I did not know that the Garmin riders were required to live in Girona. You need to learn to read and comprehend before you post. But then again your name does say you are trash...so no surprise.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Addict said:
I was at the Giro finish in Rome and heard a couple of riders talking about Australian Scott Sunderland. Apparently he was the man who picked the right riders for the Cervelo Test team. Sunderland left the team shortly after to join Team Sky. With him on board surely the new team Sky is going to look good!

Well it will look good if Scott has some money to play with, it reminds me of Scott's first attempt at being a DS, I forget the team but it fell apart. I wonder why Scott is always on the move team-wise? He's always off on another venture never staying in one spot too long. Not that its bad, he might just like to build the teams and start them up then let someone else keep it going? I do thing the benefits is starting in the early phases there are less cooks in the kitchen so he gets more freedom to do things his way.

Addict said:
I was at the Giro finish in Rome and heard a couple of riders talking about Australian Scott Sunderland. Apparently he was the man who picked the right riders for the Cervelo Test team. Sunderland left the team shortly after to join Team Sky. With him on board surely the new team Sky is going to look good!

Who were the riders?

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't want to guess their names, but one Cervelo rider, one Columbia.
To Elchignon: The Cervelo team did not fell apart and Sunderland has not put another team together as far as I remember? To my knowledge Sunderland became ds with Team CSC immediately after his retirement. He was with them for 4 years. I checked his profile on his personal website http://www.scottsunderland.com
Cervelo asked him to start up their team.
He moved on from there to team sky because there were differences in opinion with the general manager at the Cervelo Test team, if I remember correctly reading on cyclingnews.

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Have to assume a number of the riders from the GB team currently competing in Italy will be in Team Sky next year. Peter Kennaugh for example looks a very good rider and appears to be getting some good results the last few days.

Speculation generally begins to increase around the tour de france. I seem to remember a number of riders have previously confirmed they will be riding for other teams during the tour previously. I wonder if there could be a number of them confirming their riding with Team Sky next year.

Has the bike manufacturer been announced yet?

A

Anonymous

Addict said:
According to Norwegian TV2sporten Edvald Boasson Hagen is on his way to Team sky

http://msn.tv2sporten.no/sykkel/article2799988.ece

TV2 spoke to Team sky sports manager Scott Sunderland who said he is not to comment on the rumour. He said any signings will be kept quiet until the 1st of September.

and that would be no surprise...

if he wasnt top of their wish list, he was close to the top.. perfect choice to go alongside the brits, and i think hes pretty well like and respected over here for his performances in the tour of britain, where he took our little tour, very seriously..

Haven't posted on this thread yet, sorry to say, but it's interesting reading the speculation take shape.

I think a bigger factor than any is going to see what teams crumble due to financial problems at the end of the year, and who can be plucked as a result.

TRDean said:
Hey trash I said the only team that I know of, not the only team...
Yes, and it also depends on how one wants to define "extensive" regarding the training location (permanent?). For example, Astana has their spot on the Canary Islands. But that doesn't seem as "extensive' as Skil's - at least that I know of(!)

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Boassen Hagen would seem to be a perfect choice for Sky. Super talented young rider with a huge future ahead of him, great signing for Team Sky and gives a real show of intent to the peloton with regards to next season.

There has been a lot of speculation over the past few days about Team Sky and the general feeling appears to be 8 or 9 British riders with the rest of the 25 being made up with other nationalities. The 7 of the 9 you would assume to be; Thomas, Stannard, Swift, Bellis, Froome, Cummings and Kennaugh. Although promising riders they dont really offer huge promise towards early results and TDF victories.

As such I am expecting to see a number of riders of Boassen Hagens level brought in with a GC contender amongst them. Exciting times.

EBH would be a great signing for Sky, definitely a good classics rider and all rounder capable of winning small stage races. He will also get a lot more chances at sky , Columbia has shed loads of talent he has to share leadership with.

One good thing about the british sky team is that it may raise the profile of road cycling over here - no one even reported cav's win in milan-san remo for gods sake, not in any major news papers anyway (the women's curling team got loads more press a year or so back!). More coverage, creates more interest, which in turn creates more talent.

The other foreseeable benefit to British cycling and team sky is that from now on they will gather all the talent that pops up. Cav is the main man at Columbia so wont leave and Wiggins looks settled at Garmain so they are out of reach.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Addict said:
According to Norwegian TV2sporten Edvald Boasson Hagen is on his way to Team sky

http://msn.tv2sporten.no/sykkel/article2799988.ece

TV2 spoke to Team sky sports manager Scott Sunderland who said he is not to comment on the rumour. He said any signings will be kept quiet until the 1st of September.
No, they say he _might_ join Sky. Can't really read into Sunderland's comments either.

That said, tremendous success means more expensive riders. Chances are Columbia can't really afford to re-sign everyone at a salary they 'deserve', and EBH is certainly one of the riders due for a significant pay raise.

Also, the only really 'essential' rider on Columbia is Cavendish (with Greipel a distant second). Because the team is so stacked with winners, anyone else becomes disposable. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of talent they've signed for next season (Guldhammer, Ghyselinck, Bakelants, Gretsch, and Van Garderen).

Hmm, I was skeptical when I started writing this post, but now I've almost convinced myself that EBH will ride for Sky next season.

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
One good thing about the british sky team is that it may raise the profile of road cycling over here - no one even reported cav's win in milan-san remo for gods sake, not in any major news papers anyway (the women's curling team got loads more press a year or so back!). More coverage, creates more interest, which in turn creates more talent.

Including Sky Sports News.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok, the norwegian paper Aftenposten has made a few calls. Quick translation:

Stapleton:
Suspects a bidding war is taking place and is prepared to lose him. Believes Columbia can match other teams wrt almost any issue, including money.
Thinks the speculations of EBH joining Sky 'makes sense', but also mentions that Bjarne Riis is very interested.
Says they've given EBH the chance to do what he wants, and will continue to do so should he re-sign. Will give him the support he wants.
Columbia intends to be a team of future champions, and EBH can be one of them.
Expects a decision within the next two weeks.

Cavendish:
Doesn't want to give any advice, feel it would be disrespectful. Hopes he stays.

His manager, Birger Hungerholdt:
No bidding war is taking place.
Most important factor is being comfortable about the team and EBH's place in it, and so far Columbia has been a good fit, and he might very well stay.
Not in a hurry, no point in Edvald being the first to decide. Wants to see which riders ends up where first.
Expects a decision within two months, not two weeks.

Source: http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/sport/tourdefrance/article3153660.ece

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Cyclismag.com has put up an interesting article on Team Sky, according to which Haussler, Gerrans, Tony Martin, Lövkvist, EBH, and Flecha are likely to ride for team Sky next year. They also suggest that this is the primary reason why Gerrans and Lövkvist did not get to ride the TdF.

Source: http://cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5135

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
samb01 said:
Cyclismag.com has put up an interesting article on Team Sky, according to which Haussler, Gerrans, Tony Martin, Lövkvist, EBH, and Flecha are likely to ride for team Sky next year. They also suggest that this is the primary reason why Gerrans and Lövkvist did not get to ride the TdF.

Would be a very interesting team if that all turned out to be true. If they could add to that a real GC hope then you would have to say they would have one of the strongest selections in the peloton.

Regarding Thomas Lokvist, maybe I am translating wrong but it seems to suggest that he is heading to Bjarne Riis to me.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Parcours said:
Regarding Thomas Lokvist, maybe I am translating wrong but it seems to suggest that he is heading to Bjarne Riis to me.
I believe it says, as was reported at the time, that he was supposedly close to going to CSC before ending up in THR.

Team Sky would make a lot more sense than Saxo for Løvkvist, considering the riders already there.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I would like Jamie Barrow to come back, and get his Italian preparatore from his amateur team in Italy when he set the record in the ascent to Plateau de Beille and beat reigning u23 tt World Champ Thor Hushovd in the sprint.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
samb01 said:

Parcours said:
Would be a very interesting team if that all turned out to be true. If they could add to that a real GC hope then you would have to say they would have one of the strongest selections in the peloton.

With all those Aussies... maybe Evans will go over their as their GC hope?

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
I dont think there is a wiki list for Team Sky currently.

However it seems Serge Pauwels to Team Sky has been agreed at least if you believe the dutch and belgium press. What type of rider is he?

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
"Lucky stage 13 for Cervélo's rising star

Heinrich Haussler, Cervélo’s joker in the pack was finally let off the leash on today’s stage from Vittel to Colmar, as he soloed to his first stage in win the Tour de France. The 25-year-old was signed from the defunct Gerlosteiner at the end of last year under the strict instructions of Cervélo’s then director sportif, Scott Sunderland, and he put aside what has so far been a difficult Tour de France with a win that brought him to tears at the finishline."

Does that mean Haussler is on his way to team sky? :)

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Sky Roster

Anyone have any rumor knowledge on who may join this team?

Are they going after Wiggins and/or Cavendish?

Who may be team leaders on this squad?

TRENDING THREADS