• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Am I reading this right? A rookie team with the leader's jersey but zero peloton seniroity lets a break go far clear in windy conditions, then when it decides to chase takes an echelon across the entire road, firing furiously through the feed zone, then has its leader take a **** break with 55 km to go?

I've never heard of such garbage. Who's running this team? The sponsors should be furious.

the vagabond said:
Am I reading this right? A rookie team with the leader's jersey but zero peloton seniroity lets a break go far clear in windy conditions, then when it decides to chase takes an echelon across the entire road, firing furiously through the feed zone, then has its leader take a **** break with 55 km to go?

I've never heard of such garbage. Who's running this team? The sponsors should be furious.

It makes for plenty of publicity and isn't that what the sponsor wants?
Sounds like they are getting their money's worth out of the Tour of Oman.

A

Anonymous

Hairy Wheels said:
Isn't Sky owned by Rupert Murdoch?

I wish them all the worst....

No, sky (the sponsors of team sky) is 1/3rd (40% at last check) owned by news corp, which is a public company chaired and founded by Rupert Murdoch.

So technically, No, Sky is not even close to being owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
No, sky (the sponsors of team sky) is 1/3rd (40% at last check) owned by news corp, which is a public company chaired and founded by Rupert Murdoch.

So technically, No, Sky is not even close to being owned by Rupert Murdoch.

So news corp, with murdoch at the chair have a 40% stake? that would be the largest individual stakeholder or not?

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Mmmmm. The second leaders jersey Sky/EBH have let slip in a fortnight in windy conditions. Maybe they need a few Belgians in the team.

No doubt the official word is that they're still bonding as a team and are doing better than expected.

A

Anonymous

karlboss said:
So news corp, with murdoch at the chair have a 40% stake? that would be the largest individual stakeholder or not?

Yes a public company headed by murdoch own a 40% share in BSkyB which in turn is sponsor of team sky. :D

Murdoch owning sky is a long way from the truth, just as Sky being owned by british cycling is innacurate..

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Today's result in Oman

Is it just me, or does everyone hate Sky already, including the peloton? I wanted to like them, but I just can't do it.

I used to like EBH, Arvesen, Löfkvist, and even Gerrans for his rat like cunning, but now they're part of the grandstanding-trash-talking-ra-ra-god-save-the-queen-our-teamwork-and-tactics-are-perfect-you're-Wigan-we're-ManU-but-no-we're-not-jingoistic-we're-not-the-de-facto-british-team-and-we're-definitely-not-"owned"-by-a-one-time-Aussie-with-allegiance-to-nothing-but-filthy-lucre Sky I find myself cheering for anyone else.

Todays result in Oman speaks for itself.

The team have some great riders, but they need to stop talking out their arses, start pulling their weight, and start letting results speak for themselves, or this won't be the last time they get shafted by the peloton. Gentlemens' rules only apply to gentlemen...

Oh, and Wiggo: Austin Powers and Vince Noir are supposed to be ridiculous, and Noel Redding was a good bass player but a rubbish lead guitar and worse songwriter. You may have found some of your dad's old clothes, but you really shouldn't have taken the tablets you found in the top pocket. Your track exploits were awesome, but really, Le Tour? Look down below your waist and I think you'll see your hand rather than an attractive naked groupie...(but it's OK son, the purple lighting could have that effect on anyone)

dsut4392 said:
Is it just me, or does everyone hate Sky already, including the peloton? I wanted to like them, but I just can't do it.

I used to like EBH, Arvesen, Löfkvist, and even Gerrans for his rat like cunning, but now they're part of the grandstanding-trash-talking-ra-ra-god-save-the-queen-our-teamwork-and-tactics-are-perfect-you're-Wigan-we're-ManU-but-no-we're-not-jingoistic-we're-not-the-de-facto-british-team-and-we're-definitely-not-"owned"-by-a-one-time-Aussie-with-allegiance-to-nothing-but-filthy-lucre Sky I find myself cheering for anyone else.

The team have some great riders, but they need to stop talking out their arses, start pulling their weight, and start letting results speak for themselves, or this won't be the last time they get shafted by the peloton. Gentlemens' rules only apply to gentlemen...

Oh, and Wiggo: Austin Powers and Vince Noir are supposed to be ridiculous, and Noel Redding was a good bass player but a rubbish lead guitar and worse songwriter. You may have found some of your dad's old clothes, but you really shouldn't have taken the tablets you found in the top pocket. Your track exploits were awesome, but really, Le Tour? Look down below your waist and I think you'll see your hand rather than an attractive naked groupie...(but it's OK son, the purple lighting could have that effect on anyone)
EBH trash talking? I can assure you that will never happen. He's always just been saying stuff like "we are still learning", and has never claimed that they are superior in any way.

