• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky's first TDF mistake

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It was just a statement really. Open to debate and I'm glad it has given the opportunity.

No I'm no Dave Brailsford, but I thought when Rogers left Eisel would be a nailed on cert for Road Captain.

I wonder about how Stannard will cope, but I hope he goes well all the same.

Personally I would have taken Eisel and one of the columbians are maybe Cataldo but you are right its not my team.

MellowJohnny said:
It was just a statement really. Open to debate and I'm glad it has given the opportunity.

No I'm no Dave Brailsford, but I thought when Rogers left Eisel would be a nailed on cert for Road Captain.

I wonder about how Stannard will cope, but I hope he goes well all the same.

Personally I would have taken Eisel and one of the columbians are maybe Cataldo but you are right its not my team.

Stannard should be fine judging by the Dauphine. Lopez and Kennaugh as the designated mountain doms to Froome and Porte are the main concerns for different reasons. Lopez in his spring form would do an excellent job but he was sick at the Dauphine. Presumably he was in good form pre-Dauphine and has recovered since but there's still a bit of a question mark there. Then you have Kennaugh who had a very poor spring and has only recently found his form at the Dauphine. Of course the team has good depth with Thomas, Siutsou and Kiryienka all capable of performing well in the mountains so they should just about be ok even if Lopez/Kennaugh disappoint.

With a fully GC-focused squad, the likes of Eisel doesn't add anything beyond experience.

As for road captains, I'm drawn to Eddie's stint on the front of one of last season's Tour stages - perhaps one Eurosport showed in full despite it having the profile of an ironing board - where he stuck himself on the front adopting a cruciform trying to stop any further attacks as Sky were happy with the break that had gone.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
This. Threads are much cleaner without airstream pollution.

wish my air purifier can work in the thread;), back to SKY I don't think they really made a mistake, Froom probably prefer a mountain domestique than BE

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Cimber said:
Isnt that an important point about such forums? I mean to have an opnion about such matters? He think it was a mistake not to pick Bernie and opens for a discussion about that choise

I just find it laughable when fan, who knows neither what form each of riders has nor who and which role has in details, criticizes the decision made by group of professionals. I'd never do anything like that.

Sky bashers try to teach me on what I should think. Thanks, I don't need it.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
I just find it laughable when fan, who knows neither what form each of riders has nor who and which role has in details, criticizes the decision made by group of professionals. I'd never do anything like that.

Sky bashers try to teach me on what I should think. Thanks, I don't need it.

He doesnt try to teach you what to think. He states his opinion and you are free to have a different opinion and argue for that opinion. But trolling and baiting is not the way. And its not just this thread I am referring to. Would be really nice if you actually had geniune debates without trolling and baiting, cos I do actually think you have a lot to contribute with if you gave up those characteristics and stopped seeing certain forum members as enemies cos of their oplinions. If you disagree argue for your opinion in a fair and respectful manner. And if ppl troll or bait you dont fall to their level.

But hey, once in a while we all give in to the temptation to troll and bait (me included). Thats ok, but you just do it so much that a lot of other CN debaters put you on ignore or just find you annoying. Thats sad since, as I said, I think you have something useful to contribue with if you gave up the annoying constant trolling.

Could anyone give an in depth explanation about what a road captain is?
What is required of a road captain?
Etc.

I've googled, and the best I came up with is these links:
http://www.bicycling.com/news/2012-tour-de-france/tour-features/support-riders-road-captain

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...ping-to-make-10th-career-tour-appearance.html

I'm a newish cycling fan, and feel I might be missing some important details.

As for sky, their article about the selection is quite good:
http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,29112_8785078,00.html

Team leader Chris Froome said: “I’m delighted with the balance in this team and every one of these riders is going to play a pivotal role once the racing begins. Most of us were at the Criterium du Dauphine and I was hugely impressed there with the way the team came together in control of the leader’s jersey. It gave me huge faith and I could not be happier with the selection.

“Ian, Vasil and Kosta each possess huge engines that you can’t go into a Tour without. They will be controlling things on the front for long periods of the race and pacing me once the climbing begins. Geraint, David and Pete will then take up the reins. Those guys have really improved their climbing abilities and will be a massive help when the pace really ramps up in the mountains.

“In Richie we simply have one of the strongest climbers in the world. He is another rider who’s more than capable of winning a Grand Tour in his own right. Having him in our ranks gives us a number of different options to play. The same applies with Edvald – he is flying after his victories in Norway and the Dauphine, and he has already proved he can win stages at the Tour.

“We’re ready, excited and can’t wait to get going.”

From what I gather the initial plan is:
Flat engines: Ian, Vasil and Kosta
Climbs: Geraint, David and Pete
EBH: sprinter, climber, bird?
Porte: Asst team leader
Froome: Team leader

As for road captain, the things I might associate with suct a position are mentioned in regards To David Lopes:

David López - Spain – age 32

Joined Team Sky this season and has played a key part in Chris Froome’s victories at the Tour de Romandie and Criterium du Dauphine. This will be his third Tour de France but his first in Team Sky colours. He brings invaluable experience and a relaxed demeanour.

I expected Bernie to be selected and was a little surprised he wasn't in the team. That said they know what they are doing and i'm guessing Froome felt he did not want another rider on the flat and perhaps another engine for the hills/mountains. Its a very strong team and the train of Kiri, Thomas, Kennaugh, Lopez and Porte will be tough to crack.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
I expected Bernie to be selected and was a little surprised he wasn't in the team. That said they know what they are doing and i'm guessing Froome felt he did not want another rider on the flat and perhaps another engine for the hills/mountains. Its a very strong team and the train of Kiri, Thomas, Kennaugh, Lopez and Porte will be tough to crack.

How is Kennaugh pronounced btw? somethin' like [kinʌ:f]?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Not 100% sure as I've never met the bloke however most commentators seem to pronounce it 'Ken-now'. Although the Manx pronunciation is 'Ken-yak'.

Im sure someone here would know.

Omg, all I understand is this surname is not read according to basic rules of pronunciation:)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
from what i read, gerraint thomas is the road captain? Really? he kept falling off or fall behind or miss the crucial moment in all of his classic campaign. How can you have a road captain who can figure out when is the crucial moment and find the right position in the peloton?

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Not 100% sure as I've never met the bloke however most commentators seem to pronounce it 'Ken-now'. Although the Manx pronunciation is 'Ken-yak'.

Im sure someone here would know.

It's definitely not ken-now as you say. I thought it was closer to ken-yuk as opposed to ken-yak although that may be my ears mis-hearing things (or indeed my northern irish accent forcing its own opinion upon the pronunciation!)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
On topic, Eisel is a road captain? Who cooked up this stuff? Road captain is someone who has a grandiose experience, perfect handling skills and extraordinary flair of exactly where you should rider in the peloton without endangering your leader. I saw a few very good ones: Ekimov, Hincapie, Cancellara, J.I. Gutierrez... But Eisel... LOL. Eisel is just an ex-sprinter who continued his career like a lead-out man. Being a road captain doesn't have anything to do with that

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
from what i read, gerraint thomas is the road captain? Really? he kept falling off or fall behind or miss the crucial moment in all of his classic campaign. How can you have a road captain who can figure out when is the crucial moment and find the right position in the peloton?

Who was the road captain in the criterium dauphine? Its the same team (plus lopez) so the captain will be the same.

Also, was rodgers not road captain last year?

williamp78 said:
Who was the road captain in the criterium dauphine? Its the same team (plus lopez) so the captain will be the same.

Also, was rodgers not road captain last year?

I think he was yeah, I don't think it will matter who the road captain is. The sky team know what they must do and they have been doing it for long enough now.

Pricey_sky said:
I think he was yeah, I don't think it will matter who the road captain is. The sky team know what they must do and they have been doing it for long enough now.

With the use of radio's the role of road captain is essentially being eroded away increasingly. It does still have a use though.

Road Captain, no different to a captain in any other team in any other sport.

From reading Wiggins's book (My Time) it seemed Eisel was doing the role well alongside Rogers.

It was generally just my opinion that I think its a mistake, I also think Saxobank having selecting Bennati over Sorensen is a mistake.

Wait and see but I'm glad it made for some debate.

Pricey_sky said:
In a Tour with so many inevitably nervous sprint stages, it doesn't hurt to have someone who knows where to be on the crucial moments. Their most experienced rider is Sivtsov, with 4 Tour participations. That's a risk, for an otherwise strong team.

But like I said, they're so strong that they can simply ride on the front for 3 weeks. Then it doesn't really matter ;)