Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
0
0
He's an old man mentally.

We all know he isn't A-material for GT's. But from being 6th in Romandie to getting dropped by 80 guys in a medium mountain stage in a couple of weaks time, that's just not normal. It has to be mentally: BMC should protect him and let him work for Porte for a couple of years.

Maybe then he founds back his happiness on the bike.
 
Re:

Arredondo said:
He's an old man mentally.

We all know he isn't A-material for GT's. But from being 6th in Romandie to getting dropped by 80 guys in a medium mountain stage in a couple of weaks time, that's just not normal. It has to be mentally: BMC should protect him and let him work for Porte for a couple of years.

Maybe then he founds back his happiness on the bike.
Even that didn't work in the Tour. He couldn't even make it to the bottom of the final climbs with Porte. I would rather see a hard working domestique get a position on the team instead of TJVG especially in the Tour. When TJVG starts to go bad he only gets worse. He rarely bounces back in GTs.
 
It's strange... this is the guy who got fifth in the Tour by pure change - while riding for his captain, who at the time was the defending champion - five years again (and again three years ago).
Though... maybe the reason he did so well back in 2012 was because he wasn't the captain, no pressure.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Mayomaniac said:
Trump really needs to make TJVG great again
I lol'ed :lol:
Im actually thinking about bringing a cardboard sign with "make TJVG great again!" written on it to the start of stage 19 just to see the reaction of the whole team. :D
 
Re:

lenric said:
He must go to Sky to cure his Bilharzia.
I see what you did there... :lol:

But, you have to wonder, what is going on? I don't think it's all "mental," whatever that means. Of course today was a hard stage -- in GTs every stage is hard in its own way. He maybe gets one more GC shot in a grand tour, then it's either settle for the 3 Days of Dunquerque or go back to the states. You can't have your team "leader" 30 minutes down halfway through the Giro.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
BMC probably wonders why they are paying Van Garderen so much
They are counting the days till his contract ends and looking for a replacement I bet. Wiser heads would pay him out early and say thanks but no thanks. They have Hermans and Dennis but they need another experienced competitive GT rider in the mentor role and someone who can actually compete for the podium. Those are not easy to find as the podium is usually dominated by the same bunch of riders. Dennis will probably ride more with Porte but Porte only ever rides one GT per year. Money is always an issue as well.
You are spot on with your post - There are a few GC guys off contract this year, so BMC should fill one of those two roles mentioned in your post.
 
May 16, 2017
4
0
0
there was an article in velonews before the stage today that made it seem like tvg would abandon gc and go for stage wins...but his loss of time today seems like it still disappointed mgt.

as a 'leader,' he wouldve gained a lot more respect by helping hermans than losing time so he can get 4th place on a stage victory.
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
DanielSong39 said:
Based on his performances I don't think he is able to compete in Grand Tours anymore. Looks like an abandon is coming.
Of course that he will abandon. It will be something like:

"Our leader TJ tried really hard but he was fighting the stomach flu for the last three days and his health is more important than some Giro blah blah"
 
Man, you guys are cruel. He's a human being. Having said that, it will be best for both parties if he and BMC go their separate ways after the season. He has tons of talent, but Tejay obviously needs a fresh start in a different team.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
BMC probably wonders why they are paying Van Garderen so much
They are counting the days till his contract ends and looking for a replacement I bet. Wiser heads would pay him out early and say thanks but no thanks. They have Hermans and Dennis but they need another experienced competitive GT rider in the mentor role and someone who can actually compete for the podium. Those are not easy to find as the podium is usually dominated by the same bunch of riders. Dennis will probably ride more with Porte but Porte only ever rides one GT per year. Money is always an issue as well.
You are spot on with your post - There are a few GC guys off contract this year, so BMC should fill one of those two roles mentioned in your post.
Aru, Thomas (still unproven, I know, but so was Porte), Landa, Zakarin, Uran, Jungels...

Between Aru, Zakarin and Uran imo.
 
Re:

Moviefan1203 said:
Man, you guys are cruel. He's a human being. Having said that, it will be best for both parties if he and BMC go their separate ways after the season. He has tons of talent, but Tejay obviously needs a fresh start in a different team.
Tons ot talent? I saw glimpses of that talent in Dauphine 2015, but other than that, I think he has been pretty unspectacular going up against good WT-level competition.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Man, you guys are cruel. He's a human being. Having said that, it will be best for both parties if he and BMC go their separate ways after the season. He has tons of talent, but Tejay obviously needs a fresh start in a different team.
Tons ot talent? I saw glimpses of that talent in Dauphine 2015, but other than that, I think he has been pretty unspectacular going up against good WT-level competition.
Results have been lacking lately for sure, but he is a two time top 5 Tour finisher. Talent isn't his problem.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts