• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Technique Tips, Drills

Hey everyone. I'm new to cycling, and am very eager to improve.

I've been working on my pedaling technique every ride and I can already see improvement. I was wondering if there were any useful drills/ or technique tips that I could practice on my own to help improve other skills such as climbing, cornering, pace line riding etc.

Or should I just ride hard and ride often?

Thanks,

Marcos

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
One gets better at "skills" like climbing by raising ones watt/Kg ratio. So ride lots and watch your weight.

You get better at riding in pace lines by, well, riding in pace lines. Find a group with folks willing to coach and be honest with them on your comfort level.

Cornering is much the same as riding in a pace line. Just try to go through corners on your favorite ride(s) a little faster each time - growing your comfort zone.

Dave

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi friend ,

I just wondering here and find this thread that might can help me in improving my adventurous skills so if any one out there have any tips regarding any of adventurous sports or any Experience than please share with us.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
US Patent Exploding Cyclist said:
Hey everyone. I'm new to cycling, and am very eager to improve.

I've been working on my pedaling technique every ride and I can already see improvement. I was wondering if there were any useful drills/ or technique tips that I could practice on my own to help improve other skills such as climbing, cornering, pace line riding etc.

Or should I just ride hard and ride often?

Thanks,

Marcos
Welcome to the mad, weird world that is cycling. Be warned ... it's like the Hotel California - once you're in, you'll never leave ... ;)

As for your question - you've almost identified the best drill in the question you ask at the end of your email.

Just get out and ride - either on your own or with groups. The only bit that you got wrong is the "ride hard" bit. If you're new to cycling and are wanting to learn skills, then the best thing for you is a lot of long, easy rides - the sort of thing that you'll use in the future to build and maintain your endurance.

Reason I say to take it easy is that if you try to ride hard you're going to find that you spend energy and "brain power" that should be going to learning the skills you want to learn into riding hard. It's the same logic behind why pro athletes in any code do their skill sessions at very low intensity.

Other than that, your best thing to do is to ride on as wide a variety of terrain as you can. That'll help you to develop the skills that you are wanting to learn. Also, at this stage, your body will still be adjusting to cycling, so the areas that you may need to work on now may not actually be your "weaknesses". Better to let it adapt and then see what really needs your attention.

One comment about climbing - you'll find people that tell you that you "have to" climb seated, or "have to" climb standing, or "have to" spin at X revs. That's all crap. Climbing is probably the most personal part of cycling - and one of the hardest parts to really master (ie., to get really fast at). Experiment with what works for you. Try seated. Try standing. Try pushing a slightly bigger gear (not too big - that's definitely too slow and bad for your knees). Try spinning more. Work out for yourself what gets you up the hill fastest, easiest and with the most energy to spare.

Also, when it comes to bunch riding/pacelines, make sure you don't end up riding with a fast bunch straight off. You'll be a danger to yourself and the others in the group - and will make yourself pretty unpopular as a result. Better to start with the "slow group" - better chance to learn how to ride close, bang elbows and bars, watch the road and the riders around you without getting too far out of your depth. Also, the slow group is liable to have a couple of older riders who were the top in your area in their day. They're great people to learn off.

But yeah, as I say the only secret is to ride and ride and ride. Once you've got a good base under you and are comfortable riding in any conditions, on any surface then look to putting in specific drills and practices to help bring your riding on.

In the meantime happy riding! :)

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
kiwirider said:
Welcome to the mad, weird world that is cycling. Be warned ... it's like the Hotel California - once you're in, you'll never leave ... ;)

One comment about climbing - you'll find people that tell you that you "have to" climb seated, or "have to" climb standing, or "have to" spin at X revs. That's all crap. Climbing is probably the most personal part of cycling - and one of the hardest parts to really master (ie., to get really fast at). Experiment with what works for you. Try seated. Try standing. Try pushing a slightly bigger gear (not too big - that's definitely too slow and bad for your knees). Try spinning more. Work out for yourself what gets you up the hill fastest, easiest and with the most energy to spare.

Interesting points, kiwirider. I'm still trying to master hill climbing. I find it so dam hard. Whether I be sitting or standing, smaller, bigger gear... Now, I just have to telling myself to just keep practicing on the hills as I think it's the only way to improve. If there's an easier way then I'd love to know!!!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Place 3 or 4 water bottles on the ground and pick them up while riding, place them in your jersey. Will increase some balance and handling issues. A good game of bike polo or football(soccer) can also give you a feel for slow speed bumps that involve balance and recovery. General bumping and body contact on your bike is useful for every part of riding and racing, Wheelies, bunny hops all good for balance and handling confidence. Tap your front wheel against the curb and wheels in front of you, Tap handlebars with the guy next to you. Most important drill is wish other racers good luck at the start line.