Disliking entire teams is extremely generalizing, and is just distasteful in my opinion.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget that it's not very long ago that cycling was almost on it's knees due to a lack of sponsors.

We now have a blue chip, mulinational company poughing in millions and raising the profile of our sport to new levels.

and all people can do is complain!:eek:

A

Anonymous

dsut4392 said:

do you have any links to sky riders talking out of their arses.. Since the team launched the riders have actually been very quiet and not said too much at all. Theyve replied fairly diplomatically to hammonds to little outbursts.

you need to calm down a bit... youll make yourself ill..

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
except the bit about Garmin chasing down Hincapie at last years Tour.... I thought Astana chased as well?

AG2R chased but the time gap actually increased when Astana was pulling. Ligget said that Lance had ordered Astana to chase, but that was total BS. I have no idea where he got that from.

As for Sky, they seem to be riding with a sense of entitlement; that's my only beef with them right now.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
do you have any links to sky riders talking out of their arses.. Since the team launched the riders have actually been very quiet and not said too much at all. Theyve replied fairly diplomatically to hammonds to little outbursts.

you need to calm down a bit... youll make yourself ill..

Agree completely, the sky riders have actually said little, it's the media and shoulder chipped riders like hunter and Hammond who are being petulant.

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hairy Wheels said:
Isn't Sky owned by Rupert Murdoch?

I wish them all the worst....
That's fair enough, everybody is entitled to an opinion and I respect yours. In defence of Sky though they are doing amazing things for grassroots cycling in the UK.

They have pumped money into the sport in this country at all levels, not least the amazing emergence of UK track riding. The mass participation skyride events have been a big boost for UK cycling at the lowest levels. Tens of thousands of people have been dusting off unused bikes rusting away in garages and sheds to ride on closed city roads with slick organisation.

For the first time I'm aware of, directly thanks to Sky, cycling of all levels is receiving exposure to the masses on a regular basis in the UK, strengthening and growing a sport that I assume we all love on these forums. For that I am very grateful.

This is historic stuff for UK cycling and I wish Sky every success in their efforts (amongst others) to promote the UK to a first world cycling nation after way too long languishing way behind the rest

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
dsut4392 said:

I find it hard to hate any organisation who pays for my five year old son to have his first real cycle ride on a closed city roads loop, gives him a free hi-viz vest, quality water bottle, cycling mitts, bike stickers, spokey dokeys and access to a free cycling festival in a city park stuffed with cool things to do, watch stunt cyclists, have a go at obstacle courses and just generally have one of the best days of his life and fostering a love of cycling that will live in him for a long time!

http://cid-df186469e03f9455.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Skyride/Benji.jpg

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
yes Murdoch Snr is a ****, but Sky's sponsorship of cycling in the UK, whether Pro, track or grassroots is something else and really good news.

A

Anonymous

luckyboy said:
I think when people talk about hating Sky, they mean the professional cycling team (and Murdoch), not the whole grassroots thing as well.

Either Sky are involved in cycling or they aint.. you cant pick and choose what parts of cycling they are involved in.

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I think when people talk about hating Sky, they mean the professional cycling team (and Murdoch), not the whole grassroots thing as well.
Agreed, but as a passionate UK cycling fan, for me it's a real shame that such a wonderful (almost undreamt of) thing as a UK registered Pro Cycling team is being so controversial. When you love a sport so much but for so long have only had fleeting moments of national pride over the decades things do get a bit emotional.

I guess some of the blame for this is self-inflicted with the PR around the team, some of the comments and actions of Wiggins, Swift etc are definitely debateable. But the truly special opportunity for the UK guys to feel part of something that is for the most part a progression of the British Cycling journey is understandable for me.

The reality is that the critical mass UK public probably won't take to Pro Cycling at the level of Football (Soccer) etc and this will only last a number of years before cycling slips back into oblivion.

Could some of you guys give us a break and let us Brits enjoy this while it lasts :)

A

Anonymous

I can talk about cycling now and people have a vague idea what im talking about..

That said, theres a lot of people i talk to in the uk who think sky have just invented cycling, and as a cycling fan i am jumping on the bandwagon.. I almost preferred following a minority sport. .damm this popularity..

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
I can talk about cycling now and people have a vague idea what im talking about..

That said, theres a lot of people i talk to in the uk who think sky have just invented cycling, and as a cycling fan i am jumping on the bandwagon.. I almost preferred following a minority sport. .damm this popularity..
I get asked even more now why I shave my legs, I still don't have an answer beyond "Because everbody else does in the sport"!

When I talk to people about cycling, they know either 'Lance Armstrong' or 'Tour de France'. I don't talk about cycling much :rolleyes:

Pretty much the only serious cycling talk is when my Rabo-supporting Dutch auntie and uncle come over. I remember when they came over during the 07 Tour :p