• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
ice&fire said:
This is on the way to become the sister thread of Betancur's

Not really. TJ does not have any fans and he is trying hard, or at least pretending that he is trying hard. Fatancur on the other hand ...
They are different riders and their fans are different as well, and that includes the alleged non-existence of TJ fans.
But the amount of posts in both threads is out of proportion with their results ;)

You cant blame a DS in the middle of the Giro for putting some spin on things.....He may think its a disaster but he is not going to call it so ...he is not the team owner or sponsor

As for TJ there is a element of bashing going on ...I mean he is not responsible for the hype ...and the thing about most of these riders ...and all top sports people ...very little seperates them in ability

What really seperates them is mindset..... And for TJ this is as plain as the nose on his face.....He didnt suddenly stop being able to keep up with the peloton since Romandie

There is a weight of expectation on him in a GT , he is probably a very fragile character and for whatever reason this takes its toll and he goes backwards

This is psychological.... The team knows the number he can out and have a good assessment of his physical ability

At Romandie TG was nearly knocked down in his TT by a car if you remember and he ended up banging on the side of the car....a predictable response ...In his diary Nico Roche sai TJ then spent ages fretting over this ?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Mayomaniac said:
Maybe he should just get out of his comfort zone and sign with a non American team, try something different.
Or maybe sign with Jelly Belly and race the American calender. Lol.
Well, it worked for Lachlan Morton, it wouldn't be the worst option.

TJ's take:
VN: Things haven’t gone as you expected. How do you assess your situation now?
Tejay van Garderen: I definitely had high hopes coming into this event, and this is not how I envisioned my Giro going. I don’t really know what else to say.

VN: Are you suffering from an illness or any physical problem?
TVG: I don’t really want to make excuses. Every time I try to make an explanation, everyone says, oh, he’s just making more excuses. It’s a lose-lose situation; if I try to give an explanation, then it’s an excuse, and if I don’t, then people don’t accept that, either. Right now, my body is just kind of failing. I don’t know why. I did feel a little bit of a heat stroke on the day before Blockhaus, but I was able to dump some water over my head. I ate and drank, and I felt like I dodged a bullet. Since then, I feel like I can’t really get into the red. That’s the only explanation I can come up with. I don’t know …

VN: You seemed like you were on track in your approach to the Giro.
TVG: I feel like I put in a perfect month of training. I feel like I did everything right. I wasn’t doing anything stupid or experimental. I was keeping everything simple. And Romandie was good. I felt like I showed the legs were good there. I was up there on the summit finish and the time trial. I had that small crash in the prologue, but even with the crash, I wasn’t that far behind … [pauses] … It’s really confusing, frustrating. I know what people are probably saying about me. I don’t even look at cycling websites anymore, and I deleted my social media accounts. I know what people are saying. Every time I want to prove them wrong … I don’t know why it’s not working.

VN: It must be frustrating because you’ve shown in the past you could be at the top level.
TVG: Sometimes I tell myself, maybe I am not a grand tour rider. That doesn’t mean I am not a good rider. But other times I look at who’s up there, and wait a minute, I’ve beaten these guys before — I’ve beaten them just last week. I should be up there. Maybe I am not up there at the level of [Nairo] Quintana or [Chris] Froome, but I could be up there. For some reason, sometimes my legs … I don’t know.

VN: We know Max Sciandri spoke with you; what is he telling you to get through this Giro?
TVG: He’s trying to keep the morale up. Keep the team morale high. Reassess, try to use these couple of days to recover and get my body feeling like itself again, and then take any opportunity I can. Right now, I need to get my career back on track. In order to do that, you need to seize any opportunity that comes your way.

VN: You lost more time on Wednesday. What was happening there?
TVG: It was a hard, hard day. I was suffering to stay on the wheel. At the time, it only takes a split second, maybe we should just, instead of digging the hole deeper, let’s save it for a breakaway, and you can justify it in your mind at the time. Looking back, I don’t know if it would have been better to fight and stay there, or a good idea and save the legs and go for a breakaway. Hopefully I can get in one and have a good showing. And make that decision worthwhile.

VN: What’s next after this Giro?
TVG: I just want to get my career back on track. I don’t know what I’ll do after the Giro, but any race I go to, see it as an opportunity to do that.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

jaylew said:
TJ's take:
Tejay van Garderen: I definitely had high hopes coming into this event, and this is not how I envisioned my Giro going. I don’t really know what else to say.

