• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teejay Van Garderen Clinic Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
NECyclist88 said:
Who will be the first to say "bad bag"? Oops, I guess it was me.

That was my initial thought.

Am I an idiot to think that maybe he's clean and was toast before the rest day? That 2/3, 3/4 thru a Tour is his limit?

I'm thinking Mottet who got a lot of crap for being weak the last week of a Tour.

Straighten me out here...

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
This will come out from the team sooner or later but I will go ahead and post it. Last night TVG forgot to sleep on his marginal gain's pillow and on top of that team ran out of Oval shaped chain rings.

Jeremiah said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
NECyclist88 said:

Am I an idiot to think that maybe he's clean and was toast before the rest day? That 2/3, 3/4 thru a Tour is his limit?

I'm thinking Mottet who got a lot of crap for being weak the last week of a Tour.

Clean? Very doubtful. Clean-ish? Maybe.

But, yeah, the third week (sometimes discussed as 11th day onwards) is where clean-ish grand tour riders are separated from the stage racers.

One expects a day of difficulty from a clean-ish grand tour rider but this was total collapse.

Re:

Saint Unix said:
At least TJ has the luxury of being able to say he always had talent. The man was creaming everyone he raced against in the US from the age of about 10.

I guess he just never found the right combination of PEDs under Och/Testa/Rihs.

You have to wonder how much more the collapse was about. I'm guessing this is his last year as leader. I wonder if Rihs has changed his mind about funding the team at that level, or maybe pulling the plug altogether.

DirtyWorks said:
Saint Unix said:
At least TJ has the luxury of being able to say he always had talent. The man was creaming everyone he raced against in the US from the age of about 10.

I guess he just never found the right combination of PEDs under Och/Testa/Rihs.

You have to wonder how much more the collapse was about. I'm guessing this is his last year as leader. I wonder if Rihs has changed his mind about funding the team at that level, or maybe pulling the plug altogether.

Don't say that!
--LRP

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The only thing weird I find about this is he pulled out so early in the race and didn't try to tough it out a bit more ala Porte but guess illness does affect some people more than others. Is also why Porte is probably signing with BMC

Didn't he struggle after the second rest day last year as well?

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Re:

gazr99 said:
The only thing weird I find about this is he pulled out so early in the race and didn't try to tough it out a bit more ala Porte but guess illness does affect some people more than others. Is also why Porte is probably signing with BMC

TJ was tumbling with his bike on the street. he almost crashed in the medic car. i dont understand how some pros continue riding when they are sick. the always told us not to train with sickness, it may destroy the heart.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

malakassis said:
gazr99 said:

TJ was tumbling with his bike on the street. he almost crashed in the medic car. i dont understand how some pros continue riding when they are sick. the always told us not to train with sickness, it may destroy the heart.

There's training then there's surviving to get your first podium at a GT

Jeremiah said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
NECyclist88 said:

I can believe either theory. I think both can fit the purpose.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Jeremiah said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
NECyclist88 said:

He already has 2 5th places in the Tour.I think that the bigger problem was the fact that he was already in top shape for the dauphine, I always expected him to have problems in the 3rd week.
I have to say that I also thought about a possible bad bag when I heard it.

Re:

gazr99 said:

Tough it out?

Doping talk aside, I always think it's funny when riders get "sick" during a GT. It's a bit of a joke if you ask me. How sick can you be while doing 200km a day over 4000 meters of climbing? Not that sick I would presume.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Walkman said:
gazr99 said:

Tough it out?

Doping talk aside, I always think it's funny when riders get "sick" during a GT. It's a bit of a joke if you ask me. How sick can you be while doing 200km a day over 4000 meters of climbing? Not that sick I would presume.

Because this is what they get paid for and they're in the biggest race of the year. The amount of people who have pulled out this year due to what I'm presuming is the same illness says it all.

Must point out I said tough it out when I thought it was his first day with the illness, he seems to have been doing that since stage 13

gazr99 said:
Walkman said:
gazr99 said:

Tough it out?

Because this is what they get paid for and they're in the biggest race of the year. The amount of people who have pulled out this year due to what I'm presuming is the same illness says it all.

Must point out I said tough it out when I thought it was his first day with the illness, he seems to have been doing that since stage 13

Because they are paid for it?

How much good does it do to come in 40 minutes down? And in doing so risking heart problems which can cause major problems and force them to rest for long periods and effectively cut short the 2016 season. You don't tough to out if you get sick, you leave the race and get healthy.

My points that I think few of them are actually that sick. From a team perspective it's not good business risking your assets just to have them cling onto the autobus and surviving.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Walkman said:
gazr99 said:
Walkman said:
gazr99 said:

Tough it out?

Because they are paid for it?

How much good does it do to come in 40 minutes down? And in doing so risking heart problems which can cause major problems and force them to rest for long periods and effectively cut short the 2016 season. You don't tough to out if you get sick, you leave the race and get healthy.

My points that I think few of them are actually that sick. From a team perspective it's not good business risking your assets just to have them cling onto the autobus and surviving.

Yes for many of them they won't be doing much until September anyway, so they're not cutting their season short realistically.

Someone like TJ has based his whole season on this race, although I expect he will go to the Vuelta now.

It's normally the rider who wants to carry on and try to overcome the illness, as it is a team sport and they feel an obligation to be there for the team.

I actually think Van Garderen was in way too good shape too early (Dauphine) and also tried to hang with the leaders too long a couple of times (Pierre St Martin, clearly collapsing after trying to follow Froome. Also Mende, collapsing pretty badly after trying to follow).. and paid for it now. He was empty.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I actually think Van Garderen was in way too good shape too early (Dauphine) and also tried to hang with the leaders too long a couple of times (Pierre St Martin, clearly collapsing after trying to follow Froome. Also Mende, collapsing pretty badly after trying to follow).. and paid for it now. He was empty.

He is so skinny this year.

Really it is quite reassuring. You'd think these 4% bf gc contenders would be quite prone to this sort of thing.

IzzyStradlin said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

He is so skinny this year.

Really it is quite reassuring. You'd think these 4% bf gc contenders would be quite prone to this sort of thing.
Being skinny is very fashionable these days...

One must wonder how he got that skinny. Also, for his peak to be off like that...yikes. Either he's clean, cleanish and he broke down, or something else. When Mayomaniac mentioned the "bad blood bag", it struck me. The circumstances are so similar to Armand De Las Cuevas DNF at the '94 TdF that I'm a bit suspicious here. Same meltdown, same symptoms.

Re:

zigmeister said:
I see the stupidity is in full genius mode here again....carry on.
If you are referring to my post...too bad. I'm on the fence here. The pictures year to year are quite striking, the meltdown/sickness an air "de deja vu". You can disagree. You can argue. Or you can troll. Your choice.

If you are not referring to my post, yes, I see many excuses, many theories. How would he crack this early in the stage? How could his body let him down like this? Without warning it seems. After a rest day.

TRENDING THREADS