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Place 3 or 4 water bottles on the ground and pick them up while riding, place them in your jersey. Will increase some balance and handling issues. A good game of bike polo or football(soccer) can also give you a feel for slow speed bumps that involve balance and recovery. General bumping and body contact on your bike is useful for every part of riding and racing, Wheelies, bunny hops all good for balance and handling confidence. Tap your front wheel against the curb and wheels in front of you, Tap handlebars with the guy next to you. Most important drill is wish other racers good luck at the start line.

FAF - some of this is dangerous stuff.....Tapping wheels even at average speed was got "wipe out" written all over it.... The last sentence is nice.........Yeah right!!!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Iwannabee, I wrote this stuff for somebody trying to win a race or 2. All things can be started on grass if you are queezie about trying to learn on pavement. The race coverage seen on TV almost never shows people touching each other while racing, it happens EVERYtime . Most low level races end if field sprints where the method of panic is expressed with handfulls of break levers. Halfwheeling or overlap depending on what you call it is normal but not recommended each time during a soft pedal or coasting you may find that relaxing and not grabbing the brake will make you a better racer. Thank god for me I did not suggest that you explore catching a pedal on the pavement intentionally. Bike and body contact can be dealt with in many ways, most times it's,.. breaks heavy and then a crash. There is a part of most races called "the crunch" when people start to ride above a completely safe and sane level trying to put themselves in a spot for a result. Many stupid and crazy things happen right toward the end of a race and having some extra skills and confidence on your bike will help every time. I guess the most important thing I learn from all this is how you think bike racing is not dangerous. Racing anything is usually dangerous from okay maybe not turtles or rabbits but most things. I learned the picking up water bottle skill from a TDF rider.

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Iwannabee, I wrote this stuff for somebody trying to win a race or 2. All things can be started on grass if you are queezie about trying to learn on pavement. The race coverage seen on TV almost never shows people touching each other while racing, it happens EVERYtime . Most low level races end if field sprints where the method of panic is expressed with handfulls of break levers. Halfwheeling or overlap depending on what you call it is normal but not recommended each time during a soft pedal or coasting you may find that relaxing and not grabbing the brake will make you a better racer. Thank god for me I did not suggest that you explore catching a pedal on the pavement intentionally. Bike and body contact can be dealt with in many ways, most times it's,.. breaks heavy and then a crash. There is a part of most races called "the crunch" when people start to ride above a completely safe and sane level trying to put themselves in a spot for a result. Many stupid and crazy things happen right toward the end of a race and having some extra skills and confidence on your bike will help every time. I guess the most important thing I learn from all this is how you think bike racing is not dangerous. Racing anything is usually dangerous from okay maybe not turtles or rabbits but most things. I learned the picking up water bottle skill from a TDF rider.

Sorry abt my earlier reply. I thought your comments were not entirely genuine.:eek: I'm a newbe to riding so excuse my ignorance. Based on your comments I'm going to think twice before I consider going to the next level and start entering some races. I'm going to try picking up the water bottles though.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
iwannabee My skin is pretty thick, You should not think twice about racing,just do it! If you don't think you are a good bike handler it's no big deal. Start with time trials and club rides.Riding with women is also good because you get the fitness with a little less aggression. Drills will help you feel comfortable on your bike and that is critical even if you choose to go to the market instead of racing. It will come in time and going from riding and winning takes most people a couple of years, learning lots on the way.Most people do not have unlimited budgets and can not afford special tools for everything,but keep this in mind. You may be able to purchase a used bike from an ad in the paper or online for cheap. Use it to race Cyclocross. Cross also gives you a good balance between a time trial and a mass start event. In most races you start as a group and within a very short time you are riding alone and without much danger of smashing into another bike. It will give you lots of power and bike handling skills that will benefit you no matter what type of cycling you choose. The bike can have down tube shifters and really only needs to have the space to handle a thicker cross knobby tire. Just a suggestion. If you are just getting started cross people are fun and the race itself makes you not take things to serious. If you find you like it then you will need better equipment.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Hills

I found that riding no-handed up a moderately sloped hill really improved my hill climbing. It forces one into a balanced position on the bike, and seems to help me dial in the cadence that best works for me. Find a steady slope, with minimal traffic, and give it a try.

JimBob

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
HI all,

I am also working on my pedaling technique every ride and I follow tips what ever u all discuss here. I get comfort my self upto now. I am satisfied upto now, hey i'll reply u my opinion as posible as soon, but i m sure i give possitive answer because upto now i get full advantage from this, so no chance to bad effect.

TRENDING THREADS