TVG: I don’t really want to make excuses. Every time I try to make an explanation, everyone says, oh, he’s just making more excuses. It’s a lose-lose situation; if I try to give an explanation, then it’s an excuse, and if I don’t, then people don’t accept that, either. Right now, my body is just kind of failing. I don’t know why. I did feel a little bit of a heat stroke on the day before Blockhaus, but I was able to dump some water over my head. I ate and drank, and I felt like I dodged a bullet. Since then, I feel like I can’t really get into the red. That’s the only explanation I can come up with. I don’t know …

TVG: I feel like I put in a perfect month of training. I feel like I did everything right. I wasn’t doing anything stupid or experimental. I was keeping everything simple. And Romandie was good. I felt like I showed the legs were good there. I was up there on the summit finish and the time trial. I had that small crash in the prologue, but even with the crash, I wasn’t that far behind … [pauses] … It’s really confusing, frustrating. I know what people are probably saying about me. I don’t even look at cycling websites anymore, and I deleted my social media accounts. I know what people are saying. Every time I want to prove them wrong … I don’t know why it’s not working.

VN: It must be frustrating because you’ve shown in the past you could be at the top level.
TVG: Sometimes I tell myself, maybe I am not a grand tour rider. That doesn’t mean I am not a good rider. But other times I look at who’s up there, and wait a minute, I’ve beaten these guys before — I’ve beaten them just last week. I should be up there. Maybe I am not up there at the level of [Nairo] Quintana or [Chris] Froome, but I could be up there. For some reason, sometimes my legs … I don’t know.

VN: We know Max Sciandri spoke with you; what is he telling you to get through this Giro?
TVG: He’s trying to keep the morale up. Keep the team morale high. Reassess, try to use these couple of days to recover and get my body feeling like itself again, and then take any opportunity I can. Right now, I need to get my career back on track. In order to do that, you need to seize any opportunity that comes your way.

TVG: It was a hard, hard day. I was suffering to stay on the wheel. At the time, it only takes a split second, maybe we should just, instead of digging the hole deeper, let’s save it for a breakaway, and you can justify it in your mind at the time. Looking back, I don’t know if it would have been better to fight and stay there, or a good idea and save the legs and go for a breakaway. Hopefully I can get in one and have a good showing. And make that decision worthwhile.

TVG: I just want to get my career back on track. I don’t know what I’ll do after the Giro, but any race I go to, see it as an opportunity to do that.

... deleted social accounts ... clearly, he can't handle the pressure. Very mentally weak. Trying to hide like the loser he is. If he is not willing to face the reality like a real man, he should retire. Pathetic loser.

Wow, looking at the above comment......good for him for deleting social media. People can be clueless and cruel.
Hope TJ gets out of the slump and figures out what's going on so that he is able to find his place in the peleton (wherver that might be).
Being in the situation he is in must suck

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Jancouver said:
jaylew said:
TJ's take:

... deleted social accounts ... clearly, he can't handle the pressure. Very mentally weak. Trying to hide like the loser he is. If he is not willing to face the reality like a real man, he should retire. Pathetic loser.
:D :D :D

portugal11 said:
Jancouver said:
jaylew said:
TJ's take:

:D :D :D

You guys are quite horrible, classical keyboard warriors taunting a pro cyclist who has finished in the top 5 of the Tour twice. A person should never go out of their way to revel in the misery of others, a little sad really.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:
Wow, looking at the above comment......good for him for deleting social media. People can be clueless and cruel.
Hope TJ gets out of the slump and figures out what's going on so that he is able to find his place in the peleton (wherver that might be).
Being in the situation he is in must suck

Just FYI, I'm not on twitter/fakebook and never harassed anybody with my opinion.

That being said, the head in the sand approach is a clear sign of his mental weakness as he is unwilling to face or hear any negative comments. So yes, he is a loser in my book.

d067b805211ed1723f566ec8be75b1f2.jpg

I have posted similar previously - I query how well USA riders cope with living and riding in Europe on the WT, especially in the last 10 years - TJ is still a WT standard rider, but teams need to tread warily before offering him a contract - His complete adaptation to Europe is essential.

TRENDING THREADS